Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Chicago Marathon 2007

Chicago Marathon 2007
Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2007, 06:04 PM

Wow, was that crazy. It was really hot, so I managed a PW (personal worst) of 4:21 after running 3:17 last year (pulling a hammy around China town really hurt). Great finishes at the end - the male champion was determined by 0.05 seconds, and the female champion raced passed the woman who had been in first but didn't realize she was being gained on. Big hub-bub right now about why the race was "canceled." When I was coming into the finish, I heard a police officer say "Walk it in, it's canceled", and I thought he was jut being a jack ass. But no, they started sending buses out to pick up people and started closing down the course. I don't know this to be the case, but I've heard some people complain that the real reason it was canceled was because aid stations were running out of gatorade (saw this on the comment section of ESPN). Hope that's not the case - Lasalle usually does a great job.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2007, 06:08 PM

At least you finished. I heard 10, 000 quit somewhere along the line.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2007, 06:10 PM

I think that was 10,000 skipped the race altogether.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 7, 2007, 09:42 PM

What I read on Yahoo said that almost 11,000 stopped during the course. 88ºF and really high humidity (the kind Chicago is rumored to have a patent on) are just Bad News™ for any kind of outdoor activity, especially something as taxing as a marathon. Ghoser, I'm glad you finished with only a bum hamstring-not being hospitalized (something over 300 people were hospitalized according to the news). Sheesh!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2007, 10:04 PM

Yeah, report is now that 10,000 didn't show up, and another 11,000 started but didn't finish. That's almost half the field! Everyone I've talked to was at least 30 minutes off what they would normally run. I had a buddy who ran his first marathon today - tough way to be introduced to the sport. His away message on AIM captures it all: "That was the most awful sporting event of my life..."

pinenuts
Baninated
Location: i have moved to another location per peter's message
Oct 8, 2007, 01:46 AM

I know a guy who is an EMT and used to cover the walk. He says they are very well prepared but this heat surprised everyone. Sadly, there was a death.

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2007, 10:54 AM

Wow, looks like the aid station issue was real. I don't know how this happened, but there were problems as early as the mile 6 aid station!

YouTube - Chicago Marathon 2007 Aid Station Fiasco
YouTube - 2007 Chicago Marathon

This effected a lot of people who were aiming for somewhere in the 4+ hour range. I can't imagine how this could happen.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2007, 12:10 PM

Wow, terrible. That snafu combined with the weather made for a real disaster.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2007, 01:31 PM

I wonder if the geographic home town of the runners factored into how well they coped? 88 and humid is very pleasant here (Florida). Heck, it's just starting to get down that low again here. If you live and train here, I would imagine the Chicago marathon's conditions would be fine for you. On the other hand, if you live and train here, you don't want to go run a race in Denver, as it makes you feel like there is no air to breathe.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 02:00 PM

Ghoser777, good on ya for finishing! A marathon in good weather is tough enough, I don't even like to drive 26 miles...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2007, 02:03 PM

it's tobad that so many people didn't make it. there was a marathon today in boston for something, and the weather couldn't be any better. chilly, cloud cover, light rain.

side note: I've never known what snafu stood for until last week: situation normal, all fked up

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 8, 2007, 02:11 PM

Maybe it was the...Boston....Marathon?

My dad qualified for his age group last year but couldn't miss work to go.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2007, 02:16 PM

Wait. People do this for fun? Without someone with a cattle-prod behind them?

Congrats on finishing, Ghoser.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2007, 02:18 PM

Oops, yeah; neglected to say: congrats in any case Ghoser. May the next one treat you better!

Forum Links
Forum Rules