Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > outlook express identities too large too load

outlook express identities too large too load
alexkent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2001, 01:53 PM

help!

outlook express just stopped working on me. it crashes everytime with type 3 errors.
the only way i can make it run is to remove my identity folder from the OE5.02 folder, then it works, but obviosly has no data.
i guess this is because my identity is now somewhere around 70mb, (i am one of those people who keeps all their email, including attachments) and that is too much for it.
but it is a catch 22 because i can't open the identity in outlook to reduce the size of it so outlook will work.
i can however import the identity into entourage fine, so i know there is nothing fundamentally screwed with it, but i don't really want to because i like OE i don't want all the other crap that entourage gives me that i'll never use.

any ideas how i can reduce the size of the identity without destroying it??

oh, i have tried putting the memory allocation for oe up to 300mb and it doesn't help.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2001, 02:28 PM

Have you tried rebuilding the indexes? boot w/ Option key down. It can do two things, compact is step one, you can skip it and step two, verify or something?

I'd think that if you set it to 90MB that would be enough. BACKUP. Do you still have the original somewhere safe?

You can drag individual messages to desktop folders, then drag them on top of OE mail folder after you have deleted the messages.

Same with Contacts. You want to export, and also copy to desktop folder, delete all of them, then drag and drop them back on the address window.

Roughly.

There are also q/a on the microsoft.public newsgroup others running into same.

Gregory

alexkent  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2001, 04:49 PM

yeah, i tried rebuilding the index's and conpressing and stuff by starting OE holding option/alt (not booting! i understood what you meant) but it didn't help; as soon as it finished compressing it quit again.
i'll look in the newsgroup.

thanks for the info. any other ideas??

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2001, 09:50 AM

I was really tired! Meant "launch" or booting OE (off your drive). Made me think about going back to using something else like NC 4.75.

is there a shareware program (check version tracker) that can extract messages (archive) from OE without OE running?

Also, Eudora 5.0 was able to import from OE. Not sure if that feature is in the ad-ware, paid-mode or whatnot - but it did work (I helped test that feature at one point).

It will find every copy on your drives, so ideally create a disk copy image of the folders and leave just the one you need (it was and is hard to tell which one it wants to import it seems).

Surprised I forgot that -

Greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules