Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The Future of 9?

The Future of 9?
IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 12:36 PM

How long do you think untill apple cans 9?

I like 9 more then x so I hope not anytime soon.

But I am probebly wrong

Franck
Oct 16, 2001, 12:44 PM

IMHO, any Mac will boot under OS X at MWSF '02.

Early 2003, Macs won't ship with OS 9 installed.
in 2004, OS 9 won't be supported anymore.

just my 2 cents.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2001, 01:15 PM

It will be a lot sooner than 2004 that OS 9 won't be supported on the then current (now future) hardware.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2001, 01:44 PM

It depends.

If you're talking about booting into OS9, I'd give it one year max. Probably less. You'd still be able to run OS9 via Classic, but not boot straight into it.

Classic support, however, will probably continue for quite some time, probably 2005 at the earliest.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Richard Clark
Senior User
Oct 16, 2001, 02:48 PM

I look at 9 the way the 680XX to PPC transistion occured. But I feel it will tak much longer since we're talking interface versus circuit boards.

My best guess is that 9 will be supported for at least two years. Classic? Well........two years as well.

It all comes down to how well programs are created and supplied, if they replace all old 9 apps and if people buy them or not.

I'm sounding wishy washy so I'll put it this way -

The boat's rocking and getting to shore will be very muddy!

"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 03:02 PM

OSX will be the default OS in March 2002.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

IUJHJSDHE  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
<STRONG>OSX will be the default OS in March 2002.</STRONG>
why do you say that?

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by IUJHJSDHE:
<STRONG>

why do you say that?</STRONG>
Because that is what Schiller said at the last Developer meeting.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Scrod
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 09:36 PM

I abused my signature until she cried.

IUJHJSDHE  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2001, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by Scrod:
<STRONG>The future of Mac OS 9</STRONG>
Ok thank you.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2001, 02:43 AM

<STRONG>

Because that is what Schiller said at the last Developer meeting.</STRONG>
And also when the 12 hours of OS X transitions are up. Can't believe no one spotted that one before...

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

IUJHJSDHE  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2001, 03:51 AM

<STRONG>OSX will be the default OS in March 2002.</STRONG>
what do you meen default?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2001, 04:42 AM

<STRONG>

what do you meen default?</STRONG>
meaning that when you boot up a mac which was sold in or after March 2002, you will see a Mac OS X login screen.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 17, 2001, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by Franck:
<STRONG>IMHO, any Mac will boot under OS X at MWSF '02.

Early 2003, Macs won't ship with OS 9 installed.
in 2004, OS 9 won't be supported anymore.
</STRONG>
Though I agree that development on OS 9 will be relegated to whatever makes it run better as "classic", I highly doubt they will ever not include it.

Consider "classic" to be like the 68K emulator that shipped with PPC Macs -- old software will be around for a long, long time -- and Classic will be how you run it.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2001, 05:57 AM

I have a feeling that the classic environment will continue to get better and more integrated into X so that maybe a year from now "OS 9" won't be the OS 9 that we've come to recognize, as far as classic is concerned. I certainly hope that Apple can figure out a way to get quartz shadowing and other effects to at least work somewhat with classic. RIght now it is really an eyesore. I have a feeling that eventually, through the use of a lot of Appearance Manager hacks, OS 9 apps will look and feel like OS X apps while running in classic. And I think Apple's appearance hacks will be much better than the schemes and themes out there right now. Well at least I hope. . .

And I think that 9 will continue to ship on Macs until March 2003. However it will be supported for much longer. Figure someone who buys a Mac in Feb 2003 still has rights to support on 9, and if they purchased extended AppleCare that could be for some time.

I personally hope to never have to see OS 9 again by March. However that might be overly optimistic.

chris_h
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2001, 06:45 AM

<STRONG>I like 9 more then x</STRONG>
You, sir, are one sick individual.

That is all.

-ch

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2001, 08:39 AM

<STRONG>How long do you think untill apple cans 9?

I like 9 more then x so I hope not anytime soon.

But I am probebly wrong </STRONG>
Hmmm. I'm not sure Apple really has the authority to ditch 9 all by itself - or did you mean going it alone without 9 ?

I mean, despite being much maligned, 9 still has a vital role to play, sitting squarely as it does between 8 and 10. Removing 9 could pose significant difficulties, not least to questions such as "what's 7 plus 2 ?"

Think of all the house numbers that would have to change - and the potential postal confusion.

The suggestion of substituting 9 with x is clearly ridiculous - equations such as "x + y = 2xy" would suddenly take on new meaning.

I hope Apple can be persuaded to retain 9 at all costs. Personally, I think 3 has had it's day, and is long overdue for replacement, possibly with �

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2001, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
<STRONG>

Hmmm. I'm not sure Apple really has the authority to ditch 9 all by itself - or did you mean going it alone without 9 ?

I mean, despite being much maligned, 9 still has a vital role to play, sitting squarely as it does between 8 and 10. Removing 9 could pose significant difficulties, not least to questions such as "what's 7 plus 2 ?"

Think of all the house numbers that would have to change - and the potential postal confusion.

The suggestion of substituting 9 with x is clearly ridiculous - equations such as "x + y = 2xy" would suddenly take on new meaning.

I hope Apple can be persuaded to retain 9 at all costs. Personally, I think 3 has had it's day, and is long overdue for replacement, possibly with �</STRONG>
LOL
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2001, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
<STRONG>

I mean, despite being much maligned, 9 still has a vital role to play, sitting squarely as it does between 8 and 10. Removing 9 could pose significant difficulties, not least to questions such as "what's 7 plus 2 ?" </STRONG>
I don't know, a friend of mine was hypnotized at a party and told to forget the number 7. It worked too.

So it's not so much about having authority as about having a big enough pocket watch.

wait a minute... 10.0 was slow, almost relaxing, there was a attention grabbing swirling rainbow, ... I'm getting sleepy.

What if we're already missing a numeral !?!
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2001, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Gavin:
<STRONG>

wait a minute... 10.0 was slow, almost relaxing, there was a attention grabbing swirling rainbow, ... I'm getting sleepy.

What if we're already missing a numeral !?!</STRONG>
The number is bleen. It belongs between 6 and 7. Don't you remember running OS Bleen? Everyone complaining about how slow it was?

(Old Carlin joke)
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Rickster
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2001, 08:35 PM

It's hard to tell, but the language on http://www.apple.com/powerbook makes it look like yesterday's new hardware ships with 10.1 as the default system and the options to switch back into 9.2, instead of the other way around.

I'd be willing to bet that by MWNY '02, new Macs will lose the ability to boot native OS 9.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2001, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:
<STRONG>I'd be willing to bet that by MWNY '02, new Macs will lose the ability to boot native OS 9.</STRONG>
Could they even do that? Unless they do something similar to when they went PPC, I don't see how they could easily limit the OS from being installed on the computer.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Particle Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2001, 11:35 PM

They could easily break OS9. Look at the little updates that had to come out with every hardware revision. If they can find a way to keep OS9 in Classic from needing those changes (not hard since it's not supposed to talk to the hardware directly) then they can break OS9. It'd be just like trying to install a version of the MacOS on a computer to old to run that version.
You've got the best computer on the planet. Use it to help us CRUSH all competition. Join Team Macnn NOW!

Rickster
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2001, 06:11 AM

Almost every time Apple has introduced new hardware, they had to do a minor rev of the Classic Mac OS to support it, unless they were doing a less-minor rev of the OS at the same time. System 6.0.1 through 6.0.8, 7.0.1 with all its various "System Enabler" files, 7.5.2, 9.0.1 through 9.0.3, and probably others I don't remember. Same With Mac OS X (the 10.0.4 for Quicksilver is a slightly higher build number than the one shipped via software update). Apple could easily decide to stop making more minor 9.x updates just to support new hardware.

More importantly, though, I'm sure Apple's hardware engineers are itching for the opportunity to drop OS 9 support. When you boot OS X, half the stuff that's in the boot ROM never gets touched -- if Apple were to design a X-only Mac, they could strip all that out, even add some new enhancements to the firmware, and ship it on a smaller EEPROM. There's probably still some ASICs around that OS X doesn't need, too. Less custom silicon for Apple to make means more Mac for your buck.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Forum Links
Forum Rules