Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.1 Update Necessary?

10.1 Update Necessary?
mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2001, 05:29 PM

I've had 10.0.4 first as a 10.0 that I originally bought, as well as 10.0.4 on my new 867 speeddemon. I like many others had to test new builds because its a little human trait called impatience. So I have what supposedly is GM 5G64 installed. I just got my 10.1 update CD from Apple and am wondering if I should reinstall it. Are the pirated builds really the final 10.1 or did the final burned CDs get some debugging removed or optimized?

DVD works. Everything runs great, but I just can't help but think that I missing out on maybe something faster because I don't have the true 10.1.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

ErsatzTom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2001, 05:34 PM

I'm in almost the same boat... the main difference being that apple has STILL not shipped my 10.1 update. I ordered it the day it was released. *sigh* Anyway, one thing I noticed was that with the 5G64 that I installed was that there was no iDVD. Is it included with the update or are they only putting it on systems shipping with 10.1 and with a DVD-R drive? I bought a QuckSilver right after they were released with a DVD-R drive, so it is my understanding that I should get it...

tom

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2001, 05:56 PM

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Don't start this again...5G64 is 10.1 end of story, there are no changes, no secret builds, no optimizations, no last minute changes. They use build numbers for a reason, to keep track of what they have done and what's in it. Build numbers are for Apple's use, so it would defeat the purpose to have different feature sets under the same build number.

Please let this topic die once and for all.

mrchin  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2001, 10:38 AM

Hope it really is 10.1. So all the posts earlier on these fora about bleh bleh bleh having optimizations are false? I hope so.

iDVD 2 isn't out yet. My Quicksilver came with iDVD 1 but that's for OS 9. 2 hasn't been released and once it is, we'll be able to order it for 20 bucks like the update on CD. At least that's what I heard.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2001, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by mrchin:
<STRONG>Hope it really is 10.1. So all the posts earlier on these fora about bleh bleh bleh having optimizations are false? I hope so. </STRONG>
WHEN WILL YOU PEOPLE FINALLY UNDERSTAND THAT A BUILD IS A BUILD, EACH BUILD IS ASSIGNED A NUMBER, THAT NUMBER IS UNIQUE TO THAT BUILD, THERE ARE NO 2 BUILDS WITH THE SAME NUMBER, AND APPLE DOESN'T HAVE DEBUGGING CODE THAT IT MIRACUOUSLY TURNS OFF BEFORE RELEASES!!!

I thought that this was made clear enough around the 10.0 release.

ntsc
Senior User
Oct 9, 2001, 03:41 PM

Just be careful that is IS 5G64 there is nothing to stop someone changing the build string which would make it appear that you have 5G64 but you could in fact have any build which was indistinguishable unless looked at by someone who knew Apple's builds.
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

Forum Links
Forum Rules