Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The official non-healthcare Canada + US co-existence thread

The official non-healthcare Canada + US co-existence thread
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2017, 08:36 PM

I'm a dual citizen born in Canada and living here now, and it's been amazing to me how apparent the different directions the two countries are headed in are.

Trudeau's rhetoric is largely all about equality, inclusiveness, pro-immigration, not offending people, etc. Trump's, in many ways I wouldn't say is the direct opposite, but something about the way he carries himself seems to inspire people who believe the exact opposite on many of these issues, and Trump doesn't seem eager to distance himself from these groups. They seem to have more of a voice now than ever in my lifetime.

Secondly, a lot of anger has been monopolizing a lot of American news these days. Race related, KKK/Neo-nazi stuff, anti-Muslim, etc. I kind of feel like Canada is sort of a sanctuary country in many respects in terms of being sheltered from this sort of fairly regular violence. It obviously has its share of racists and hate groups like you'll find anywhere in the world, as well as some French vs. English tensions and tensions among First Nations and others, but they don't seem as mobilized and apparent as what fuels these massive American rallies, protests, and demonstrations. Toronto and Vancouver are quite multi-cultural, with extremely low crime rates so while large parts of Canada perhaps don't have to deal with diverse populations co-existing, its cities do, although obviously there are huge population differences and patterns.

Reading this I'm sure a number of people will be eager to knock what I'm saying down a peg or three, but I'm not trying to make this thread competitive or nationalistic. Canada has a number of problems, and America still has many amazing things going for it. Where I'm going with this is this...

As tensions escalate in the US, do you think after a while we'll see a small or large civil war in America, and out of it one side that is influenced by this Canadian approach? Or, will Canada remain pretty irrelevant to the US if this does happen?

I would say the latter, but I kind of feel like the American left and right are both kind of lost right now, whereas Canada seems largely culturally healthy. I'm inclined to think that Canada will remain largely irrelevant, but perhaps will become more relevant than in years past in some ways in terms of being a model, perhaps a place for some to seek asylum/refuge, etc.?

Vague, I know, but thoughts on the future of Canadian and American co-existence?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2017, 06:32 AM

Just think of Canada as the Shire and America as Mordor.
They'll be coming for you eventually.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2017, 01:23 PM

Americans don't really think about Canada that much, and when they do, it's either because they are definitely going to move there if that guy gets elected, or it's in broad-stroke stereotypes (hockey, apologising, mounties, waiting times for life-saving surgery).

Pierre Trudeau once said being a neighbour to the US was like sleeping with an elephant- and I think it's true in more ways than one.

I say this as a person married to a Canadian, and as a person who has spent a good bit of time in Canada and is very, very fond of the country. If we hadn't moved to the UK, we would have seriously considered heading to the Great White North.

But honestly, we, as people, just don't give the relationship much thought.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2017, 04:02 AM

If there is a civil war, my money's on the side with the food and guns.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2017, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Americans don't really think about Canada that much, and when they do, it's either because they are definitely going to move there if that guy gets elected, or it's in broad-stroke stereotypes (hockey, apologising, mounties, waiting times for life-saving surgery).

Pierre Trudeau once said being a neighbour to the US was like sleeping with an elephant- and I think it's true in more ways than one.

I say this as a person married to a Canadian, and as a person who has spent a good bit of time in Canada and is very, very fond of the country. If we hadn't moved to the UK, we would have seriously considered heading to the Great White North.

But honestly, we, as people, just don't give the relationship much thought.

Agreed.

It's easy to overlook Canada, but there is some interesting stuff going on culturally.

For example, I don't think anybody (or at least few people, in case I'm overstating things) fears the police.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2017, 07:54 AM

You down with OPP?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2017, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
You down with OPP?
I think the clever thing to say would be "you know me"?

andi*pandi
Aug 25, 2017, 05:41 PM

I like Canada.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2017, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I think the clever thing to say would be "you know me"?
Yeah, you know me, eh?

Forum Links
Forum Rules