Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Lost in the shuffle: Where were the police in Charlottesville?

Lost in the shuffle: Where were the police in Charlottesville?
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 17, 2017, 07:20 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me the police were a non-factor in Charlottesville. Case-in-point, a man was literally beat to death by nazis right next door to the station.

I think back to other riots and protests with people of, uh, color and I immediately think of tear gas, etc. Was the police reaction here as forceful?

If not, why do you think that is?

(I'll give you a sneak preview: I'm not going to call outright racism on this one, i.e., "Because it was white people protesting." Not without real evidence.)

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2017, 08:21 PM

On subject, now. Some were claiming that the police were pulled back intentionally, to let the white supremacists and Antifa mix it up. Not sure how much validity there is to that, but it seems to fit.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 18, 2017, 11:53 AM

Chongo posted a video that he says claims that the police were ordered back when antifa brought out tear gas.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 18, 2017, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Chongo posted a video that he says claims that the police were ordered back when antifa brought out tear gas.
To which I'd say, how were the police not tear-gassing them and the others before that?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2017, 05:55 PM

Two men enter, one man leaves. It was Charlottesville Thunderdome, all for public consumption.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2017, 06:09 PM

Googling around for possible explanations.

One thing which I'm sure factored into it is a couple months ago there was a Klan rally in Charlottesville, and the Klan was outnumbered 30-to-1.

The cops ended up gassing the people who showed up to protest the KKK.

Which is a bad look, and they took shit for it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2017, 06:15 PM

I can see cops being of the mind "give us shit for trying to stop the violence? Fine. Literally knock yourselves out."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 18, 2017, 06:58 PM

I can't find good pictures but did they have a presence like this?

OreoCookie
Aug 18, 2017, 07:46 PM

I read a few mentions that the cops were intimidated by the right-wing extremists' arsenal or, alternatively, that because many of them were so well-armed that they would actually risk escalation if they had tried to separate protestors and counter-protestors. I'm not sure I buy either, in the end it is up to the police to keep it peaceful. But the right-wing extremists were certainly prepared, many of them carried shields and flags whose poles could be repurposed as bats and batons.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2017, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think I get your point, but I also am familiar with my track record, and request it be made more explicitly.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2017, 09:08 PM

Looking back (almost positive that's ferguson) at that image I am highly disturbed.

I am glad, however, that kind of presence was not used. We should not need a military occupation of our own streets to keep the peace.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2017, 09:15 PM

I also wonder if that manner of crowd control really helps? There is probably no remedy for a large crowd that is riled up.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2017, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I also wonder if that manner of crowd control really helps? There is probably no remedy for a large crowd that is riled up.
I feel like with the KKK rally, the police were put in an untenable situation.

If any single one of the 1,000 counter-protesters breaks bad, the police have to respond, and then for all intents and purposes, they just picked a fight with 999 people.

To defend the KKK.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 19, 2017, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I think I get your point, but I also am familiar with my track record, and request it be made more explicitly.
That point lurks behind the surface. It probably influenced prep, but once the protest happened? Oreo picked up on it. I think the police weren't ****ing with a bunch of possibly trigger-happy military cosplayers.

I saw a video (I can no longer find) of the supremacists literally using a crowd to push back on the riot shields to displace the police. I'm surprised the police wouldn't take that as provocation.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 19, 2017, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Looking back (almost positive that's ferguson) at that image I am highly disturbed.

I am glad, however, that kind of presence was not used. We should not need a military occupation of our own streets to keep the peace.
I'm glad they didn't use bullets, but they also tear gassed indiscriminately and jailed reporters, so they still utterly failed in my opinion. It just wasn't a catastrophe.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 19, 2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I feel like with the KKK rally, the police were put in an untenable situation.

If any single one of the 1,000 counter-protesters breaks bad, the police have to respond, and then for all intents and purposes, they just picked a fight with 999 people.

To defend the KKK.
This is why I'm surprised they didn't use tear gas to disperse the crowds. Yes, they might get shit for it, but would it really be worse than what they're getting for looking either weak or indifferent?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2017, 12:28 PM

This is why I'm surprised they didn't use tear gas to disperse the crowds. Yes, they might get shit for it, but would it really be worse than what they're getting for looking either weak or indifferent?
Would this have been the case if no one had driven a car into the melee?

If not, then the accusation is the cops lacked hindsight. When was the last time something like that happened in this country?

In contrast, I bet the cops were paying very close attention to the guys with rifles.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2017, 08:50 PM

Here's the other thing: Where are all the arrests? Are they hitting antifa? They still haven't gotten the guys beating the black man next to the station.

Now this comes out: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/25/u...t-police.html?

I'd think police would be eager to enact retribution on carpetbaggers coming in and making their city a national spectacle, but their response is muted. Like, is anybody home, muted. I'm flabbergasted.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2017, 11:38 PM

There are times I put my foot down.

They gave the news a soundtrack. I simply refuse to watch news with a soundtrack.

Forum Links
Forum Rules