Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook keyboard - long term thoughts?

MacBook keyboard - long term thoughts?
atreides
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2007, 02:30 AM

I'm purchasing a new laptop to finish my BA and hopefully survive through my MA. The MacBook looks like the perfect solution, but can anyone tell me how well the keyboard holds up over time and through a great deal of typing? I'm used to a mechanical switch keyboard with my desktop PC (rated for millions of keystrokes), and this is my first laptop - the keyboard feels nice at the store, but will it last me through the next three years, countless research papers, and a thesis?

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 20, 2007, 04:08 AM

I should think so, but why not extend your AppleCare to 3 years, then if anything goes wrong you can have the keyboard/whatever replaced..?

hatim
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2007, 11:45 AM

I've had my macbook since May 2006. I haven't liked the keyboard very much since it misses keystrokes much like most notebooks but it hasn't deteriorated and so I think you should be fine.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 12:21 PM

I've had mine for over a year and the keys still type like the day I bought it. Because the spacing is a little different you have to get used to typing on it... but that doesnt take too long. And I also recommend extending the warranty like Jono said.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2007, 02:28 PM

It took me at most a day to take control of the keyboard. Overall I love it and am anxiously awaiting the bluetooth version for my docking setup.

nickw311
Senior User
Sep 20, 2007, 11:29 PM

I am in law school and am constantly typing on it every day in class and for exams and notes - the keyboard has held up very well for me.

I will also endorse getting the extended warranty though.
27" iMac C2D

applemacbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2007, 12:10 AM

It gets dirty like all keyboards do, but it's rather comfortable once you get used to it.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2007, 01:42 AM

Barring IBM (Lenovo) Thinkpads, the Macbook has the best keyboard I've used on any portable. It holds up really well, and is very responsive and quick.

Cold Warrior
Sep 21, 2007, 10:50 AM

I've had the first-gen model for over a year now and it has help up very well. It took only a few hours of typing for me to get adjusted to the keys, and I have come to like it -- so much so that I want to get one of Apple's new external keyboards.

atreides  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2007, 01:07 PM

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to hold out for Leopard (and keep my fingers crossed that there will be a MacBook upgrade with the release), and then buy a new MacBook with Applecare.

joe
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2007, 03:45 PM

The low profile keyboard wasn't as much of a concern for me since my MacBook was bought as a backup for my G5 Tower. But having owned it for just over a year I've grown accustom to it and even prefer it over some full size keyboards. You can really get a lot of speed out of it once you get use to the shorter throw of the keys.

atreides  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2007, 12:43 PM

My big concern wasn't the feel of the keyboard, so much as the keyboard's ability to stand up to years of excessive use. I like the ergonomics of it, and I hope Apple continues the design.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2007, 01:05 PM

i love the macbook keyboard but i think you should also check out the macbook pro keyboard. i personally think that the g4 powerbook alu's and macbook pro's have the best notebook keyboards ever made, and if all you're going to use your machine for is web stuff and typing you could get a super cheap powerbook for lots less than a macbook, which will include stuff like backlit keyboards, bigger screens, etc...
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

nickclarson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2007, 05:42 AM

Kind of glad you brought this up as I was wondering this myself. I have had a macbook as well for over a year now and no problems yet, but I was curious to what others have to say.

Personally, I would recommend getting a second usb/bluetooth keyboard that you can use when you are at home. Not only are you leaving the built in keyboard alone, but you also get the num pad and a bunch of other cool features like iTunes controls (with the new Mac keyboard).

Tim Collier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2007, 06:34 AM

Had my MacBook for nearly a year now and the keyboard is doing fine. In my opinion, I love the keyboard. I like how it's layed out and how it's easy to type for long periods of time with it. Great keyboard, probably one of the best I have used.

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2007, 01:39 PM

It's a nice keyboard among other laptops since the keys are spaced out fairly well. Although I'm a little quick on the board and sometimes I type letters too fast I guess but yea it'll probably hold up better than most. Also if you're "lucky" enough to get a chip on your mackbook within warranty you GET A BRAND NEW ONE WOOT!

nickclarson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2007, 04:50 PM

Yea, I definitely love the spacing and feel to the keys. Honestly one of my all time favorite keyboards!! That's why I snatched up the new Apple Keyboard when it came out, as it's pretty much the same thing plus the num pad and a few other features. Really am liking it.

@sogbrightlight - WOW i'll have to check on my warranty and maybe make a few of those "chips" myself... lol.

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2007, 05:11 PM

although you might have to battle with apple to get them to do it but whatever.
Bla Bla Bla

Forum Links
Forum Rules