Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PC to Mac Pro Transfer of Photographs

PC to Mac Pro Transfer of Photographs
Photocro
Jan 10, 2008, 03:21 PM

Now that I am starting to get used to the Mac Pro I will need to transfer a few hundred photographs to my Mac from my old PC. I understand this can be done with an ethernet cable but am not sure of the proper cable or the method of doing so. My Mac does not have windows installed and, unless I absolutely have to do so, it won't.
So what I am looking for is the proper way to accomplish this. I would like to transfer into CS3 bridge and am not sure how to do that. I suppose that will be an option for me to select on the mac before initiating the transfer. Thanks for any help or direction to an instructional source for this info.

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2008, 04:00 PM

Can you not transfer the pictures to a memory card and then onto the MP?
Mac Pro Quad 2.66Ghz with 5Gb memory, 2.2Tb internal HDD, 750Gb external HDD and 30" Apple Cinema Display

Photocro  (op)
Jan 10, 2008, 04:48 PM

I hadn't thought of that! That would be to straight forward! Thanks for that. I can certainly do that. Been studying the new CS3 and bridge, the new Mac and fretting over those photographs that such a simple approach never occurred to me. Thanks for cutting through the haze. Much appreciated!

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2008, 04:53 PM

Anytime!

I would look at something like Aperture for your photography needs though as it kicks some serious booty!!
Mac Pro Quad 2.66Ghz with 5Gb memory, 2.2Tb internal HDD, 750Gb external HDD and 30" Apple Cinema Display

Photocro  (op)
Jan 10, 2008, 07:54 PM

Does anyone know of a site (Apple?) that I can see a live presentation, interactive, in which I can check out the features of Aperture. I don't mean that I want to upload and post process a photograph of mine on the site, just see how interactive it is for my needs. I should explain my needs.

I have been shooting wine industry machines, innovations, some of which get to market and some don't, for the last 5 or so years. I fell into it because of some vineyard shots I have done which were directly into the sun and I have always done them with film. Film works as the disc of the sun can be retained and the digital cameras run the risk of sensor failure due to the intensity. The other factor that got me this gig is that I use hot lights for interior work, not strobes. In the conditions I work , interiors, I need to use film for the latitude it gives me in post processing. Now, this is what works for me and I am saying nothing against digital. I just haven't used it and don't want to learn its peculiarities in the middle of this aspect of my work.

The other reason I haven't tried Aperture as I am happy, for what I do, with Capture and Photo Shop. Capture as it has an intuitive interface and with PS as I can add text with no problem. So, these are my parameters. Would Aperture work in encompassing these requirements?

Forum Links
Forum Rules