Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Recovered Files in Trash

Recovered Files in Trash
Photocro
Jan 26, 2008, 03:04 PM

Running Leopard on Mac Pro Quad Xeon. I have, a couple times, seen "Recovered Files" in the trash. I did not put them there and do not know how to handle them. I believe that this is what occurred when I first started using the MP and accidentally trashed my System Preferences. Not wanting to make this mistake again I thought I better ask for some input from the forum. These particular files happen to be Adobe Bridge CS3. If they are needed, as I think they are, how do I find where to replace them to? Thanks.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2008, 03:23 PM

It's normal that they appear from time to time and they are not needed. In fact it's practically impossible to make any use of them whatsoever. You can safely delete them.

Technically they are temporary files created by applications that have not been deleted by the application that created them after use (either because it crashed before it had a chance to delete them or because it was sloppily programmed).

Photocro  (op)
Jan 26, 2008, 08:07 PM

The reason I asked was because I think, think is the operative word here, that I deleted my system preferences, since brought back with Pacifist, when I deleted them in trash where they appeared as these do. Is this just an Apple (Jobs) type of mistake or what can I do to make sure that I am doing the right thing as far as those items that appear in the trash that are unexpected? Were it not for the loss of the sysprefs, however that happened, I would not be concerned.

mchladek
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2008, 11:27 PM

Is it indicative of a larger problem if a recovered files folder is persistently showing up in the trash? I would say about 50% of the time I boot up there is a recovered files folder in the trash.

I first noticed it several months ago when I was still using my old iBook G4 running Tiger. I figured it was just something weird with my installation of Tiger (it was doing a couple other strange things). I'm now on a new MacBook. I stupidly used the Migration Assistant to transfer everything from my old iBook. Now, of course, I'm having the same thing happen under Leopard. I created a new user, but it's still doing it.

Any ideas? Or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2008, 11:48 PM

It's not an indication of a problem.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2008, 01:09 AM

It just means you've got some app that isn't cleaning up its temp files properly.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2008, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Photocro View Post
The reason I asked was because I think, think is the operative word here, that I deleted my system preferences, since brought back with Pacifist, when I deleted them in trash where they appeared as these do.
Deleting /Applications/System Preferences.app (or moving it to the trash) would require an admin password.
[i.e., indicates a very deliberate user action... and/or, a funky "installer" program.]

Originally Posted by Photocro View Post
Is this just an Apple (Jobs) type of mistake or what can I do to make sure that I am doing the right thing as far as those items that appear in the trash that are unexpected?
Could always browse the Applications folder back in time (via Time Machine), and see what date it last existed.
That would be a handy way to recover it... and the date might provide a clue (e.g., was an app installed just after?).
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Mar 13, 2008 at 01:23 AM. )
-HI-

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2008, 01:33 AM

Those files are located in the Trash for a reason - they're almost completely useless. Don't worry about them.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules