Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac pro configuration

Mac pro configuration
mickp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 07:00 PM

Hi

I've recently converted to mac with a macbook (although used classics and SE/30s many years ago) We're going to replace our 6yr old pc desktop now with a desktop mac. I've ruled out the imac - neat, but glossy screen, limited upgradability and doesn't seem to support what we would be thinking of, at least 5/6 years of life. We're not pro users but do DV editing and quite a bit of handbrake type stuff. I suspect the lowest spec BTO mac pro quad core will meet our current needs (much fast than imac I wolud have thought), but would appreciate advice as to whether the base std config, ie 8 core would be better value in the long run - ie in 3 yrs time say would be still be giving me more scope to power graphics changes / blu ray and anything else that might come along. Somethings telling me to buy the best processor I can afford, RAM and HD space can always be added later

Thanks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2008, 07:54 PM

Take the extra cores; you'll appreciate them today when you can handbrake a few movies at the same time while doing your DV editing and whatnot. And in the long term the industry is moving to multithreaded coding. In theory you could take the 4core option now and add another CPU later, but it's unknown if Apple has done something to prevent that.

Buy the memory and HDD from third parties. Apple wants $250/GB for RAM, others have it for $100/GB or less. Apple wants $100 for the 320->500GB upgrade, others have 500GB drives for $100.

Photocro
Jan 28, 2008, 01:34 AM

OWC.com is where I got my "Netlist" RAM. Saved several hundred dollars and have a swift and precise machine. 9 GB's is what I needed and it is heaven, for now. May upgrade the RAM if I need more.

mickp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2008, 07:25 AM

cheers for the comments - some follow ups:

wireless bto option - can this be added at later stage? Or for a desktop in close proximity to a ethernet router, can anyone foresee a need for wireless?

std 320gb hard drive seems to have lower cache than 500gb option (8 vs 16mb) - will this matter for what I am doing on it?

Seems like I'm heading for the standard 2.8 8 core configuration probably with a Samsung 20" 2032 monitor, unless anyone can suggest others in a similar price range

bearcatrp
Senior User
Jan 28, 2008, 08:52 AM

Apple charges way to much for hard drives. Go with the lowest configuration on a hard drive. When you get it, newegg or macsales is a great place for hard drives. Use the one that comes with it for a back up after getting a bigger one. The more cache, the better on a hard drive.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by mickp View Post
wireless bto option - can this be added at later stage? Or for a desktop in close proximity to a ethernet router, can anyone foresee a need for wireless?
Unless you're going move the computer out of proximity of the router, I'd say the wireless connectivity for your desktop is remote. As a rule, I've not opted for that in the past and I've not regretted the decision.

std 320gb hard drive seems to have lower cache than 500gb option (8 vs 16mb) - will this matter for what I am doing on it?
Personally I'd say away from BTO options you have less options if the machine is defective. With BTO, you cannot return the computer or get it replaced if its DOA. You'll need to send it in for repair. Besides that, the memory, hard drives are much much cheaper else where.

mickp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2008, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the input

I'll put the money in the processor (ie standard configuration 8 core) and upgrade as required and as money permits by using RAM / HD etc from other sources

Kimtsu08
Banned
Jan 28, 2008, 12:40 PM

lower configuration for your hdd to fix it..

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 12:50 PM

I strongly agree, buy the stock 8-core configuration.

Also of interest is that BareFeats has tests that suggest 4-matched or 8-matched RAM DIMMs is the way RAM should be configured: <http://www.barefeats.com/harper3.html>. Personally I strongly recommend adding at least 8 GB RAM.

IMO CTO ordering is worth any (tiny) added issues as regards hardware return. The stock hard drive (apps and the OS should live there)is 50% full at 160 GB, making 320 GB just too small going forward. IMO it should be 500 GB or larger.

Also I have found it useful to have wireless in my desktop boxes. Even if at an initial setup location one more Cat 5 cable to broadband modem seems logical, setups often change over the 4-6 year life of a MP. It is very convenient not to have to worry about wired connecting to broadband. I have wireless at ~9 locations and strongly recommend it.

E.g. two weeks ago I set up an iMac at one of my primary client's homes, wired connection because I had not yet installed wireless. Three days ago she had me move the box to a new black lacquered desk setup. It looks much nicer wireless at the new location.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Jan 28, 2008 at 02:03 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules