Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Are we too rough with forum newbies?

Are we too rough with forum newbies? (Page 2)
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2008, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by boots View Post
Nope, they didn't kill it. But the reason for one space being accepted is because of justification, not because two spaces is stylistically wrong. If it's not justified or type set, two spaces are fine.
Killed may have been strong, but you seem to have ignored the whole first paragraph. Further searching will also show that using 2 spaces with non-monospaced fonts is quite frowned upon. Cripes, I can't believe people still think it's acceptable -- but what else can one expect from a world where "irregardless" is now considered a word?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
Okay, so I know I just spouted off about how I don't want to be a sanctimonious ass, but I thought that comment really needed to be preserved for posterity in case you noticed it and corrected it.

My apologies, but I really couldn't resist.

Edit: And after a quick look at the Dictionary in OSX, I now look like a total ass. I didn't realise that "pert" could also mean "impudent".
So often the way, isn't it.

I think it's completely irrelevant how someone writes. I am not trying to come off as overly politically correct, though it may sound that way. It's just what I happen to think on the matter and I have read linguistics at Uni for a couple of years, so it's not so much my being indifferent towards the matter. It's just more of a hassle to feel bothered by it, unless someone really jumps the shark with their grammatic wrenches. I've yet to come across a particularly horrid example of that here though. I may have missed it which is likely as I only surf two or three sections of these forums.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2008, 07:12 PM

Huh huh huh huh... you said "pert"... huh huh.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2008, 07:16 PM

What is with the whole "MAC" thing, anyway? I don't know where people get it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2008, 07:28 PM

I think it's because so many short computer terms are acronyms (or similar) — RAM, CD-ROM, CPU, PC, PCI, MB, GB, MHz, yada yada yada. Also, MAC is the name of a famous company, which probably doesn't help things.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Huh huh huh huh... you said "pert"... huh huh.

Another example is the breasts' photograph in your signature. They do look quite pert too. They could be friendlier looking, kinder as a whole. The left one in particular.

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Cripes, I can't believe people still think it's acceptable -- but what else can one expect from a world where "irregardless" is now considered a word?
You are ignoring the last...it's fine unless otherwise instructed. So, it's still considered acceptable. Of course, it hasn't been that long since it's been considered acceptable to do just one space. When I was going through college, it was still two. So you're condescending tone is a bit misplaced. Had any of my various editors actually said word one to me, I might have been clued in. But none of them have, so MLA says it's fine (as per the last paragraph).

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Another example is the breasts' photograph in your signature. They do look quite pert too. They could be friendlier looking, kinder as a whole. The left one in particular.
I like my breasts to be aggressive.

But don't blame me. Blame Romania. It's their fault. I wash my hands of the whole situation.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2008, 07:42 PM

So anyways. Have we come to a decision on whether we can kill/maim newbies yet?

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 07:45 PM

Yes, and yes/yes.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2008, 07:56 PM

You are ignoring the last...it's fine unless otherwise instructed. So, it's still considered acceptable. Of course, it hasn't been that long since it's been considered acceptable to do just one space. When I was going through college, it was still two. So you're condescending tone is a bit misplaced. Had any of my various editors actually said word one to me, I might have been clued in. But none of them have, so MLA says it's fine (as per the last paragraph).
Much like irregardless is now fine -- which it isn't.

Many of us old timers remember when there were strict usages, and many of us try and maintain those same standards -- and the double space is one that a lot of us still fight over. Again, if you and your "editors" would do some research, you'd all see that double-spaces are considered signs of sloppiness in our non monospaced world.

So while it may be "acceptable," that doesn't mean it's right. History of the reason for double spaces shows why we should no longer use them, but most people can't be bothered with researching sources nowadays.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2008, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post

So while it may be "acceptable," that doesn't mean it's right. History of the reason for double spaces shows why we should no longer use them, but most people can't be bothered with researching sources nowadays.
Whatever. People can read the style guides and see that your being a pedantic ... something or other... and are actually wrong in being so. So long as I continue to publish, I'll listen to my "editors," not some schmo on a bulletin board who appointed himself grammar and style Nazi. And I'll let my "editors" know that they're sloppy. They'll get a kick out of that.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 27, 2008, 10:11 PM

If we aren't winnowing the chaff from the grain, who will.

Seriously, double spaces are out? This is going to take a loooooooong time for me to stop doing. Even now, I am double tapping the space barr after every period. How annoying!

I can't stand it when people don't capitalize the first letter of a sentence, but obviously use the shift key later in their post. [DAMN DOUBLE SPACE AFTER PERIOD HABIT!!!] Why so lazy? Yes, this means you demonhood.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 01:33 AM

Whatever. People can read the style guides and see that your being a pedantic ... something or other... and are actually wrong in being so. So long as I continue to publish, I'll listen to my "editors," not some schmo on a bulletin board who appointed himself grammar and style Nazi. And I'll let my "editors" know that they're sloppy. They'll get a kick out of that.
As an editor, I'd just like to weigh in: Don't put two spaces. Or tabs. Or forced line breaks. Or any other attempt to second-guess the computer's attempts at automatically formatting your text.

Here's a randomly Googled reference that backs me up.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Photocro
Jan 28, 2008, 01:38 AM

Compared to Navy boot camp and two tours in Vietnam you guys are cup cakes. Gimme a break. You ought to be a moderator on a digital photography forum when all who shoot digital think they're Ansel Adams. Just a thought. Don't hurt my feelings.

Actually, I haven't found you folks to be that tough. I think tough is a matter of thought given to a need expressed in a question on forums. So many repeats of the same need. When I landed here I got straight answers. Some I had to think about, but, the answers were right on once I steadied myself and put two and two together. As in all forums there are many who know less than they verbalize. That's to be expected.

This forum has been a great help in that many of the questions I had were already answered in previous posts. The ones I could not find in a search were readily answered by members.

Thanks for being there. You allowed my coming back to Mac from PC to be smoother than it otherwise would have been. Great group of admins and mods here

I think that the difference of MAC vs Mac should be thrown out though. Who the heck cares. Just respond kindly. Apple vs apple.
( Last edited by Photocro; Jan 28, 2008 at 01:55 AM. )

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 28, 2008, 01:50 AM

From my first posts in 2001, particularly in the various computer-related sub forums of 'nn, I tried my best to provide all details I could regarding any problems I was having. I found it helped others provide me with better/faster answers to my questions.

I also know that Mac doesn't stand for anything, and that it's simply short for "Macintosh". Because I went to high school(hell, middle school even), I knew it wasn't an acronym.

Aside from learning disabilities or somesuch there's no excuse to type like a reject. First impressions and all that.

Burn the newbs.
ice

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 08:17 AM

Yeah, I'll admit that I don't have a career as an editor — just 6 years working at the Ft Worth Star Telegram doing (wait for it...) copy editing.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 08:21 AM

It's amazing how many forum vets from 2002 and before are posting in this thread.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
It's amazing how many forum vets from 2002 and before are posting in this thread.
Your point being?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 10:31 AM

I would also like to ask Boots and his/her "editors" to try a little experiment. Head down to your local library or book store, and grab, say, 50 books off the shelf as randomly as humanly possible. Scan through them and look to see how many consistently use double spaces after punctuation and report back.

Be sure to keep us all informed on how you and your editors are doing regarding usurping McGraw, Harper, Del, etc...

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Your point being?
That you're a jerk, n00b

Railroader
Banned
Jan 28, 2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
As an editor, I'd just like to weigh in: Don't put two spaces. Or tabs. Or forced line breaks. Or any other attempt to second-guess the computer's attempts at automatically formatting your text.

Here's a randomly Googled reference that backs me up.
I hate when people try to force formatting instead of using the correct tools. Often I have to print and display what others have typed and I always ask for "raw text please". What I get is something riddles with tabs, page breaks, line breaks, and multiple spaces. I spend more time eliminating those than I do putting the text into a document.

This double-space thing is killing me.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I hate when people try to force formatting instead of using the correct tools. Often I have to print and display what others have typed and I always ask for "raw text please". What I get is something riddles with tabs, page breaks, line breaks, and multiple spaces. I spend more time eliminating those than I do putting the text into a document.

This double-space thing is killing me.
Try Textsoap? I've used it on the occasional emailed article when doing magazine layout, and found it useful.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 28, 2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Try Textsoap? I've used it on the occasional emailed article when doing magazine layout, and found it useful.
Thank you. To show my appreciation, I will dedicate my next post to you.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 04:06 PM

Thank you. To show my appreciation, I will dedicate my next post to you.
No threads about members

Railroader
Banned
Jan 28, 2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
No threads about members
No thread, just a post.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 04:22 PM

Yes. You are.
we don't have time to stop for gas

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 04:24 PM

No thread, just a post.
Oh well then that's perfectly acceptable

Koralatov
Senior User
Jan 28, 2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Faust View Post
So often the way, isn't it.
Yes, unfortunately so. I may have looked really, really dense, but I did learn something new, so that's a bonus!

I think it's completely irrelevant how someone writes. I am not trying to come off as overly politically correct, though it may sound that way. It's just what I happen to think on the matter and I have read linguistics at Uni for a couple of years, so it's not so much my being indifferent towards the matter. It's just more of a hassle to feel bothered by it, unless someone really jumps the shark with their grammatic wrenches. I've yet to come across a particularly horrid example of that here though. I may have missed it which is likely as I only surf two or three sections of these forums.
I'm probably just highly strung on the whole issue. That said, I have come across the occasional post here that is absolutely dire. It's not the lack of capitals or perfect grammar that irks me, but the total disregard for the English language shown in some posts. I've come across posts which were written with all the panache and literary flair of a badly-composed text message. Unfortunately, I can't find any examples right now, but they do occur (especially in the hardware support forums). As I said, I might be highly strung, but I genuinely cannot be bothered to help if someone can't be bothered to make even a partial attempt at writing something approaching standard English. That probably makes me a self-righteous twit, but that's just how I am.

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
So anyways. Have we come to a decision on whether we can kill/maim newbies yet?
Yes: killing is out, maiming is fine. Being able to regale your grandkids with tales of how you lost an arm trying to get your MacBook working properly carries a certain kudos (even if they don't appreciate it at the time).

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 05:43 PM

No thread, just a post.
Was this it?? Next time, I'll recommend something that freezes and crashes, unless you dedicate a better post than this.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Was this it?? Next time, I'll recommend something that freezes and crashes, unless you dedicate a better post than this.
I am terribly sorry. It is a much better post that that one.

Here you go: http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...q/#post3589746

Forum Links
Forum Rules