Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Try Again-Disc utility

Try Again-Disc utility
Photocro
Nov 14, 2008, 06:57 PM

My optical drive will not open. My disc utility to repair will not open. I have previously asked for help with these issues so I am not going to relist all the problems, just a few.

My OD will not open from the keyboard. I messed it up by putting a second disc on top of the first as I could not see the tray. My stupidity for not checking. I took the OD out and checked it, using a wrist strap. I am not new to the internals and the proper way of working on them for static.

I needed to use the disc utility, I thought, to check the software that opens the disc drive. It will not open with the single key keyboard command now.

Should I use the OS disc to repair or replace the "disc utility" ? Is there something else I should do?
Mac Pro Quad Xeon
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Memory: 9 GB

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 14, 2008, 07:51 PM

It's extremely unlikely that the software is damaged. I'm not even sure what makes you think that has anything to do with it.

When you press and hold the eject key, does the Eject overlay show up and fade as usual?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2008, 07:57 PM

Boot from a FW drive and run a Disk Utility scan. Repair Permissions is the standard voodoo to try.

Alternatively: boot into Single User Mode and run fsck.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_..._mac_os_x.html

-t

Photocro  (op)
Nov 15, 2008, 07:59 PM

Yes, it does.
Mac Pro Quad Xeon

Photocro  (op)
Nov 15, 2008, 08:08 PM

t, Interesting stuff. Thanks. Someone else mentioned fsck. I am new to working the registry of a Mac. I am really not sure what the FW means. Sorry, at 60 I am still a full time film photographer and don't get the chance to do all I would like on my MP. Could you just point out to me how to boot into single user mode. Or, more to the point, when as the machine restarts.

On my PC it was when the cursor started blinking in the upper left hand corner of the monitor. Also, could have have fried my optical drive by putting one disc on top of another? I bought two Panasonic OD's in case. I have them on hand.
Mac Pro Quad Xeon

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2008, 10:53 PM

FW=Firewire

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2008, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Photocro View Post
Could you just point out to me how to boot into single user mode. Or, more to the point, when as the machine restarts.
Sure, use this guide:

http://www.westwind.com/reference/OS...ngle-user.html

-t

Photocro  (op)
Nov 16, 2008, 10:41 PM

thanks Turtle, I can do this. Just needed a starting point.
Mac Pro Quad Xeon

Forum Links
Forum Rules