Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > AppleCare Technician Training

AppleCare Technician Training
selowitch
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 12:38 PM

Has anyone else bought the very slender ACTT training kit for around $300 and found it lacking?
  • None of the listed URLs work anymore;
  • There's no repair CD for Power Mac G4 towers;
  • Surprise! You have to renew your certification each year. I hope that means only another test fee, not $300 again;
  • Apple's website devoted to the topic is highly confusing;
  • I see no place to enter my enrollment number included in the kit.
So far, I'm distinctly unimpressed.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2004, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by selowitch:
[*]Surprise! You have to renew your certification each year. I hope that means only another test fee, not $300 again;
It's just another test fee is all.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
It's just another test fee is all.
Thank God. I'm still annoyed that no mention of the additional test fees is made in any of the promotional literature -- that unpleasant shock awaits you after you open the package. Grrrrr.

I'm still rather disappointed in the package so far.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2004, 12:55 PM

Have you called Apple out on this and what you received? If so, what did they say? If not, give it a try...

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Have you called Apple out on this and what you received? If so, what did they say? If not, give it a try...
Yep, time to call Cupertino, for sure.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2004, 03:53 PM

I actually did purchase that box last year. It expired back in May/2004 and I didn't (plan) to renew it since...

1) It's tough to keep track for all the online reading material
2) I realized that I don't have the time for this (yet)

However, I liked the password protected "Service Source" tho. I have the non MacOS 9 boot PowerMac G4.. so the CD-ROM is useless as well and they don't let you download a copy on that website.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2004, 04:09 PM

Thank God. I'm still annoyed that no mention of the additional test fees is made in any of the promotional literature -- that unpleasant shock awaits you after you open the package. Grrrrr.

No offense, but that's just dumb. Nearly every cert is temperary and requires you to renew it on a regular basis. Otherwise you could be Apple Certified in 1985, move away and be a hermit for 20 years, then come back and start fixing G5s. Doesn't work that way.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2004, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
No offense, but that's just dumb. Nearly every cert is temperary and requires you to renew it on a regular basis. Otherwise you could be Apple Certified in 1985, move away and be a hermit for 20 years, then come back and start fixing G5s. Doesn't work that way.
Most Cisco and Microsoft certficiation's you have to renew.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by fibroptikl:
Most Cisco and Microsoft certficiation's you have to renew.
FileMaker certs are good by version. So whenever FileMaker updates their software, you have to go to a training seminar and catch up on the new features. Then you get your new cert. Good and bad, depending on how often they update.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 08:53 PM

So, um, what was actually included in the kit? Does it include any info that's not publicly available on the web and in books? Is it ordered in such a way as to make the material easier to learn? Does it include any sort of self-tests so you can evaluate how you're doing before you go take the Cert tests?

It seems there's the possibility that even if this info is available elsewhere, it might be worth the $300 to free up the time one would spend trying to find it and deciding what to learn..

A local Apple retailer said he'd consider giving me a tech support or repair job if I got Apple certified, and I'm trying to decide if I should just walk in off the street to take the test (the retailer says I'd fail) or buy the courseware..

So yeah, what do you get for the $300, and does anyone else out there have an opinion as to its usefulness?

thanks,
Y. (he who loves to dig up months-old threads)

Marquee01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
So, um, what was actually included in the kit? Does it include any info that's not publicly available on the web and in books? Is it ordered in such a way as to make the material easier to learn? Does it include any sort of self-tests so you can evaluate how you're doing before you go take the Cert tests?

It seems there's the possibility that even if this info is available elsewhere, it might be worth the $300 to free up the time one would spend trying to find it and deciding what to learn..

A local Apple retailer said he'd consider giving me a tech support or repair job if I got Apple certified, and I'm trying to decide if I should just walk in off the street to take the test (the retailer says I'd fail) or buy the courseware..

So yeah, what do you get for the $300, and does anyone else out there have an opinion as to its usefulness?

thanks,
Y. (he who loves to dig up months-old threads)
I'm in the same boat as you.... Have you found out what you get for $300????? If so let me know.
Marques Bridgeman
"Say hello to my little friend"

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 11:43 PM

There is a code inside the box, just like .Mac... once you entered the code on the apple site, you have a handful of learning material and service manuals available to you. The learning material was all web-based, not sure Apple changed it or not.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Marquee01
I'm in the same boat as you.... Have you found out what you get for $300????? If so let me know.
Um... We have a rule here that you don't dig up threads older than six months.

Totally NOT cool.

Forum Links
Forum Rules