Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dropped MacBook, visible Damage.

Dropped MacBook, visible Damage.
tiger
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2007, 01:44 AM

Hey guys, I dropped my macbook from about 4 feet straight on concrete. There is a visible dent in the plastic? on the bottom right corner, and for some reason a piece of the mate plastic on the screen fell off. Similar to the cracking case except its on the top left corner of the screen. The hand rest plastic was pushed up and there is really no question that it was dropped. The main computer board and the hinge click when moved.

I would like to know a few things about this kind of damage.

Does this void my warranty? I've got 2+ years left. So should I just call and cancel my policy... i.e. get a refund on the 2+ years that are left.

If the laptop goes I'm pretty much out of luck right...? Perhaps eBay is a good option at this moment. At least its working for now.

Thanks, Tiger.

PhotoBug
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2007, 02:13 AM

doesn't sound too hopeful, if it works and you can live with the damage i would say your best bet is to keep it and use it. (maybe Cancel you warranty if your computer is already beat to hell or not) im not sure ho much you will get on ebay if its in Bad Condition.

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2007, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by PhotoBug View Post
doesn't sound too hopeful, if it works and you can live with the damage i would say your best bet is to keep it and use it. (maybe Cancel you warranty if your computer is already beat to hell or not) im not sure ho much you will get on ebay if its in Bad Condition.
Its not beat to hell, it has a small dent on play rest and corner... bottom right, but never the less its visible. There is clicking... I'm guessing its the hinge that kinda went of place when it fell and for some odd reason.. a small part (maybe half an inch long, 1 millimeter wide) fell off the screen. The computer seems to be working fine now.

Does anyone know if I get a refund for canceling my warranty? Should I cancel? Will they fix it if something unrelated to the drop goes wrong... such as motherboard, but I guess you can pretty much tie that in to everything.

robshoy
Jul 6, 2007, 07:06 PM

I'm pretty positive that physical damage done by the user voids the warranty, but I'm not 100% positive.

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by robshoy View Post
I'm pretty positive that physical damage done by the user voids the warranty, but I'm not 100% positive.
This is what I wanted to know... If I cancel my policy, I can get a refund for the time that's left since it will be pretty much useless. Its pretty much a full warranty left so I can get most of my money back. I think these new laptops are much weaker than previous apple laptops, my old iBook fell off around the same height and rolled off with just a scratch. The laptop still works but anything the warranty is useless.

Anyone know if physical damage voids the warranty? or are internal components that fail such as motherboard or circuit still covered?

PhotoBug
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 01:01 AM

well are you going to try and sell it or use it? I'm thinking it voids you warranty. I just looked on the site and it didn't say if it would cover it or not.

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2007, 03:21 AM

It isn't that bad, its a small dent on the corner and for some reason a piece of the top mate plastic in the screen broke off. That's about it other than a few scratches that were picked up during the fall.

I'm planning on using it since its not unusable, I know the damage won't be covered... i.e. replacing the case and all but was wondering if the warranty for other components is still in tack. Its too bad if it isn't and I'd like to get a refund but I don't see anywhere that dropping/denting your computer voids it. All it says is that if there is a dent you should get it repaired before using it since it may damage your computer. I'm also assuming you pay for that fix.

Forum Links
Forum Rules