Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 Soundcard vs iBook

iMac G5 Soundcard vs iBook
nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2004, 03:24 AM

Been playing around with my new iMac G5, and noticed that when plugged into my stereo it has noticably better quality sound than my iBook G4 (using same iTunes list, cables etc). It also outputs at a noticably louder level too. Good stuff!
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Krypton
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by nJm:
Been playing around with my new iMac G5, and noticed that when plugged into my stereo it has noticably better quality sound than my iBook G4 (using same iTunes list, cables etc). It also outputs at a noticably louder level too. Good stuff!
Macs don't have soundcards out of the box, all the audio processing is done by the CPU.

Did you connect the iMac via the speaker/optical out port? If so that would explain the difference.

nJm  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2004, 08:25 PM

Isn't that the only way to connect a stereo? I'm comparing the output of the iBook's headphone/speaker socket with the same on the back of the iMac. It is running through a mini jack->rca cable into a fairly old Rotel amp via one of its AUX inputs.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Finrock
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2004, 12:23 AM

The sound on the new iMac G5 is vastly superior to any iBook or iMac G3/G4. It is the first iMac to offer 24-bit 96khz sound with optical digital out. More information can be found here:

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...H207-TPXREF134

And yes, it sure does sound great!
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules