Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto 5 - importing questions

iPhoto 5 - importing questions
reemas
Senior User
Jan 23, 2005, 11:46 AM

is there any way to "selectively" import certain photos from my digital camera? i know in image capture you can do this.

i ask because i shoot lots of photos and often the name and description for one set of pictures on my camera, isn't the same for the other photos on my camera.

any ideas if selective importing is possible?

thanks.

juusan
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2005, 01:08 AM

no that I know of, but oftentimes your camera will come with software that will read directly from the memory card, allowing you to selectively add photos to your drive. then just drop them into iphoto.
-> 20" iMac Core Duo, 1GB RAM, lame superdrive that burns at 2x
-> MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
-> MacBook 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 01:53 AM

Not in iPhoto. You can use Image Capture to do this though. (it's in your Applications folder)

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 02:59 PM

It's stupid this functionality isn't in iPhoto. Using Image Capture is fine, but it adds a step if you use iPhoto, as you have to double import. Meh.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 03:56 PM

A feature that has been asked for since version one. Keep sending feedback. Maybe someday...

iPhoto 5 is really nice. Much faster on our machines.

Finrock
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2005, 04:02 PM

kcmac, in what aspects does iPhoto5 seem faster? It feels very sluggish to me on my iMac 1.8/2GB. How many photos are in your library?
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 04:09 PM

We have over 2500 photos on our iMac. About 600 on my PB.

Scrolling is much better. Seems the thumbnails are less detailed when moving fast. When you slow down or stop, they turn sharp.

Also like that you can just double click on a photo and it enlarges for viewing or editing and that double clicking again turns it back into a thumbnail. That also equates to faster or speedier to me.

Finrock
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2005, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the reply! I decided to "rebuild" the library by holding down option+Apple when iPhoto is launched. It took a while, but things seem a little bit better now. Still not what I expect on my iMac, though.
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules