Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > exporting clips in imovie - best codec?

exporting clips in imovie - best codec?
egg
Apr 20, 2005, 05:56 AM

Hi,

I want to export some clips from imovie (source was DV), for posting on a website.

I've used QT pro and the DSL High setting, and I'm getting a pretty good output of around 10MB per minute.

Is there a better codec I can use that will keep the quality but reduce the MB size?

thanks!

Finrock
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2005, 08:08 AM

I use the expert setting. I have it export to QuickTime movie and use the MPEG4 codecs. You can play around with how much bandwidth to use and come up with a setting or two that fits your needs.

-Finrock
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2005, 06:17 PM

download 3ivx codecs (google it), read the instructions on how to do a dual-pass encoding job. Dual-pass is awesome.

egg  (op)
Apr 21, 2005, 05:37 AM

thanks guys, i'll try both ways.

Also.. what about XVID? Can that be used with imovie and is it better/worse than others?

memento
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 12:27 PM

I've found 3ivx to be the best. Maybe you can wait for Tiger to see if the H.264 mpeg-4 is better still.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Forum Links
Forum Rules