Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Where to buy?

Where to buy?
PabloTX
Forum Regular
May 15, 2006, 09:05 PM

I've gone through the list of Apple resellers, and while some are offering free RAM upgrades, I can't find what I want (2Gb RAM, 500GB HD) from anyone but Apple. I'd prefer to not pay the sales tax, so are there any other sources that anyone would recommend?

Commodus
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 11:20 PM

Presumably, you're referring to the iMac!

If you're willing to do it yourself, it's cheaper to buy two 1 GB sticks from a 3rd-party like Crucial and install them after the fact.

As for the hard drive, check with resellers like MacMall or MacConnection and see if they'll custom-order for you - but don't be surprised if the answer is that you'll have to do it straight from Apple.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 03:30 AM

Just bite the bullet and pay the sales tax - just be thankful you don't pay 17.5% sales tax (VAT) like us here in England!!!!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

PabloTX  (op)
Forum Regular
May 16, 2006, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the information. I am in fact looking at the iMac. How is the RAM upgrade? I've done it in plenty of PCs and also added some to my PowerBook...is it as straightforward as that, or is access more limited?

badnewsblair
Senior User
May 16, 2006, 09:30 AM

... it is different. I will say that.

But if you have done it several time for a PC you should be alright. Make sure to ground yourself, unplug the iMac, etc. You can pick up some instructions on the Apple support site.

support.apple.com
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

PabloTX  (op)
Forum Regular
May 16, 2006, 09:43 AM

Thanks...that looks easy enough.

Forum Links
Forum Rules