Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Running with an iPod Video..

Running with an iPod Video..
peterauch21
Oct 30, 2006, 01:04 PM

How many of you have ran with your iPods that have had Harddrives? Does it shorten the life span of it? Is there any damage to the HD after long runs? Some damage is just random and bad luck and what not but I just wanted to know what your opinions were of running with the iPods with HDs..

zerroeffect
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2006, 01:16 PM

Hard drives have moving parts. Would you run with a record player? It's not worth the risk IMHO.

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 01:18 PM

Get a flash-based player if you want to run. That's one reason I picked the new shuffle.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2006, 02:55 PM

My roommate tried running with his 20GB 4th gen, and it would only play until the buffer ran out and it wouldn't read the disk for fear of ruining it...get a nano or a shuffle if you want to run.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2006, 03:32 PM

you can for less than about 10 min...then it begins to get all screwy. i wouldnt attempt it, not to mention the drop risk.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 30, 2006, 07:22 PM

i'd get the shuffle or the nano for running. If you get the nano, it might help to get an aluminum case for added protection.

The shuffle is perfect since it just clips on to your shirt....
The nano would be great if you wanted to combine it with that Nike iPod device....

I think the iPod video is better as an all-around multimedia device for pictures, video, and audio.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

Finrock
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2006, 09:56 PM

I've run with the following iPods: 1G, 3G, 4G, 5G. None of them have ever given me problems. I ran a marathon with the 1G, and two half marathons with the 5G.

That being said, I still can't wait for the 2G Shuffles to arrive. I am dying to just clip it on my shirt and go. No more worrying about an armband or having to hold the silly thing.
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
you can for less than about 10 min...then it begins to get all screwy. i wouldnt attempt it, not to mention the drop risk.
I thought it was me!
After 10 minutes of running there was all these skips and knocks and sharp pains. Now I know it was my iPod!

peterauch21  (op)
Oct 31, 2006, 10:31 AM

That is what I assumed. I just wanted to know if and what anyone experianced when running with one before. I'll most likely pick up the 2G shuffle.. that thing looks pretty sweet..

ctsport
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2006, 05:11 PM

flash iPods are best for running
20'' iMac 2.16 C2D: 2GB
red (product) iPod nano
iPod shuffle
up next: macbook C2D

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2006, 09:28 PM

I ran with my 5G once and had no problems. The 5G is rather large to hold in my opinion for running.

My preferred iPod was the older Shuffle = that was the best until I switched to the Nano when the Nike+ came out.

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2006, 12:47 AM

I average 25-40 miles a week on mixed terrain and treadmills. DON'T run with any HD based iPod. The other posters are right. It will play until the buffer runs out at which point it will skip.

The Nano and shuffle are the best choices from Apple to run with. Skip free and very lightweight!

WayzataXC05
Nov 1, 2006, 01:26 AM

I think it greatly depends on how you run. If you're like my middle aged dad who "jogs" at about a 10 minute pace it's probably not a big deal if you wear your ipod. But if you are actually running around 7 minute pace or faster, where you are bouncing up and down alot, it probably isn't such a good idea to use the ipod.
Powerbook G4 1.5 ghz, 1gb ram, 64 VRAM----5G Ipod and a Shuffle

peterauch21  (op)
Nov 1, 2006, 11:25 AM

I'm going to wait a little and see how people like the 2G shuffles.. If the first few batches that come out are good. I'll pick one up. If they turn ugly I'll buy a refurbished shuffle. Thanks for your input!

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 12:26 PM

Wow. I rode my mountain bike regularly on and off road this past summer with my 5g 30gb video and had no problems what so ever. I might pick up a new shuffle after reading this thread.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windowsâ„¢ and Gates?

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 11:16 PM

if you want to use Nike+ you will need to buy a Nano.

peterauch21  (op)
Nov 6, 2006, 01:24 PM

I'm not really sure I'd buy the Nike+ anyway. It seems cool but unless you can track your running and what not offline I dont have any desire to get it.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006, 10:15 PM

I've run with 3G iPod, 1G iPod mini, 5G iPod video and never had a problem. I did always hold it in my hand to reduce up and down shock movement.

peterauch21  (op)
Nov 7, 2006, 10:47 AM

I picked up the 2G shuffle last night. I'm going to run with it tomorrow. We'll see how well the clip holds while I run. =D

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by peterauch21 View Post
I'm not really sure I'd buy the Nike+ anyway. It seems cool but unless you can track your running and what not offline I dont have any desire to get it.
http://www.trailrunnerx.com/english.html

peterauch21  (op)
Nov 7, 2006, 03:47 PM

What is the best set of headphones to run in.. Ones that wont fall out of your ears? I have the shuffle so I dont want to buy some really expensive ones to use. Just some basic ones that wont fall out or that will be a little harder to fall..

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 05:08 PM

I have a pair of Logitech head phones. They have little plastics hooks so that they hang off of my ears. They are designed to be worn with the connecting strap running along the back of your head. They are comfortable, secure enough for running and yard work. I love 'em!

peterauch21  (op)
Nov 7, 2006, 05:41 PM

What is the model number or name of them?

SurfSkateJeep
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2006, 11:50 PM

I run with my 30 gig video and it has never skipped, ive gone on hour runs for miles too, It still works perfectly, I run 3 times a week for an hour each time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules