Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 57)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2012, 07:05 AM

There's a portable version of the tablet that works from your hot bar. I should probably build one instead of placing then breaking blocks. The mercurial eye doesn't place stairs right.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 6, 2012, 07:09 AM

That's the only version I've used.

Table = Stationary
Tablet = Portable

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2012, 08:44 AM

/me wipes off face
Were did this egg come from?

Nope both versions are tablet.
http://equivalentexchange.wikispaces.com/Transmutation+Tablet

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Wait, so were you trying to host your own server or you were having trouble joining others? Sucks about losing your world.
I was trying to switch to a newer version of Tekkit to join a server, which included downloading some new .jar files. Stupidly I jumped right into my single player game without switching back, which resulted in all "tekkit" items, like machines, wires, etc disappearing.

I have since looked up some cool seeds and started a new world. I gifted myself a set of tools, an Energy Condensor, and a Solar Array.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 6, 2012, 12:06 PM

The irony being if you had found a server you'd be starting from scratch.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 6, 2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
/me wipes off face
Were did this egg come from?

Nope both versions are tablet.
http://equivalentexchange.wikispaces.com/Transmutation+Tablet
In that case my idea is better.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2012, 05:09 PM

The irony being if you had found a server you'd be starting from scratch.
I was prepared for that, but losing my playground in Singleplayer was a low-blow.

I broke down and decided to go balls to the wall. Gave myself infinite Brick, infinite Stone Slabs, infinite Torches, infinite glass panes, a whole set of machines, 4 MV Arrays with storage, and a bunch of Diamond Chests. Built myself a big brick factory complete with smokestack. Gonna play around with more stuff this time around, like geothermal generators and other stuff...factory should provide me ample space.

Still have barely anything. So all my armor, tools, etc from this point on will be legit, if anything I have less stuff in terms of EMC now then I did before everything got erased.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 6, 2012, 06:46 PM

sek… there's a back-up folder. Just noticed it said it was backing up when I'm updating. Might want to look into that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 7, 2012, 05:44 AM

So the latest update removed Crafting Table III. Aside from having to wiki recipes more, I lost all the resources that was in my CT3.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2012, 07:03 AM

So the latest update removed Crafting Table III. Aside from having to wiki recipes more, I lost all the resources that was in my CT3.
Looks like its disabled because its buggy not removed. It may come back.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 7, 2012, 03:56 PM

I saw that, I just figured it was a tolerable bug (not using resources, sometimes). I'd think the opposite was true too.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2012, 05:59 PM

From what I gather it was worse on servers. Crashing is bad.

I replaced my chest and timer with this. First I changed the timer circuit so it wouldn't go off so frequently but still empty the chest. But this "Buffer" does it so much better.
http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/Immibis_Core_%26_TubeStuff

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2012, 05:07 PM

Exterior of factory, smokestack has Solar Arrays hidden inside.

I picked the seed because the spawn was right near village. Good for quick food and shelter the first few nights.

Machine / Crafting / Storage area

Bed / Portal / Energy Collector (only Mk1 right now)

Utility basement with teleport sorting pipes.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2012, 06:03 PM

Thats so much prettier than what I have.

Also the power went out sometime and I had to start things back up a 8is when I got home.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 9, 2012, 05:36 AM

That's fantastic, sek. I think it beats out my place (Guess that's what I get for waiting). It feels a touch too large, but seriously, minor nitpick.

---

It seems block breakers are, uh, broken in the latest Tekkit. No big loss as I wasn't using the cobblestone generator, but when I reactivated last night to work in conjunction with a Quarry it didn't do crap.

Blaze, I have a redstone question for you: Is it possible to create a method of cutting a redstone current for a few seconds over a certain interval of time?

Ex: The energy links drain a lot of power, constantly, even if what they're powering isn't actually doing anything. Coupled with a quarry, I had two energy links just ripping current from my MFS, draining 5,000,000 current in a short amount of time. I've mitigated the loss by adding a toggle latch connected to a redstone timed, which alternates which energy link is active every minute or so (halving power consumption - the quarry will continue running using stored power in the energy link for that minute), but the energy link powering the pipes doesn't really need to be on for a full minute. If I could shut that down for an additional extended period, I'd save even more energy.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2012, 07:58 AM

Okay not so simple. You need two timers and a rs latch.

What we want is a long timer and a short timer.
We want the long timer to start the short timer and the short timer to stop after 1 cycle.

Hook the long timer directly to one side of the latch.
For the short timer you want the input and the output of the timer hooked to the other side of the latch.

The latch will send power into the short timer preventing it from running. Once the long timer resets the latch the short timer will start. When the short timer sets the latch it will disable itself. Just make sure the long timer is longer than the short timer. If you wait i'll build one tonight and post photos but it should be only the 3 chips and 4 redstone.

http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/Timer
http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/RS_Latch

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2012, 09:58 AM

Wow...so I return to the thread and you guys have all gone mod-crazy?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 9, 2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Wow...so I return to the thread and you guys have all gone mod-crazy?
It's a mod set. Quaintly packaged in a separate launcher.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 9, 2012, 10:37 AM

Okay not so simple. You need two timers and a rs latch.
What we want is a long timer and a short timer.
We want the long timer to start the short timer and the short timer to stop after 1 cycle.
Hook the long timer directly to one side of the latch.
For the short timer you want the input and the output of the timer hooked to the other side of the latch.
The latch will send power into the short timer preventing it from running. Once the long timer resets the latch the short timer will start. When the short timer sets the latch it will disable itself. Just make sure the long timer is longer than the short timer. If you wait i'll build one tonight and post photos but it should be only the 3 chips and 4 redstone.
http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/Timer
http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/RS_Latch
*eyes glaze over*

Your call if you want to try. Just ran into the sequencer, looks like that might be useful as well.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2012, 10:46 AM

It's a mod set. Quaintly packaged in a separate launcher.
Yeah, I googled the smithereens out of it yesterday. Looks nice, but I've never been the most technically-minded Minecrafter.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 9, 2012, 10:47 AM

Smithereens. I picture your keyboard half-melted and smoking from the typing. Just watch the videos I posted.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2012, 10:52 AM

That's fantastic, sek. I think it beats out my place (Guess that's what I get for waiting). It feels a touch too large, but seriously, minor nitpick.
Coming from the resident design guru, feels good man. It is far larger than it needs to be, but I wanted the exterior scale to look proper with the big smokestack.

Up until now I was running the entire workshop off of 4 non-legit HV arrays, just to get back to where I was before, which was just the boots away from the full Quantum Armor set. I legitimately sourced the scrap for the Mass Fabricator, and all other building blocks, and finally made my full Quantum Armor set. Then I decided to scrap the HV Arrays and bankrupt myself of EMC and see how far I could get towards building my own legitimate HV Array. I made 4 stacks of Solar Panels before running out of just about everything, which translates to 4 MV Arrays, not enough to run a Mass Fabricator, but I don't need that now anyways.

I'm having an issue with the destruction catalyst. It's fully charged and I cannot get it to dis-charge. I looked at the controls and the command labeled discharge item just uses the catalyst like normal when I press it. In fact, I was forced into a frantic force-quite when I accidentally wiped out my whole crafting area.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Coming from the resident design guru, feels good man.  It is far larger than it needs to be, but I wanted the exterior scale to look proper with the big smokestack.
The building and smoke stack still aren't quite to scale IMHO. That may be the angle or the lack of taper.

I'm having an issue with the destruction catalyst.  It's fully charged and I cannot get it to dis-charge.  I looked at the controls and the command labeled discharge item just uses the catalyst like normal when I press it. In fact, I was forced into a frantic force-quite when I accidentally wiped out my whole crafting area.
There's something about going to the nether and back for one of the EE tools. That may work. For me its shift-v to discharge I don't use the discharge key.

Just ran into the sequencer, looks like that might be useful as well.
That will do it if you want it on for 1/4 of the period. You could do 1/8 with two and an AND gate.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2012, 05:09 PM

So here it is. Pretty simple. As a comparison I've include the circuit from my grinder, Andi has seen it, that does basically the same thing. Theres a few extras that I could replicate be adding another timer and an OR gate.

4912/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
4913/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
4914/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2012, 10:21 PM

So I decided to mess around with RedPower, first step was getting the Bluelectric Alloy furnaces set up.

Power from 16 RedPower Solar Panels feeds into a battery box, which powers both furnaces.

My all new cobble generator. 13 Block Breakers sending cobble to be made into diamond.

Continuous flow, timer set to .7 sec

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 10, 2012, 12:35 PM

Coming from the resident design guru, feels good man.  It is far larger than it needs to be, but I wanted the exterior scale to look proper with the big smokestack.
I wonder if you wouldn't be better off with multiple smaller stacks. Also, is there a reason for all the redstone torches at the top? To make it look like its glowing?

My all new cobble generator.  13 Block Breakers sending cobble to be made into diamond.

Continuous flow, timer set to .7 sec
Man, my cobblestone generator was terrible at just making Mobius Fuel at a decent rate, Diamonds will take forever (4x longer). Save that thing for the Mass Fabricator.

---

I have a new project underway that I'm quite excited about. It involves redpower2 heavily.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2012, 01:15 PM

Just playing today it made me about 6 diamonds, not bad for something just sitting there. Also, I already have my Quantum Armor, so I really don't need the Mass Fabricator anymore, unless I want to start looking into using UU Matter in an automatic crafting bench.

The redstone torches are so low-flying planes don't smash into the stack. Heh.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2012, 06:47 AM

To continue my campaign of faffing about, I decided to pump and refine some oil. Made use of the world anchors too.

Nice that it can be powered quite well by three redstone engines. Not nice that it started pumping water about 5 minutes in. I had to make a gravel pillar and then hollow it out all the way to the bottom of the water here, where the oil shaft continued.

Even with two refineries the oil backed up almost immediately, I can't wait to not use all that refined fuel!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 11, 2012, 09:48 AM

Well, it's about time I post some pics.

Gentlemen, welcome to my underground lair.

Opposite view. Portal built into my stairway back, and machines on the walls. Lava flowing lights the area. In the back you can see my library.

Close up of the machines. The two levers serve these functions: Top - Prime machines, keeping them spun/heated up; Bottom - Turn on pipe system.

Aforementioned lever and piping system, from the back.

Sub-basement where all the electronic reside. In the corner is the scaffold which I climb to get behind the walls and machinery where the previous pic was taken.

More sub-basement. Believe it or not, I'll be making this even neater in the future, adding more reserve power by adding a second MFS unit.

Quarry for my big project. Absolutely infested in the early going.

The control center for the quarry.

Mk III Energy Collector awesomeness.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 16, 2012, 11:41 AM

Twice I've posted pics, and twice I've been ignored.

I hate you all.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2012, 11:51 AM

I haven't gotten around to posting a rebutle to your energy collector. I've been working 12hr days. I've done maybe an hour of minecraft this week. I'll try and get something decent this evening. I've been pondering switching to repower pipes instead of buildcraft in the processing center, they're more expensive but my energy link pulls 150/t to power 2 wooden pipes. Not good. Its probably gonna require more blue power wiring than I have now and a re-layout. I am producing steal slowly.

Edit:
Here's my collectors, Its not optimal, when I move it around i'll add the 10 that are missing to make it optimum. Right now they produce a little less than 1 glowstone per sec. This goes into another condenser to make redmatter as a suitable storage medium. Notice the fully charge klein in my inventory.
5036/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 17, 2012, 10:59 AM

Hmmm... I should post how my collectors are set up.

---

So I took a break from my big project this weekend (before I got burned out) to go work on that stronghold that was buried in oil. I decided to afford myself the luxury of using NEI to create the oil rig to pump the oil out, as I would not be actually using the oil in any fashion. As a trade-off, any blocks or ores, etc. that I got as a result of the project would all be deleted as a sort of balancing cost (As well as any EMC used for torches and blocks).

The project is 99% done (thinking about creating rail to connect the area to the village), so I'll be posting pics soon, hopefully.

---

As for the village, I've decided to adopt it. I've repaved their roads, did some terraforming, and am in the process of adding surrounding wall.

---

Spent last night upgrading my Lair for a more fully automated future. Triple Macerators and Ovens, assorted chests, and secondary machines for quick work while fabricating. I'm adding to my power infrastructure and will be creating the mass fabricator soon.

This weekend I look to get back to my big project and hopefully get much close to finishing it. In the meantime, I've had to remove my library and am going to have to relocate the Quarry sorting area.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2012, 11:40 AM

I've found a village and put a wall on it. They don't want to breed and it's nothing to look at. The Ender Dragon is dead too. I got bored of trying to fly him down and broke the crystals and killed him with a bow. Is anyone interested in pictures of my quarry? Or is a 50x40x130m hole in the center of a mountain good enough? I've been playing with rearranging my setup again. The Energy link is only pulling ~30 for the quarrys. It's the wooden pipe that draws infinite amounts of power. I'm gonna try the red power sorting machine this time. Good thing I found some flax before.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 17, 2012, 11:48 AM

I haven't been real active with stuff the last week or so, was on a road trip visiting friends with the wife. With the great "Tekkit Evolution" has anyone still playing on Blaze's server?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
I haven't been real active with stuff the last week or so, was on a road trip visiting friends with the wife. With the great "Tekkit Evolution" has anyone still playing on Blaze's server?
Actually there were 3 people on yesterday.

OMG

http://imgur.com/a/L2E8g

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2012, 06:54 PM

Picture dump

New storage room in progress
5069/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
The machines that make it possible
5070/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
Here's the IC processing machines and a alloy furnace.
The sorters send stuff down here then it round trips back up through the sorter.
Note the retriever underneath. It also extracts from the EE condensers.
5076/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
My power generation, same geothermal / ee loop as before. I need allot more blueletricity though.
5078/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
The EE side of the "power" generation.
5077/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
5073/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
Ignore the transposer in this shot, i replaced it with a pipe
5074/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2012, 11:38 AM

So mining in the nether with a Destruction Catalyst leads to enormous gains. One Diamond Ore gives two diamonds, One Iron Ore give 4 Iron Dust, etc... Within just a few minutes I had netted nearly 700,000 EMC worth of resources. I set up a nether base, with some basic machines powered by a Geothermal Generator, which is fed via teleport pipes by a Pump in the huge pool of lava below. Certainly works weel, but just one Geo Generator doesn't provide a ton of power, enough for my purposes though.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2012, 12:54 PM

Ok I figured out the powerlink trick, the batbox only outputs 32/s so if you connect the powerlink(s) through one it limits the power draw. I don't have as many wooden pipes anymore and were I do have one its easier to to use a pump then a lv transformer, batbox and a powerlink.

Oh also, pipe above access the top of the brewing stand and the sides access the bottle slots.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 19, 2012, 02:56 PM

So, on the server today for a bit, learned that 1.3's new mob spawning rules make skyrail REAL DANGEROUS at night. Creepers and such spawning on the rail in front of the car, as it's traveling.

Not. Cool.

May have to light skyrail.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
So, on the server today for a bit, learned that 1.3's new mob spawning rules make skyrail REAL DANGEROUS at night. Creepers and such spawning on the rail in front of the car, as it's traveling.
Not. Cool.
May have to light skyrail.
They weren't doing that in 1.2.5? They were spawning up there on the 11th. I had to hang out in the top of you're tower because it was still dark and I destroyed my patch to you're tower under me.
BTW Server is 1.3.2.

Also found a really easy way to keep the generators from cycling on an off all the time. Thats a splitter cable which cuts the power to the BatBox when the TFlipFlop powers it. Here's the trick. The Storage units have a setting "Emit when partially full" Which means the give out current unless completely full OR EMPTY. Add a not gate and the TFlipFlpp cycles when the BatBox fills and empties. Now I need to add two of these and an and gate to the main power storage array.
5091/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 20, 2012, 04:59 AM

They weren't doing that in 1.2.5? They were spawning up there on the 11th. I had to hang out in the top of you're tower because it was still dark and I destroyed my patch to you're tower under me.
With 1.2.5, they would spawn nearby if I was standing around before going (or climbing the tower). Now, they are spawning in front of the moving mine cart, and in much larger numbers than before. One dusk run had me encounter 4 creepers, 3 spiders, a skeleton, and 2 zombies. Before, if I saw a few skeletons it was impressive.

BTW Server is 1.3.2.
good to know

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 20, 2012, 06:15 AM

I'm not sure why they are allowed to spawn on rail in the first place. So what are the new spawning dynamics? They allow them to spawn closer than before?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 20, 2012, 06:26 AM

I finally made some significant headway in my big project this weekend. One of the problems is I keep expanding it, but superficially I expect it to be ready to show off after next weekend.

I finished most of the work on the wall for the village I adopted, so I should be posting that this week. On a related note, the sound of zombies banging on doors is nerve racking every time I hear it.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2012, 07:31 AM

They can spawn on partial blocks like rail and pressure plates (not half slabs) but only if there are completely empty blocks within 20m. This has always been true. There are/were some bugs in the spawning above 128 people found when building mob spawners. When you're up that high the ground is to far away for them to spawn on so the rail is the only place they can spawn so you'll get lots of them.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 20, 2012, 08:41 AM

I know the rules for 'slabs' changed with 1.3 regarding mobs spawning, but will 'normal' slabs still not allow spawning? If so, I may have to do the 'floating slabs over the rail' trick... assuming THAT still works.

Failing that, so much for a hidden rail line and I light it up like something out of Tron. Hey, if you can't do it ONE way, go excessive the OTHER way

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2012, 09:01 AM

Well if you don't have your range set to Far you can't see it from the ground anyway. Or just don't ride the rail at night.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2012, 07:02 AM

So this is what I did to stop the geothermal generators from cycling all the time.
I have two MFEs as a power buffer. If you look normally power for the machines (~18eu) is only being pulled from one of them. The other doesn't get touched unless something draws more than 128eu/t. So for the primary MFE is used the not-latch-splitter combo to make it deep cycle before triggering the generators. In addition to pocking up excess demand the second MFE also provides power in the time it takes the circuity to flip and provide power to the primary MFE. So when I put the quantum helmet or bat pack in the charging bench the MFS there draws the full 256eu/t and triggers the generators. The processing machines though take almost an hour to drain the MFE when idle. The reason I went through all this? 2-4fps when because the generators aren't flicking on and off. When they do they change texture and sounds.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 21, 2012, 08:12 AM

Ok I figured out the powerlink trick, the batbox only outputs 32/s so if you connect the powerlink(s) through one it limits the power draw. I don't have as many wooden pipes anymore and were I do have one its easier to to use a pump then a lv transformer, batbox and a powerlink.
Oh also, pipe above access the top of the brewing stand and the sides access the bottle slots.
I was doing that too, but I find the energy link still has enough reserve to power a Quarry for a minute. Hence, I shut down the draw every minute, for a minute, halving the already minimized draw.

So mining in the nether with a Destruction Catalyst leads to enormous gains.  One Diamond Ore gives two diamonds, One Iron Ore give 4 Iron Dust, etc...  Within just a few minutes I had netted nearly 700,000 EMC worth of resources.  I set up a nether base, with some basic machines powered by a Geothermal Generator, which is fed via teleport pipes by a Pump in the huge pool of lava below.  Certainly works weel, but just one Geo Generator doesn't provide a ton of power, enough for my purposes though.
I didn't like nether mining for a few reasons. You can't macerate the ores, the ores randomly explode, and even using the DC, it aggros the pigmen (Edit: I'm supposed to be able to macerate them but it didn't work when I tried a long time ago). Booo.

I love the destruction catalyst just for when I get tired of mining and want to go home, I just burn a tunnel in the direction I want to go until I recognize my surroundings.

----

Didn't get to do much last night as I spent most of the time rebuilding part of the project to look nicer, then messing with redstone until I figured out I needed a Buffer Gate.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2012, 10:04 AM

Macerating Nether Copper gives regular copper ore (x2) which can then be Macerated into Copper Dust (x2) for 4x the yield. Nether Iron Macerates straight into Iron Dust (x4). Nether Gold does the same IIRC. Nether Redstone Macerates into 6 dust, and tin and silver I can't recall at the moment.

A good way to keep the ore from exploding is by using the Mining Laser. The ore vein you are mining will start to hiss before it explodes, so if you use the Laser you can usually mine it out very quickly before it blows up. The Catalyst may trigger explosions in ore veins that it slices through, but the loses are minimal. The last time I went mining in the nether I netted about 90 Diamond in just 15 minutes. Not bad at all.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2012, 04:08 PM

From right to left:
Chest with cobble
Retriever w/ a stack of 3 cobble
Pulse Former
Empty Chest
Auto crafting bench w/ recipe for half slabs
Chest w/ 6 half slabs
Regulator (upside down) w/ 6 half slabs in it's output.

So if there aren't at least 6 half slabs in the left most chest then it makes more. Both the minimum and the batch size can be changed. Now I need to make a more complex signaling system to trigger multiple Retrievers to satisfy complex recipes. I also plan on having it empty out the middle chest so I can just have one Retriever per ingredient instead of up to 8. If I make the left most chest accessible to the Retrievers then I can can do multi step recipes. The only thing that sucks is the Regulator must be next to the left chest.

Forum Links
Forum Rules