Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 9)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2011, 04:24 PM

Andi if you look out your front door theres a glass box slightly to the left of center. Thats what he's talking about.
The ability to see peoples name through blocks makes connecting tunnels easier.

andi*pandi
Apr 21, 2011, 04:26 PM

Yep, I've explored that, and it's what I hope to connect to. Should be a straight shot from my mine, just a matter of judging the depth. Maybe I'll actually start from that tunnel and head toward me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 21, 2011, 04:35 PM

Here's what I'd do. Traveling from the surface to my place, once you get to the door, turn right and start tunneling to your place.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Here's what I'd do. Traveling from the surface to my place, once you get to the door, turn right and start tunneling to your place.
That should be deep enough to avoid the water and sand.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 21, 2011, 08:23 PM

Andi, I dug a path to your place but it ended up practically missing you mine. I left a block of earth in you mine wall to identify where its at. I'll modify/dig a new on once you figure out how you'd like to connect you place best.

andi*pandi
Apr 21, 2011, 10:33 PM

Cool. I found a huge maze of tunnels that you and bogues maybe started? Full of zombies anyhow. Blocked that sucker.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2011, 12:46 PM

Probably part of the maze of tunnels under all of us.

Played around with the powered rails more, converted my subterranean safehouse to glass, and expanded the lava flow you see on approach by minecart. Cleared out some space for lava to flow and found a stack (7!) of Diamond.

Made a Diamond sword, and promptly fell nearly the entire distance of my pit, leaving myself with one-half heart, then a spider chased me all the way up the stairs.

I watched a video about making switched 'intersections' using the new rails, really cool stuff. Basically consists of switched powered rail sections that brake you, and then you hit a switch to flip the rail and power you on your way. Definitely something I'm going to experiment with.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Cool. I found a huge maze of tunnels that you and bogues maybe started? Full of zombies anyhow. Blocked that sucker.
west of Bogues under the water is were my grid mine is, but I don't think you made it that far.

I think we need to standardize our jargon, my suggestion:
natural tunnel = cave or cavern
man made = tunnel
cobble/mossy stone with spawner = dungeon.

andi*pandi
Apr 22, 2011, 01:14 PM

There were lights, signs of excavation, and a sign pointing to bogues', but it seemed huge and randomly dug. Cavern maybe? I did not explore far, but I may expand the tunnel from my place to it. There is a door on my side now.

Bogues, you may notice your house got some unexpected remodelling. The Yelp rating of Creeper Interior Design Inc, needs updating, as they didn't do a very good job. I tried to fix it best I could.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2011, 01:33 PM

That's the Dakar/Bogues side of the cave system, it winds and links to the bottom of my pit, which i think is a bit big to call a 'tunnel' honestly.

It's a man-made cavern.

andi*pandi
Apr 22, 2011, 03:13 PM

If that was dug by hand that is a lot of digging. I still have a ways to go in my mine before it hits bottom.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2011, 03:17 PM

The bottom area of my mine was dug entirely by hand.

For comparison. My stats show that now I have removed about 2000 blocks since the update. My best guess for that cavern is around 20,000 blocks in total.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2011, 08:04 PM

be glad you never played an mmo because some company could have made a lot of money of that kind of obsession.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2011, 07:55 PM

sek's mine left me dumbfounded for a few moments.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 23, 2011, 08:06 PM

It's really a shame we didn't have stat tracking before the update, because then we could hear some really crazy numbers.

Thanks to that marathon session yesterday I already have 7,000 stone mined, and I estimate sek had to be at 5x+ that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2011, 10:27 AM

Ugh, put some serious time in this weekend. Renovated my stairs, chiseled out the bottom three sub basements, expanded the basement, created the Creeper statue, terraformed that area, expanded the tunnels connecting everyone including helping connect Jawbone, created a new processing facility in the basement, gave the original wood house a facelift to stone slabs, went dungeon crawling three times, began construction on a bedroom, and began design on a multifloor cart system.

When I put it that way doesn't sound too awful bad.

Sadly, I did some quick math on my rail design and realize I need 40 more Gold than I currently have to implement a powered system all the way to bedrock. That is a lot.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2011, 10:28 AM

Mined until 5:30 AM Sunday morning, and got quite a bit done, though mostly underground. A few shots from the weekend:

Herrrrrrrrre's Johnny!

Andi and Bogues' places at night:

Found Dakar hard at work. When he's updating his place, he becomes like the Borg when they don't recognize you as a threat: doesn't even see you.

Uh oh...

Wait a minute, something's weird...

And...

This is what the inside of a creeper's brain looks like...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2011, 10:33 AM

Speaking of the Borg, it looks you became one with the creeper.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2011, 10:40 AM

I was convinced that the moment that I got that close, he'd explode. He actually didn't move from that spot until I logged off.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2011, 10:54 AM

I was busy too.

Busy setting my house on fire, and burning everything made of wood/wool on floor 2 and 3. Before that I was in my cavern safehouse, creeper was at the door and instead of hitting him with my sword I opened the door. He took the chance and destroyed ~50 blocks of glass.

I put a stone slab retaining wall (to retain monsters) at the end of my rail in the cavern and it appears to have worked for the moment. Other actually productive things are a lava pit for trash outside on my new land, and I am starting to bring grass down to the top of my pit, which will become a dakar-esque indoor tree farm/animal area. Need to recoup my wool losses.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2011, 10:59 AM

Yes, my bedroom was half furnished when a stray lava ember set it a light (as I walked in form outside). I guess those embers will travel through dirt but not glass, because everything seems fine now. I probably lost 30+ wool in the fire.

andi*pandi
Apr 25, 2011, 11:18 AM

I will have to go see all these improvements. I've been working on enclosing a courtyard into the hill behind me.

I now have some obsidian. I cleared out that old dungeon you guys found.

Think I'll hoard it for a while, as the nether sounds scary.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Apr 25, 2011 at 11:27 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2011, 11:22 AM

That reminds me, do mobs/animal walk through nether portals? Might make a nice doorway somewhere.

andi*pandi
Apr 25, 2011, 11:28 AM

I think I remember reading that they do, which is why you have to block the portal.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2011, 11:29 AM

Bah. Ah well, not sure where it would have fit stylistically.

andi*pandi
Apr 25, 2011, 11:41 AM

"# If a mob from the real world enters a portal, they will float in the portal as if it was water.
# Portals can be constructed in SMP but they will not teleport players to the Nether when entered without modding support.
# Mobs cannot use portals to teleport to the Nether, however they can walk through them. "

I guess it's moot in multiplayer anyhow. Too bad, I'd pictured it up on a hill surrounded by torches.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2011, 11:43 AM

I knew it didn't work in SMP, but they make good decoration.

It's too bad they can't restrain mobs. They'd be ideal to run rail through then (assuming the crashes related to taking carts through is only when you sit in one during transition).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2011, 12:36 PM

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2011, 01:25 PM

Sadly, I did some quick math on my rail design and realize I need 40 more Gold than I currently have to implement a powered system all the way to bedrock. That is a lot.
Are you completely against the old boosters? Are you fixated on a stop at every level? The auto reset booster for going up hill is simply another set of parallel tracks.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2011, 01:29 PM

Yes, old boosters can suck it. My design is ugly enough as it is.

I don't know why you think I'm fixated on a stop every level.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2011, 03:00 PM

Found this about 1,000 yards behind my house on the coast. Is this natural?

The place is coming along, with the crucial design atop the base nearly ready to be constructed.

From my current roof at night:

andi*pandi
Apr 25, 2011, 04:08 PM

Hmm. I think I need more lights.

Looks good Jawbone! How high up are you going?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2011, 04:24 PM

Hmm. I think I need more lights.
You've got plenty of light from the front. Maybe just on the sides. Remember, I'm pretty far away from the rest of the community.

Looks good Jawbone! How high up are you going?
I don't want to ruin it.

It's not going to be about the height, though. I actually remembered when Dakar mentioned that he could've used some graphing paper when planning something out the other day, which sparked this next idea. I'm swinging by Target on the way home for some graphing paper so that I don't screw this one up.

The next level is going to be the distinctive bit. After that, I'm going to top it with two towers that attach every dozen blocks or so.

Also, for fun (or the exact opposite): YouTube: Minecraft Annoyance Machine

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2011, 04:44 PM

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2011, 06:16 PM

As of 1.4 doors only make noise when they're triggered manually.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
As of 1.4 doors only make noise when they're triggered manually.
I wonder if that was in response to that video...

...though I'm not sure why it would be.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2011, 07:16 PM

You could probably lag out a SMP server that way. Without the sound effect there's no incentive to try.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2011, 07:55 PM

Just so you guys don't forget whose house you're looking at...

andi*pandi
Apr 25, 2011, 07:57 PM

ha!

That needs more s!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2011, 08:02 PM

Just realized I hated the torches being seen through the glass, so I moved them to the "opposite" wall in between the lettering. Now nothing but reflective stone wall goodness.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2011, 08:15 PM

hahaha, that's freaking awesome!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2011, 09:05 PM

Definitely looks better using reflection rather than torch shine-throughts.

On the right, Andi has classy neighbors...

And on the left, the neighbor with the flagpole, stripped-down car, and old mattresses in the front yard...

Oh, by the way, Bogues...in my effort to dig a bedrock-level tunnel all the way to sek's massive underground lair, I accidentally burrowed just under your lava/obsidian mining area. I don't think I got anything nearby on the way except for coal. I stopped and turned around when I realized. I covered the hole upwards with cobblestone. Apologies.

andi*pandi
Apr 25, 2011, 10:11 PM

<blub> I'm trapped on Blaze's water elevator and am getting kicked out for "flying". This is a message that I should do something else tonight!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2011, 09:12 AM

<blub> I'm trapped on Blaze's water elevator and am getting kicked out for "flying". This is a message that I should do something else tonight!
I've heard of that message being given for standing on fences, but water?

Speaking of glitches, I almost tore my hair out last night because I tried doing the redstone dust under a powered rail trick and it refused to work. Can anyone confirm?

---

More glitches: Had a zombie in my tree farm last night. He jumped down from the top of a tree to get me. Mob spawning ****ed – confirmed.

I also added a fence under a tree which killed the grass after one night. How annoying. This might be modified behavior as well.

Thirdly I tried sleeping and was greeted with that mob glitch.

---

I logged on last night and had the misfortune of having sek show me the multitude of changes he made during the day, making whatever progress I made this weekend feel like wasted time. (The door notes are a nice touch however)

Between that and the glitches that is one rough day.

---

New rule: Everyday Bogues doesn't log on (after 5 days) we place one barrel of TNT in his house.

---

sek, assuming the redstone thing gets figured out, I have a railway design modification in my head that I think you'll be most pleased with.

andi*pandi
Apr 26, 2011, 09:22 AM

I was having that sleeping glitch, until I moved my bed to the middle of a room 2 squares out from the wall. It's not pretty, but no intruders.

Bogues has been on, as he fixed his front door area that <cough> exploded.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2011, 09:23 AM

I was having that sleeping glitch, until I moved my bed to the middle of a room 2 squares out from the wall. It's not pretty, but no intruders.
That's a work around. It's still a glitch. It still needs to be patched. And I didn't have this issue pre-1.5.

Bogues has been on, as he fixed his front door area that <cough> exploded.
Party Pooper.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2011, 10:03 AM

The trick is to steer the boat to the wall in the direction of the opening, then it catches on the edge at the top and you can get out. At least until the glitch is fixed and you can jump out of them cleanly.

redstone dust under a powered rail trick and it refused to work. Can anyone confirm
You'll probably have to use the redstone to control a torch, and the torch is under the block.

R
B
T
BDDD

R = track
B = block
T = redstone torch
D = redstone dust

The dust under a block is for receiving power not transmitting. To transmit the redstone has to lead directly to a block.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2011, 10:07 AM

One problem. My previously constructed dust paths (not using torches) using my method still work. I just can't make new ones replicating the same exact set-up. Something is up.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2011, 11:25 AM

You sure you're not powering the block next to the track instead of under? I'll test tonight.

andi*pandi
Apr 26, 2011, 11:44 AM

Blaze, I think my system is too slow for water elevators. By the time I see I'm at the top I've fallen down. Even tried swimming with no boat. And now I'm stuck midway up and can't move in any direction. When you log on tonight, can you beam me somewhere else? Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules