Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New Lion preview available

New Lion preview available (Page 4)
moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
So aside from some ignorant comments suggesting I'm ignorant, no solid information as to whether the new 13 inch is supported.

Why would it not be?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2011, 08:47 AM

Because the question was about whether it makes sense to pirate the developer preview for his new machine.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2011, 09:29 AM

Exactly.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2011, 10:16 PM

If he did that he would definitely go to hell.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 03:37 PM

Depending upon when you asked, he already is.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 03:44 PM

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2011, 04:38 PM

I believe the second preview does support the latest MBPs.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 04:43 PM

Who cares whether or not he wants to pirate the build for his machine?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 04:46 PM

Baby Jesus does.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 04:52 PM

Salty: if you had to pray only to baby Jesus or regular Jesus, which would you pick?

P
Apr 10, 2011, 05:12 PM

I'm honestly not sure about the references in here, but that might be a good thing. Keep it on topic, guys.

There is a legal way to get the Lion beta right here. If I were about to pay $99 for it, I'd be interested in whether it ran on my new Mac.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Millen
Banned
Apr 11, 2011, 12:14 AM

Can't wait for the resume and versions features!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I'm honestly not sure about the references in here, but that might be a good thing. Keep it on topic, guys.

There is a legal way to get the Lion beta right here. If I were about to pay $99 for it, I'd be interested in whether it ran on my new Mac.
If you are a paid member of the developer program, you are able to access the developer forum, where you would be able to ask this question to people who can actually legally answer it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2011, 04:06 PM

I don't understand the need for playing Apple police in making sure that nobody pirates Lion beta, and on a different note I'd also like to add that I think it is lame asking developers to shell out for XCode 4, which includes GCC and other tools that non-developers might want, as well as the iPhone/iPad simulator which non-Apple developers might want to use to test their sites with these devices.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2011, 04:22 PM

Nobody is "playing Apple police".

I just thought it was amusing that Salty was making a thinly-veiled inquiry about stealing software.

Also, XCode 4 is five dollars. Are you seriously complaining that Apple bundles a bunch of tools that may not be interesting at that very moment, but that they want every developer to have access to?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2011, 04:25 PM

Besson, does everyting have to be free lunch in your world ?

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Nobody is "playing Apple police".

I just thought it was amusing that Salty was making a thinly-veiled inquiry about stealing software.

Also, XCode 4 is five dollars. Are you seriously complaining that Apple bundles a bunch of tools that may not be interesting at that very moment, but that they want every developer to have access to?

Ahhh, it's $5 on the app store, okay... I was looking at $99 to become an Apple Developer to download it from the dev site.

$5 is worth it for the cost of bandwidth alone...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Besson, does everyting have to be free lunch in your world ?

-t

Does everything have to be needlessly confrontational in yours?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2011, 04:31 PM

Everybody relax; we've figured out the source of misunderstanding.

Drinks will be served shortly.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2011, 05:10 PM

Are you buying, Spheric?

I have no idea how I missed the $5 purchase, I could have sworn it required becoming an Apple dev... Oh well, I'm downloading XCode 4 as we speak! If XCode costed $100, *that* would suck.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Does everything have to be needlessly confrontational in yours?
Sure, and now your turn to answer the question.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Sure, and now your turn to answer the question.

-t

Have I ever told you that you would make a shitty Care Bear?

Chill.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2011, 06:11 PM

I know, unlike you. You make great shit.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 11, 2011, 06:22 PM

Seriously folks? In the OS X forum? Let's keep things technical. And keep them off the grade school playground.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2011, 08:37 PM

Besson, as far as I know Jesus only stayed a baby for a couple years. I'm fairly certain the romans didn't crucify an infant.

Spheric what harm is there exactly in me trying out the new release of OS X and then buying it once it ships? I'm not needing to test my apps. You can't say that I'm not willing to give Apple cash, I just shelled out over 1600 dollars on my MacBook Pro, I have owned every iPhone since it's released, not to mention sold hundreds of them when I worked for Rogers Wireless. And I've bought probably 90% of the music in my library off of iTunes. Do you really think Steve or anyone at Apple would shed a tear if I pirate the developer build to have a look see, and then buy it once it comes out in the summer?

Like seriously dude, go spend some of your extra cash on therapy.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2011, 06:44 AM

Hit home, didn't I?

(Seriously, is it an indication of needing therapy to point out the irony in a previous Bible-thumper-turned-flamboyantly-gay talking publicly about stealing pre-release software? It's especially delightful that you got all testy when people replied as if you were innocently enquiring.)

Relax, mate - it's all in good fun.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2011, 07:52 AM

I don't get it. Gay religious dudes are not supposed to use pre-release software, but the rest if us can?

-Q-
Apr 24, 2011, 08:02 AM

Aaaand we're done.

Last and final warning to keep it on topic, which if we've forgotten, is about Lion and the current preview. Nothing more.

Here, I'll help:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/23/mac-o...wallpapers-re/

Those are some pretty hi-rez icons and backgrounds. Whatever could it mean?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2011, 02:28 PM

I'd just like to put out there that the developer program is an excellent value for people interested in pre-release versions of OS X. You get to play with the developer builds and discuss them on Apple's internal developer forums, whose members include Apple employees, and since the build that eventually becomes GM will in all likelihood be seeded to you first, you'll save $30 on the final release, since it will most likely cost $130, and the developer program only costs $100. You also save $5 on the Xcode 4 download.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2011, 08:12 PM

I didn't know the new cheaper developer program includes OS releases.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2011, 01:23 AM

There's only one developer program. The old ADC system is dead. The new system is modeled after the iOS developer program.
Vandelay Industries

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2011, 06:37 AM

There hasn't been a new post in the OS X forum in six days now. Nothing new to add about Lion?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 1, 2011, 11:40 PM

The changes in the last DP2 update were pretty minor and have been covered on the major Mac sites. Anything in particular you're interested in?

Salty
Professional Poster
May 9, 2011, 02:35 AM

So interesting things to note: First you don't need to burn a DVD you just launch an installer and it reboots. A MUCH less confusing process for consumers, and so long as they keep records of who bought it, a real coup for customers in the ease of use department.

Other interesting thing, they seem to have finally abandoned AirPort as a brand for anything other than their routers, they now call WiFi what it is... WiFi.

Also the Accounts pref pane is AWESOME, you can set up Google Calendar syncing, address book syncing and Mail all in one quick setup. It'll even ask you in Safari when you log into Gmail if you wanna set it up. VERY NICE!

Launch Pad is still rough around the edges, I'm getting graphics glitches here and there but nothing amazing. The weird thing is that Launch Pad seems to send my processor into high gear for some reason. Every time it's open for a little bit the fan goes crazy. Oh, also Safari now auto corrects little mistakes, it underlines them in a blue line before fixing it, I imagine it'll fix the same sort of errors iOS fixes.

It would seem that Apple's unsure of what to do with iChat and FaceTime, iChat seems to still be here and you even get the options in the new accounts panel, yet FaceTime is a separate app. I'msurprised (that one for some reason won't let me put a space... I think it's actually a bug somehow!) that FaceTime is it's own app still, though I think they're still trying to figure out how the heck people would use FaceTime on a computer. I think as far as they're concerned FaceTime should be more out going. (In the second dev preview there seems to be an error where when going onto a new line Safari won't recognize spaces so words get joined.)

the new Mail UI ROCKS! Sooo much better and nicer looking than old mail. It takes a little getting used to, and sorting things by different things takes a little getting used to.

Other things I should note, Flip4Mac isn't working yet, dropbox is, NicePlayer is completely unusable.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 9, 2011, 02:46 AM

Oh, and Full Screen is still a little flaky, especially when you have a second monitor. It seems that they just make the second monitor go tweed.

P
May 11, 2011, 09:40 AM

Seeing the first reviews of the Z68 chipset (like this one) got me thinking. Basically, Intel has some software that lets you add a small SSD as a cache and improve HD response times. Apple uses the Z68 in its latest iMacs, and the mobile chipsets in the latest MBPs also seem to support this feature. This sounds like just the type of feature that Apple might add - a feature in the OS that improves the speed, transparently to the user, and one that integrates tightly with the hardware.

Now, if you'll let me dream for a second, all the iMacs and MBPs with Core i series processors have the hardware to do this (it seems to use the hardware RAID function in the chipset), so this feature could be added to earlier machines as well, but that sounds VERY unlike Apple to do.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2011, 01:43 PM

Oh, also Safari now auto corrects little mistakes, it underlines them in a blue line before fixing it, I imagine it'll fix the same sort of errors iOS fixes.
This had better be disablable. iOS tends to ‘fix’ at least as many proper words into gibberish as it does gibberish into proper words.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 12, 2011, 03:17 PM

Hmm, you can also check grammar now in Safari. Don't know if you could have done that before. Though it doesn't seem to be the same grammar check as Pages since I just started a sentence that Pages would have underlined in green and it didn't.

But the auto correct actually works QUITE well. It's not as invasive as iOS's. Mostly it does words like teh and beleive that sorta thing. So far it's been super useful! And yes you can disable it, you just have to go to edit. At first it was greyed out with a check mark, but then I disabled check spelling and selected it again and the check was gone.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 12, 2011, 03:18 PM

Also an SSD Cache would be awesome. I've heard great things about the Seagate Momentus XTs, but then I've also heard a lot about them failing in Macs.

Either way though I plan on getting a boot SSD once my warranty is up.

Hiratai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2011, 08:39 AM

Anyone else notice that emoji has been removed since DP2? I'm betting there's a Terminal command out there to enable it again.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2011, 04:58 AM

For those who can't wait, new desktops in the wild. (Pun intended)

ilovemymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2011, 02:25 PM

can't wait for the actual summer release man !

cgc
Professional Poster
May 15, 2011, 04:18 PM

Grammar checking and auto complete are garbage as they have no idea what you really wanted to say.

Dirk Lenz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
For those who can't wait, new desktops in the wild. (Pun intended)

Lion roaring on my iMac G4 - thank you very much ;-)

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 15, 2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Grammar checking and auto complete are garbage as they have no idea what you really wanted to say.
I don't use grammar checking but the autocomplete is accurate probably 90%+ of the time. I especially like its automatic spelling correction.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Hmm, you can also check grammar now in Safari. Don't know if you could have done that before. Though it doesn't seem to be the same grammar check as Pages since I just started a sentence that Pages would have underlined in green and it didn't.

But the auto correct actually works QUITE well. It's not as invasive as iOS's. Mostly it does words like teh and beleive that sorta thing. So far it's been super useful! And yes you can disable it, you just have to go to edit. At first it was greyed out with a check mark, but then I disabled check spelling and selected it again and the check was gone.
It's been there since Snow Leopard, it's just turned on by default now.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 15, 2011, 10:48 PM

Grammar check is useful, least in Pages. Working on my novel I had no idea how often my character said, "in fact" and "actually." After much shame and a lot of editing, Pages is less angry at my manuscript. Though I wish there'd be a way to tell it to ignore certain rules, ESPECIALLy for a folder/project full of documents. IE, my character starts sentences with the word But. I don't need to have that pointed out to me all the time.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2011, 11:51 PM

What's wrong with "in fact" or "actually"? Grammar check is useful every once in a long while, as it should be for anyone who is writing in his or her native language.

P
May 16, 2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
What's wrong with "in fact" or "actually"? .
Nothing, unless overused. As I understand, the grammar checker will tell you if you keep using the same constructions over and over again. That's nice.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2011, 07:12 AM

In fact, that's what it actually does.
( Last edited by -Q-; May 16, 2011 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary thread-derailing comment.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules