Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod "Groove jacket"

iPod "Groove jacket"
dooger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2002, 02:50 PM

I'm looking into getting a case for my iPod and I found the Groove Jacket over at everythingipod.com. Does anyone here have this case or seen an iPod in it? The other case I'm choosing between is the one from xtrememac. Thanks.

dooger
iBook 500/640/Combo
Cube 450/640/DVD
30 GB iPod

atarirat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2002, 05:57 PM

Yeah, I have a groove jacket on my pod.

Originally, I bought it because it was the best looking one out there. Turns out that it is a real dust and lint magnet. Started looking dingy after the first time I shoved it in my pocket. At first I was disappointed and wished I'd paid about ten dollars less for it. However, I have been using it since January and it has held up marvelously.

I like to keep the pod in my pocket and just push the buttons through the fabric. This case is not very bulky and does a great job at letting me use my pod as if there was no case on it at all. Be warned the silcone provides a lot of friction. Not easy to take on and off the pod, not easy to fit in and out of a tight pocket. However, it is perfect for setting on a dashboard or desktop without worries of sliding around.

Protectionwise, it is better than nothing. Severe impacts aside, I have dropped my pod twice and been relieved to have the case there. I like working in a woodshop and have no problem setting it on dusty crappy tables since getting the groove jacket. I recommend putting clear vinyl over the screen and your pod should stay looking brand new indefinitely.

Hope this helps.

Happy polly loggies me
little droogies

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2002, 02:32 PM

I'd recommend the Groove Jacket. It fits perfectly, snugly, and will ensure that your iPod is never scratched. There are plastic films you can buy to protect the screen from scratches, but the Groove jacket fits so secure that you can use any clear, dense, plastic film to protect the screen.

While it's very thick, it shouldn't be confused with a case. It's a second layer of protection (a jacket), that's all. I also have a cheap-o case that I use to carry the pod.

I never remove my iPod from the jacket. It does one thing, perfectly!

<small>[ 07-05-2002, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: GORDYmac ]</small>

fishguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2002, 09:15 PM

I too am interested in the groove glove. However, I require a belt clip. The adhesive style knob that everything ipod sells (for a swivel clip) won't stick to the groove glove. My idea was to cut a small hole in the groove glove, stick the knob directly to the back of the ipod and pull the groove glove over the ipod so that the knob protrudes through the hole and could then be used with a swivel belt clip. For those with a groove jacket, is there enough stretch or elasticity to pull it over the knob? How thick is the groove jacket? I'm also concerned that it might be too thick and would interfere with the knob attaching to the belt clip. Would groove glove owners please advise me on my idea before I sink $$ into it.

I am also considering a case from extrememac but like the idea of the groove glove.

appreciate it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules