Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > getting a powerbook

getting a powerbook
davekaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2003, 12:20 AM

i have made the decision to switch to a mac. i have also decided to buy a 12" powerbook. but i am stuck in the same place many others are. first, price is a big concern for me. so, that means that the current 12" powerbook is plenty for me - i don't need any PCMCIA card, DVI-out, L3 cache, new "G5" cpu or wtever - nothing. the only thing i may be interested in is if apple came out with a version that produces less heat (or does a better job of keeping cool) - since many folks seem to complain about that. so here is the dilema. i would buy the powerbook right now - if i didn't know there was a conference in a week. so do you guys think it's safe to wait until after the conference, or am i risking the price going up due to a revision to the 12"?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2003, 02:55 AM

There's been a thread recently about this heat issue. The conclusion was that for the vast majority of owners there is no heat issue. My PB certainly gets warm but never hot, even under heavy load.

Don't let it stop you from buying a great little machine. I've been using Apple laptops for years and years and the 12" PB is the best one, ever.
I'd still wait a couple of days if you can. Prices won't go up and you might get an upgraded machine.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2003, 05:19 AM

And if the prices do go up you might be able to get a clearance deal, if you're lucky.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2003, 05:51 AM

I agree w/ Angus...it'd be worth your while to wait until WWDC (June 25th) to see if new 12" PBs are layed out, and then you can judge for yourself if you want to invest in the latest & greatest or get yourself a closeout leftover. MacMall and other Mac resellers always have great deals on leftovers (like the 700Mhz & 800Mhz iBooks when the 900Mhz iBook's came out) and you'd probably get a better deal waiting until something newer came out.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

davekaro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2003, 08:59 AM

i think i agree with you all that i should wait to see if the 12" gets a revision and if it will be worth it. the thing is, i'm not sure if i will get as good a deal because right now through education i can get an ipod and a printer and get 300 bucks back...then if i sell those both for what i payed - that brings the cost of the powerbook(standard combo drive) to $1311 including tax. So i'd have to find a place selling closeout models for like $1236. do you think they will really go this low?! so that's why i feel so much pressure to get it now at the apple store, - cause it's so cheap and i'm not sure i'll be able to get it this cheap again. but we'll see - i think that during WWDC, if they do announce a revision to the 12" - i will still be able to buy the same one on apple's store now,(for a few days at least) so i'll decide if i want the revision then - and if not, i'll buy the current one.
thanks guys!
-dave

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jun 15, 2003, 03:29 PM

I really don't think Apple will increase the price. They usually only do that when there is a MAJOR change, such as a new CPU or new design. Considering the 12" is basically a brand new design I doubt this will happen. Even if Apple were to release the G5 in a PowerBook next week, which I very seriously doubt, it's almost a forgone conclusion that it wouldn't make it into the 12" model. I think waiting would be a very safe bet.

daniel999
Jun 15, 2003, 03:47 PM

I am just guessing...... will they release a 1" (or less) thick 12" PB next week? 1.18" is not thick... but it would be nice if it is 1" or less
Got a 12" Powerbook ^__^

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jun 15, 2003, 11:38 PM

That would be a major redesign. Since the 12" is an entirely new form factor and was just released in January, I highly doubt that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules