Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What do you think is the worst movie ever?

What do you think is the worst movie ever? (Page 2)
John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2004, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
I repeat myself, TROLL 2, rent it, watch it, then repost here.
I'll dare to go even lower with the Leprechaun series, particularly Leprechaun 4: In Space

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Mask, it had Cher in it. IT WAS GOOD!!!

Maybe there's two schools of thought on it. All the people that I know think it's horrible.

How about The Birds 2? I was in Raleigh hittin on some girl at a party. Turns out she's the daughter in this movie - Stephanie something. So I went home and rented it - couldn't make it through. Cool thing is that she gets $800 a month from royalties.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2004, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by John F. Smith:
I'll dare to go even lower with the Leprechaun series, particularly Leprechaun 4: In Space

Nope, Toll 2 is worse than that (yes, I've seen all the Leprechaun movies.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 11:46 PM

Jaws 3 & even worse, 4.

Manchurian Candidate (new version)

John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2004, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by SeSawaya:
Manchurian Candidate (new version)
most of the movies people are mentioning are definitely not the worst movies ever. instead of listing movies you might have been disappointed by, dig deep into your memory and pull out the WORST one you've ever seen

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2004, 11:56 PM

most of the movies people are mentioning are definitely not the worst movies ever. instead of listing movies you might have been disappointed by, dig deep into your memory and pull out the WORST one you've ever seen
Ya I knew it would happen (I mean spiderman?).

Anywho, all the ones I listed I do consider REALLY REALLY bad except for The Village, which was just REALLY bad.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 12:21 AM

I think there's a trade-off between production cost and disappointment. People will mention Waterworld before some horrible film that only cost $20,000.

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 27, 2004, 12:43 AM

OK, how bout worst ones I can think of from the past 10 years or so (that I've seen and that haven't been featured on MST3K):

Speed 2 - Yes, Willem DaFoe's face certainly IS scary.
The Avengers - Eddie Izzard, one of my favorite comics, is in this just to utter the F word and garner a PG-13 rating
Chutney Popcorn - Low budget lesbian comedy(?) is too low budget, too skimpy on believable characters, and too boring to endure.
Ninth Gate - I have a brilliant idea for a movie: Let's take the devil...you with me?...and make it boring as hell? The ending on this one...it's...oh my.
Godzilla (1998) - Bring back the rubber suit.
Batman & Robin - A little kid that sat behind me best summed it up: "That movie sucked."
Congo - Talking gorillas, Bruce Campbell dying early, scenes ripped off from other sci-fi movies...oh yeah, this thing had everything going for it.
( Last edited by Demonhood; Aug 27, 2004 at 12:52 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2004, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
The Postman. Kevin Costner should just.. go away. You think he'd have learned after Waterworld?
Disagree.

Postman is TEH GREAT !

-t

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 12:56 AM

Gigli

JLo AND Affleck in separate movies are bad enough, but together?

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by Demonhood:

Congo - Talking gorillas, Bruce Campbell dying early, scenes ripped off from other sci-fi movies...oh yeah, this thing had everything going for it.
you forgot to mention the floating rocks featured in this wonderful motion picture!

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 01:08 AM

All of the Leprechaun movies
Soul Plane
Police Academy
You Got Served
Troll 2
Mario Brothers
Mario Brothers was dope. It just takes a refined viewer to appreciate it is all.

Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
OK, how bout worst ones I can think of from the past 10 years or so (that I've seen and that haven't been featured on MST3K):

Speed 2 - Yes, Willem DaFoe's face certainly IS scary.
The Avengers - Eddie Izzard, one of my favorite comics, is in this just to utter the F word and garner a PG-13 rating
Chutney Popcorn - Low budget lesbian comedy(?) is too low budget, too skimpy on believable characters, and too boring to endure.
Ninth Gate - I have a brilliant idea for a movie: Let's take the devil...you with me?...and make it boring as hell? The ending on this one...it's...oh my.
Godzilla (1998) - Bring back the rubber suit.
Batman & Robin - A little kid that sat behind me best summed it up: "That movie sucked."
Godzilla and Congo. Good point! THOSE SUCKED!

Ninth Gate was more of a disappointment then the worst thing ever for me. The ending was horrid.

khufuu
Aug 27, 2004, 02:55 AM

Originally posted by mo:
Plan Nine from Outer Space.
I'm sure most have never seen this movie so would have no idea how incredibly bad it really is. I have to second this one.

Battlefield Earth probably follows a close second however.

Both make Meet Joe Black look f'n great!

Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by khufuu:

Both make Meet Joe Black look f'n great!
Scary thing is Joe black cost $90 million in 1998 and had no special effects. It was also 3 hours for NO REASON!

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 03:05 AM

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Aug 27, 2004, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Scary thing is Joe black cost $90 million in 1998 and had no special effects. It was also 3 hours for NO REASON!
but it had claire forlani, and that scene with brad pitt flipping through the air, best part, IMO.

worst movies:
planet of the apes
freddy vs. jason
alien 3
ANYTHING with bennifer affleck

speaking of movies so bad, they're good, anyone seen "Night of the Comet"?

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
...no special effects...
Ping-Pong

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Aug 27, 2004, 03:28 AM

Red Scorpion
Wild Wild West
Bad Boys 2
Road Trip
Windtalkers
and another MST3K entry: Wild Wild World of Batwoman
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Hash
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
I'll watch anything with a naked Nicole Kidman.
Was she ever naked there? I only can recall a scene with an army officer?

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by joltguy:
You've *got* to be kidding here, right? For your sake, I hope so, cuz otherwise you missed one helluva trilogy. Moreover, that movie shouldn't even have its title mentioned in a thread like this...
I've seen the first one 60 times at least !!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Ping-Pong
Hopefully that cost under 1 million.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2004, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Freddie Got Fingered.
Love that movie!

"And my son can eat a chicken sandwich!!!???"

"He's a chiiiiiiiiiiiild molesterrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!"

---

Personally, I hate Hal Hartley movies.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

dencamp
Senior User
Aug 27, 2004, 10:33 AM

Mary Shelly�s Frankenstein: seemed that Kenny Branaugh wanted to have an excuse to film himself sans shirt for half a movie. The last 30 minutes are not even the stuff of B movies. Roger Corman would have rejected that ending�

Tetsuo (Iron Man): I understand how this movie is considered a cult classic, but the entire film pushes me into migraine territory.

The Real Blonde: Admittedly, I saw a version of the movie at a test screening and it may have changed, but that was without a doubt the worst pile of shite I�ve seen. Pointless in the extreme, the slow motion dog-returning-to-owner shot gave me hives.

Splitting Heirs: A Rick Moranis film that was inflicted upon me while trapped in a plane for 13 hours. They played it twice.

Cop and a Half: See Splitting Heirs (the return trip)

Any Whit Stillman Film, but perhaps Barcelona is the worst. In 6 hours of his films, I have managed to have only one mildly positive reaction to about 30 seconds.

Hardware: Even Lemmy Killmeister couldn�t save this movie. Orange filter does not always mean a well conceived dystopian future.

Freejack: Can�t remember why it pissed me off. Quite frankly, the title and this sick feeling are all that remain in my memory.

Two steps forward (six steps back)

Sarc
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 11:13 AM

all of the fighting video games movies:
Street Fighter
Mortal Comabat

also

House of the Dead ... damn !!!
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

SafariX
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 11:41 AM

The Avengers (with Ethan Hawke), the only movie I've ever left the theater for. Batman & Robin was absolutely terrible.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2004, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by dencamp:
[B}Any Whit Stillman Film, but perhaps Barcelona is the worst. In 6 hours of his films, I have managed to have only one mildly positive reaction to about 30 seconds.

Hardware: Even Lemmy Killmeister couldn�t save this movie. Orange filter does not always mean a well conceived dystopian future. [/B]
OMG, I understand your Whit Stillman pain! Why does all his dialogue have to sound like it's one voice with the same cadence and vocabulary for every character!?

And Hardware... well, enough said. That orange filter should have rreduced the R rating to PG-13, because there was nothing anyone could discern...
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by SafariX:
The Avengers (with Ethan Hawke)
He wasn't in The Avengers.

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2004, 12:03 PM

Leonard Part 6 (this was released back in 1987 for you youngsters around here). Bill Cosby was the star of this movie and even he advised people not to watch it because it was so bad.

lw

jedi2187
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2004, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Wing Commander.
I second that. You ought to see the ratings this waste of celluloid got on Rotten Tomatoes. My favourite is Roger Ebert's review.
What's worse, I go to the fan site, www.wcnews.com and look at their forums, where they debate endlessly about how the movie fits into the WC canon.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
He wasn't in The Avengers.
I meant Ralph Fiennes...not sure why I said Ethan Hawke.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
Another vote for BOTH these movies. Horrible....
Some friends and I saw The Postman years back when it was released. There weren't that many people in the theatre, and eventually the few of us were just loudly making fun of the film which didn't seem to be minded by the other movie patrons since they were laughing at what we had to say!

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by stevesnj:

How about 'Attack of the Killer Tomatoes'
No no, that film is a bloody classic! It's so bad and yet so good.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2004, 12:47 PM

"Polyester"

Ugh. Remember, movies and scratch-n-sniff cards don't mix.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082926/
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:
all of the fighting video games movies:
Street Fighter
Mortal Comabat

also

House of the Dead ... damn !!!
Well, I have a soft spot for Mortal Kombat even though I thought Christopher Lambert was the worst choice for Raiden.

But House of the Dead did suck; you're right! I'm a huge zombie film fan, can tolerate a lot of bad zombie flicks, but that film was just shitty on every level. (Hmm... except for the Asian girl that was in it but she dies.) But switching to clips from the VIDEO GAME part way during fight scenes? Who the hell thought that splicing a video game that not everyone has played into the film about the video game would make for exciting action??
( Last edited by Jim Paradise; Aug 27, 2004 at 01:11 PM. )

Sarc
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
But switching to clips from the VIDEO GAME part way during fight scenes? Who the hell thought that splicing a video game that not everyone has played into the film about the video game would make for exciting action??
well ... Tomb Raider did very well, thanks to gorgeus Angelina Jolie that is.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Beewee
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Matt OS X:
"The Last Action Hero"
Actor : By current California governor
No way it beats "Jingle All The Way." Sinbad/Arnold duet...the perfect recipe for crap.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 02:43 PM

Seems as though almost all of the nominations here, and almost all the movies on the IMDB Bottom 100, are either sequels (many times the third or fourth movie of a series), video game movies, or movies about a music group, starring a singer instead of an actor as the main character. I wonder why those types of movies even get made anymore - they're a total waste of time and I've rarely seen any do well, so what's the point? I mean, when Britney Spears decided to do "Crossroads," why didn't she realize that both "Glitter" and "Spice World" were some of the least successful movies of all time? Well, serves her right I guess.

My own nominations for the absolute worst, most stomach-turning films I've ever been unfortunate enough to see:

- Kung Pow! Enter The Fist
- Euro Trip
- Hollow Man
- Deep Blue Sea

The first, Kung Pow, is by far the worst of the four I mentioned. The entire thing is full of cut-up scenes from an old Kung Fu movie, with the main character digitally inserted into the scenes. That guy, Steve Oedekerk, was the writer, director, main character, and also served as the only voice you hear throughout the movie. He was also the wretched scum responsible for "Thumb Wars."

Now, this movie may have had the potential to be funny. If they had a team of highly talented voice actors who are very good at impressions, it might have been okay. After all, those old Kung Fu movies are pretty silly to watch. But this guy insisted on doing all the voices himself, and he can basically only do maybe two different voices, both of which are extremely annoying.

I saw Euro Trip in a theater. Yes, I paid full price . Stupid me. You can tell that not one scene in the entire movie is actually in Europe. The characters spend all their time driving, riding on buses, or walking around on nondescript streets and walkways. Other than the copious female nudity (which is canceled out by excessive male nudity), it has nothing going for it.

The last two are basically the same thing. First half of the movie is exposition, detailing how a certain monster comes to be. The second half is a gore-fest in which said monster escapes and kills everyone except for maybe two or three survivors, who manage to outsmart it somehow (generally it involves a gigantic explosion). These movies are a dime a dozen, and I've never liked them.

I guess it's lucky I have never seen the Troll or Leprechaun movies many are speaking of.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2004, 02:44 PM

It's been posted on here already, but I have to say that no movie has ever made me as angry as Batman & Robin. I can say without hesitation that it is the worst movie ever made.

I feel like I should qualify this, my hate runs so deep. I've always felt that a movie has several aspects that will contribute to whether it's "good" or "bad." Things like, plot, dialogue, production design, music, editing, acting. Now, it's easy to find movies that fail in many of these categories. Case in point: The Matrix trilogy. The first one: pretty good, and fun. It had a strong plot, great production design, and memorable music. However, it also had some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard, and some of the cheesiest acting I've ever seen (excluding Hugo Weaving and most of Laurence Fishburne's performance). It wasn't a perfect movie, but wasn't bad either. The sequels were bad, however, and nothing anyone can say here can change the fact that the plot went nowhere, the writing was terrible the acting was worse (including Weaving, which pissed me right off), the production design looked cheaper than The Matrix, and the wire-fu and digital stunt doubles were atrocious. I absolutely hated them.

But they weren't the worst I've ever seen, because the Wachowski's at least showed some integrity. Their vision was flawed but they stuck with it. Though I wished the story had gone in a (vastly) different direction, it still led to a fairly logical conclusion. There was no excuse for the way some of the movie was handled but it was definitely not the worst of all time.

(BTW, for all you Matrix fanboys, watch Dark City. It's like The Matrix except amazing)

Anyway, my point. Batman & Robin. The worst movie ever. Here's why, using my breakdown:

Plot: Overblown at it's most overblownest. Tim Burton's Batman had Batman and the Joker. Batman & Robin had Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, and Bane. And Joel Schumacher expected this to work? The story was as convoluted as could be, with every moment only serving the purpose of overloading the viewer with character and action. Terrible.

Dialogue: Well, See for yourself. My personal favorite: "I hate to disappoint you but my rubber lips are immune to your charms" - Robin. Ugh.

Production design: Okay, so Batman, the Dark F*cking Knight is gonna drive a neon light-filled convertible!?! Abosolute bullsh*t. Tim Burton's Batman had scope. You felt like you were in Gotham City. This piece of sh*t never made me feel like we were on anything but a soundstage. And, oh yeah: nipples.

Music: Anything but Danny Elfman sucks. Never once was the score menacing. It was Batman, and never menacing.

Cinematography/Editing: Boy, I sure do love me some Dutch angles. But wait, I've got a great idea! What if we use them for every shot! That would be awesome! And as for editing, watch for the final fight with Poison Ivy. I've never seen so much looped footage in my life.

Acting: Awful. I really like Clooney, but he's not Batman. O'Donnell and Silverstone are as wooden as they come. And Schwarzenegger sucks. End of story.

(I'm only gonna go on for a little longer, so bear with me)

So it's sucking on all cylinders, right? But as I said, there has to be more to make it the worst movie of all time. And here it is:

Batman is almost 80 years old.

His adventures are followed and loved by millions.

By making Batman & Robin the way he did, Joel f*cking Schumacher took a sh*t on all of us. He ignored the history. He ignored the design of the character. He ignored the spirit of the character. This is inexcusable. While I hated the Matrix sequels, they didn't have 80 years of history to live up to. They had one movie. When I saw them I just thought "Man, those sucked." But Batman & Robin made me more angry than I thought possible.

I'm sorry I took so long to say all this. I just hate it that much. I guess I'm done.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 27, 2004, 02:50 PM

I agree with everything you said about batman except for the costume design for batman/robin. And yes, I even liked the nipples.

"Hello, what have we here?

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2004, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
I agree with everything you said about batman except for the costume design for batman/robin. And yes, I even liked the nipples.
I can't believe you read all that. I didn't even realize how long it was until I posted it.

Anyway, Batman needs to be able to dissappear into the shadows. He needs to be able to be absolute black. That means nothing shiny. There was something about the Batman Forever and Batman & Robin batsuits that just gave them that awful sheen. Batman needs to look like this:

NOT this:

And I will never like or understand the nipples. I'll just have to disagree with you on that one.

edit: sorry about the bad link
( Last edited by JLFanboy; Aug 27, 2004 at 03:17 PM. )

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
My own nominations for the absolute worst, most stomach-turning films I've ever been unfortunate enough to see:
- Kung Pow! Enter The Fist
- Euro Trip
- Hollow Man
- Deep Blue Sea
See, I would never willingly see any of those films at a theatre. Might wait for them to show up on TV, and then only if I was really desperate for entertainment.

Euro Trip... You can tell that not one scene in the entire movie is actually in Europe.
Huh? It was filmed in Germany and Czech Republic.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 03:06 PM

Second picture don't work. Even when re-entering it in a new window.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
Huh? It was filmed in Germany and Czech Republic.
Really? Wow. Well, that's news to me. I just assumed it wasn't filmed in Europe because they never show the actors near any landmarks.

It still sucked.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 27, 2004, 03:09 PM

The later batman costumes were very toy like and high tech in the last 2 movies, they looked cool standing alone but yes, they don't match the character as well. I do like the one from the first movie the most, in the second he had high tech abs.

"Hello, what have we here?

kenazo
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2004, 03:58 PM

Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai

What made it worse was the fact that it was super-hyped by some people...

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Second picture don't work. Even when re-entering it in a new window.
Of course not, Angelfire doesn't allow remote linking. You only see because it was in your browser cache.

ringo
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by kenazo:
Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai
Wow, I love that movie, but it was filmed where I live, so I may be a little biased.

Just curious: what was it about this movie that turned you off?

Il Duce
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2004, 07:29 PM

The three worst movies I can think of that haven't been listed:

Ishtar
Kevin and Perry Go Large
Kazzam (Shaq as a rapping genie) - even my 6 year old brother realised it was $hit after 20 minutes
The Duke

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2004, 07:35 PM

Boogie Nights.

Only movie I've walked out of.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules