Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro RAM

MacBook Pro RAM
thayalan6868
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2006, 03:46 PM

I recently purchased my MBP with 512MB of RAM. I don't use many intensive programs but I love to multi-task. I'll have Safari, Mail, AIM, Word and Excel all running at the same time. In addition to programs running in the background like Finder and Dashboard. I found that sometime, the computer would hang up and slow down, especially whilst typing. I figured it could probably use a memory upgrade. Checking out newegg.com, the RAM prices are GREAT. Can I get away with another 512MB or should I get 1GB?

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2006, 03:52 PM

I got a 1gb stick of Patriot ram from Newegg, works great and the price was good too.

thayalan6868  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
I got a 1gb stick of Patriot ram from Newegg, works great and the price was good too.
How much of a difference did you notice from 512MB to 1.5GB>

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2006, 04:52 PM

I'd go for a gig; since the chipset (945PM) supports asymmetric dual channel, there's no performance advantage to matching memory stick size.

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2006, 04:58 PM

It does support asymmetric dual Channel? I had heard that it only supported matched sets. At any rate it's good news.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by VanillaEps
How much of a difference did you notice from 512MB to 1.5GB>
Huge difference depending on what you're doing. The 1gb module is cheap anyway.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Timetheus
It does support asymmetric dual Channel? I had heard that it only supported matched sets. At any rate it's good news.
Yes.
Previous implementations of dual channel (in the G5s and many PCs) only supported symmetric dual channel (matched pairs). The chipset in all of the Intel Macs (945PM/GM) supports asymmetric dual channel, so you do not need to match memory pairs.

02gtstang
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2006, 08:09 PM

I got gigaram from newegg, since Patriot was sold out. works great! 2gb makes a huge difference. everything is instant.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2006, 09:28 PM

I think this is the first I hve heard of Patriot. I am still on the fence as to what brand I am going to buy. Guess it all depends on when I get some extra money.
SAm

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2006, 12:51 AM

When I first got my MBP, I upgraded to 1GB 1 SO-DIMM (original 1 512MB SO-DIMM). It works fine but as I leave more programs opened, it get slower to switch between programs. After a week or so owning the MBP, I upgraded to 2GB. Just super happy now, no lag between switching programs and yes, everything does seems to run snappier.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

thayalan6868  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2006, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by sknapp351
I think this is the first I hve heard of Patriot. I am still on the fence as to what brand I am going to buy. Guess it all depends on when I get some extra money.
SAm
I feel the same way. Newegg.com has got 5 or so different brands of memory that they sell at a reasonable price. But every review has got at least one MBP owner mentioning that the memory failed on them.

lowdaksport
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
I'd go for a gig; since the chipset (945PM) supports asymmetric dual channel, there's no performance advantage to matching memory stick size.
Just out of curiousity, with my 15 inch powerbook is it better to run 2 of the same sized chips? Becasue I have a 512 and a 1 gig in mine.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by lowdaksport
Just out of curiousity, with my 15 inch powerbook is it better to run 2 of the same sized chips? Becasue I have a 512 and a 1 gig in mine.
The PowerBooks don't support dual channel at all, so it doesn't matter if you have one chip, two same size chips, or two different size chips.

lowdaksport
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2006, 10:54 PM

good to know, thank you.

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2006, 11:28 PM

+1 for gigaram

Don't buy A-Data, I had a problem, and they were very unwilling to help me out

HouseSold
Senior User
Apr 26, 2006, 01:20 AM

Don't buy A-Data, I had a problem, and they were very unwilling to help me out[/QUOTE]

I returned AData to NewEgg also; these were a better deal for $68/gigAR from Outpost/Frys.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/470...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

trowa barton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2006, 01:52 AM

I bought the Crucial 1GB stick from Newegg. I just got my MBP and installed the RAM stick. So far no problems. I read some where else that Apple uses Crucial RAM for the MBP's and PowerPC Mac's. Crucial is more expensive but I have been using them for PC's and Mac's for years with no problems.
.: trowa
.: Powerbook G4 1GHz|1GB RAM|Superdrive|60 Gb HD|Airport

Peligro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2006, 05:28 PM

Is it okay to mix the apple supplied RAM and one from frys or newegg?

02gtstang
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2006, 05:44 PM

hell yeah it is! I have apple ram and Gigaram from newegg. My mbp runs like a champ!

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2006, 04:02 AM

I added Corsair RAM, no problem at all. Good price as well.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

ksloan2
Apr 28, 2006, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Yes.
Previous implementations of dual channel (in the G5s and many PCs) only supported symmetric dual channel (matched pairs). The chipset in all of the Intel Macs (945PM/GM) supports asymmetric dual channel, so you do not need to match memory pairs.
Wow, I had no idea that technology like this even existed. Very interestin information!

I will be buying a 1gb Crucial or Corsair memory next month so I'll have 1.5gb in my 1.83 MBP.

My main griped with application lag using 512mb is the text input windows slowdown (and also, World of Warcraft is completely unplayable).

Nomadic Logic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2006, 07:24 AM

My 1 GB stick of Patriot RAM from NewEgg just shipped. It'll be here about 10 days before my MBP.
Politics is not a team sport.

thayalan6868  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2006, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by eobet
Wow, I had no idea that technology like this even existed. Very interestin information!

I will be buying a 1gb Crucial or Corsair memory next month so I'll have 1.5gb in my 1.83 MBP.

My main griped with application lag using 512mb is the text input windows slowdown (and also, World of Warcraft is completely unplayable).
I suffer from the same problem on my 1.84Ghz. Its very snappy with applications, but if I have adium, entourage, and safari open, writing an email becomes a bit of a problem.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2006, 09:39 AM

I added a 1 GB RAM module from OWC to go to 2 GB, works great.

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2006, 09:40 PM

I have a 17" PB 1.67ghz. (Latest and greatest.) Would the 1gig stick from this computer work in a new 17" MacBook Pro? Is it compatible?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2006, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by tonewheel
I have a 17" PB 1.67ghz. (Latest and greatest.) Would the 1gig stick from this computer work in a new 17" MacBook Pro? Is it compatible?
It is compatible and it would work, but it's only PC2-4200 while the MBP can take up to PC2-5300, so you'll see a bit of a performance penalty.

Peligro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2006, 04:37 AM

Just to add my expierience:

I decided to go for the A-Data 1gb stick from Newegg.com (mentioned in this thread. Thanks guys!)
I coupled it with the 1gb stick that i got from apple and so far its working great!
I read a review that someone had a bad expierience coupling a 1gb stick with a 512 supplied from apple and was crossing my fingers that 2 of the same would work and it did!

Anyways, I know it was mentioned here that A-data was to be avoided but so far everything is all good. Thanks again!

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by tonewheel
I think it would work. FWIW, though, I have a PB 1.67 (Rev D), and asked my Apple rep that same question. He very quickly said it would not.

CincyGamer
May 3, 2006, 05:18 PM

bought the 1 GB samsung stick from OWC.. is awesome was $179 + shipping

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by CincyGamer
bought the 1 GB samsung stick from OWC.. is awesome was $179 + shipping
Yow!
I thought Crucial was pricey at $156.26, but at least they includes free 2nd day shipping.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Peligro
Is it okay to mix the apple supplied RAM and one from frys or newegg?
yes

Riemann Zeta
May 10, 2006, 06:54 PM

While the newegg RAM prices are always tempting, I have noticed that in general, computers that I have upgraded super-discount budget RAM seem to have more issues (just plain weird sh*t, like kernel faults, driver-level errors, BSODs, etc...) than computers with so-called "premium" RAM.
So, this time, in upgrading my MacBook Pro from 1GB to 1.5GB, I decided to go with Micron PC5300 from crucial.com. I have never had any issues with Crucial RAM--of course, I have also ended up having no issues with budget RAM as well. I guess I just wanted to be safe, as it seems this newer generation '666MHz QDR' RAM might be a lot less fault tolerant than old-school 133MHz SDR or DDR RAM.

My question is one, however, that has been raised a number of times (sorry to keep beating a dead horse, but I have never read a good solid answer to this one):

Intel claims that the 945GT chipset in the MacBook Pro supports asymmetric interleaving (QDR or DDR2 bandwidth), so SODIMMs can be different memory sizes, as long as: (1) they are the same CAS latency and (2) both SODIMM slots are populated. Apple, however, claims that interleaving requires two identical SODIMMs. Will my machine still perform at QDR memory bus speeds if I have 1.5GB (obviously, one 1GB and one 512GB stick)? Upgrading to 2GB was a little too rich for my blood and not really needed right now (maybe someday) and upgrading to 4GB...well, let's just say, holy f*ck, a 2GB SO-DIMM costs as much as the MacBook Pro itself!
( Last edited by Riemann Zeta; May 10, 2006 at 07:03 PM. )
God is just a statistic...

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2006, 11:55 PM

newegg also sells crucial, corsair, samsung or whatever quality brand you want...just have to pick it out.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Riemann Zeta
While the newegg RAM prices are always tempting, I have noticed that in general, computers that I have upgraded super-discount budget RAM seem to have more issues (just plain weird sh*t, like kernel faults, driver-level errors, BSODs, etc...) than computers with so-called "premium" RAM.
So, this time, in upgrading my MacBook Pro from 1GB to 1.5GB, I decided to go with Micron PC5300 from crucial.com. I have never had any issues with Crucial RAM--of course, I have also ended up having no issues with budget RAM as well. I guess I just wanted to be safe, as it seems this newer generation '666MHz QDR' RAM might be a lot less fault tolerant than old-school 133MHz SDR or DDR RAM.
n.b. The FSB is 667Mhz QDR (167Mhz quad data rate), but the memory bus is 667Mhz DDR (333Mhz dual data rate).

Originally Posted by Riemann Zeta
My question is one, however, that has been raised a number of times (sorry to keep beating a dead horse, but I have never read a good solid answer to this one):

Intel claims that the 945GT chipset in the MacBook Pro supports asymmetric interleaving (QDR or DDR2 bandwidth), so SODIMMs can be different memory sizes, as long as: (1) they are the same CAS latency and (2) both SODIMM slots are populated. Apple, however, claims that interleaving requires two identical SODIMMs.
From the teardowns I've seen Apple is using 945PM (iMac, MBP) and 945GM (mini), not 945GT; although this is really just splitting hairs (AFAIK it's mostly a difference in power consumption).
There are three discrepancies between Intel's chipset specs and Apple's system specs:
Maximum memory - Apple says 2GB, Intel says 4GB
Memory speed - Apple says 667Mhz only, Intel says 400, 533, or 667Mhz
Dual channel support - Apple says symmetric only, Intel says symmetric or asymmetric (but populated)

The only discrepancy I have seen confirmed is the memory speeds: users have reported using 533Mhz memory just fine.

Based on Apple's past history, I'd guess they're understating the maximum memory capacity. The dual channel support may be Apple reprinting old information (about the G5 chipsets), or they may have had to disable asymmetric dual channel for some reason. I'd like to see confirmation of both, espically the former.

candidi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2007, 10:35 AM

Hey,

Quick question: how can I determine the CAS latency of my 15" 2.16 GHz MBP? I currently have 1 GB of memory at 667MHz and would like to upgrade to 2 GB, but I want to be sure to get a compatible memory stick. Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 19, 2007, 11:31 AM

It should have a CAS latency of 5. That's the way mine came, and it looks like that's the standard for the current Intel Mac product lines.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by candidi View Post
Quick question: how can I determine the CAS latency of my 15" 2.16 GHz MBP? I currently have 1 GB of memory at 667MHz and would like to upgrade to 2 GB, but I want to be sure to get a compatible memory stick. Thanks!
I believe it's 5-5-5-12, which is the most common/mainstream timings for DDR2-667.

candidi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2007, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the CAS latency info! New question: what's the difference between SO-DIMM AND SDRAM? My computer currently has SDRAM; does that mean I have to get another of this type when I add memory, or can I get SO-DIMM memory (that seems more prevalent on Newegg.com)? Right now I'm looking at the Corsair 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM memory and the same thing made by Patriot.

And another question: I think someone mentioned this earlier, but if I get the 2GB Patriot memory addition, can I use it with my current 1GB memory for a total of 3GB? I guess the real question is, what's the maximum memory capacity for the computer (MBP, 2.16GHz)?

Thanks again.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2007, 02:26 PM

SDRAM = synchronous dynamic random access memory (this is what everybody usually means when they same "RAM" - "synchronous" means its clocked and waits for the clock trigger to respond)

DIMM = dual in-line memory module ("dual" because they have 64 bit data paths compared to the SIMM's 32 bit path)
SO-DIMM = small outline dual in-line memory module (about half the size of a DIMM, especially important for notebooks)

Both DIMM types are SDRAM.

Your MBP uses SO-DIMMs as most other notebooks. You need DDR2 PC2-5300 SO-DIMMs (667 MHz, 200pins).

P
Aug 19, 2007, 02:38 PM

And another question: I think someone mentioned this earlier, but if I get the 2GB Patriot memory addition, can I use it with my current 1GB memory for a total of 3GB? I guess the real question is, what's the maximum memory capacity for the computer (MBP, 2.16GHz)?
Simon is correct on the first question. As for the second, you will have to give us some more information. The Core Duo MBPs are reported as having a maximum of 2 GB of RAM (two DIMMs of 1 GB each) while the Core 2 Duo MBPs max out at 3 GB (one 1 GB DIMM, one 2 GB DIMM).

candidi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2007, 04:19 PM

Great -- so I can buy 2 GB of SO-DIMM memory because my computer is an Intel Core 2 Duo!

Thanks, folks!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2007, 02:50 AM

Great -- so I can buy 2 GB of SO-DIMM memory because my computer is an Intel Core 2 Duo!
Yep. The 2.16 GHz C2D MBP came with a single 1 GB SO-DIMM so there's one free slot for you to add a 2 GB SO-DIMM for a total of 3 GB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules