Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Disassembly Photos with user-removeable hard drive.

MacBook Disassembly Photos with user-removeable hard drive.
thefunkymunky
May 17, 2006, 07:09 AM

MacBook Pro - 15.4-inch/2.16GHz Intel Core Duo/2GB RAM/100GB S-ATA 5400RPM HDD/ATI X1600 256MB/SuperDrive. PSN ID: kraized
facebook

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 17, 2006, 07:36 AM

Also see this page at Kodawarisan.

http://www.kodawarisan.com/macbook/macbook001.html

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 07:44 AM

That HD thing is genius - very well designed
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Dr.Michael
May 17, 2006, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
That HD thing is genius - very well designed
Finally. This one is sweet.
My first mac was an iBook (blueberry). After that machine I only had Powerbooks. I have always thought, that the iBooks are very close to the Powerbooks in terms of specs. But the missing ability of screen spanning always made me buy a Powerbook.

Now it is different. These Macbooks are really nice. It may be very hard to justify more than 1000$ to get a MacBook Pro now. I can even put my 120 GB hd into the MacBooks without losing warranty . Well done Apple! You will lose a Powerbook customer and win a new MacBook user. I go from Pro to hobbyist (doing the same pro work of course) with a smile on my face .
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; May 17, 2006 at 09:06 AM. )

thefunkymunky  (op)
May 17, 2006, 08:13 AM

Why couldnt they design the HD replacement thingy the same for the MBP.
MacBook Pro - 15.4-inch/2.16GHz Intel Core Duo/2GB RAM/100GB S-ATA 5400RPM HDD/ATI X1600 256MB/SuperDrive. PSN ID: kraized
facebook

MacGobblin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 08:14 AM

Unfortunately I am not so easily pleased. Without some kind of PC slot the only other choice is a 15" Macbook Pro which is too big for my needs. No Double sided DVDR is another reason for me to look elsewhere. I will keep my 17" Powerbook however at home for the heavy stuff. No profit for Apple this time around.

Dr.Michael
May 17, 2006, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by MacGobblin
No Double sided DVDR is another reason for me to look elsewhere.
Bah, why would you spend money on a 2X double layer burner? That will take you an hour or more to finish one disk. This is clearly a job for an external firewire burner. Cheaper and much more powerful.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by thefunkymunky
Why couldnt they design the HD replacement thingy the same for the MBP.
Maybe we'll see a redesign for Merom.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

threestain
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 09:22 AM

No profit for Apple this time around.
Seriously, does anyone care? I'm sick and tired of people moaning about how its not 'exactly' the computer that they want.

I'm very tempted, but for the fact my TiBook is still wicked, and I have no money. However its not my ideal computer - that would make me coffee, do my revision for me, treat patients for me AND run OS X

Macola
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 09:48 AM

AI notwithstanding, has anyone confirmed that replacing the HD will not void the warranty? In the User Guide, the HD is not listed as a user-replaceable part AFAIK.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

MacGobblin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 09:48 AM

In spite of what you may think there are those out there; a lot of them, who absolutely need a small form factor ultralight with a PC express or regular size slot. No moan; just fact. So yes; there are many who care and will bypass this offering. This is just another neat Apple toy in my opinion. Probably the main reason I never owned an iBook. I do appreciate DR. Micheal's suggestion comment about ext DVD burner though.

By the way, your blog really sucks. PE-EEW!

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2006, 03:26 PM

IBy the way, your blog really sucks. PE-EEW!
There's no better way to spoil your credibility than when you post an immature personal attack like that at a post count of 4. Grow up.

Dr.Michael
May 17, 2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
There's no better way to spoil your credibility than when you post an immature personal attack like that at a post count of 4. Grow up.
You are right, but we all have our bad 5 minutes - don't we? Forgive the new ones. Kick the mods asses instead (not tookis, the will enjoy it ).

Dr.Michael
May 17, 2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
You are right, but we all have our bad 5 minutes - don't we? Forgive the new ones. Kick the mods asses instead (not tookis, he will enjoy it ).

MacGobblin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 07:32 PM

... you guys couldn't tell it was a joke. Wow, this is a really hardcore forum. Tooki put me out of my misery and ban me quick!

saif
May 17, 2006, 07:58 PM

We just received some of the new MacBooks and of course wanted to take one apart. Here are some pictures of the inside of Apple's new iBook replacement. It is much easer to take apart than any other Apple laptop and the hard drive comes out with less effort then the RAM.

Pictures here

http://www.powermax.com/articles_rev...icle.php?id=26

hldan
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 08:10 PM

In spite of what you may think there are those out there; a lot of them, who absolutely need a small form factor ultralight with a PC express or regular size slot. No moan; just fact. So yes; there are many who care and will bypass this offering.
How does anyone know at this point if they need the express card slot? There's hardly anything out that supports it right now.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Macola
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by loebjack
We just received some of the new MacBooks and of course wanted to take one apart.
Since you guys are Apple authorized service providers, maybe you can answer my question directly: If I replace the HD myself, do I void the warranty?

I know it can be done, is easy to do, etc. but that still doesn't mean it's covered by warranty.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by hldan
How does anyone know at this point if they need the express card slot? There's hardly anything out that supports it right now.
Every audio pro is going to know whether or not he needs expansion, and that most common CardBus/PCMCIA solutions will be transferred over to ExpressCard eventually is sort of a no-brainer.

Also, if you're dealing with large amounts of data, it is *very* helpful to have an extra Firewire bus for storage - separate from the one your audio interfaces are running on.

OTOH, in my case, the ability to simply swap the internal drive for a 7200 rpm one (within three minutes! ) probably outweighs the loss.

I'm currently on a 15" Powerbook, and it's just too BIG to lug around all the time.

MacGobblin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 06:24 AM

In my case it is more of a wireless card dilema. It is imperative for me to get online anywhere and any time, so I need either a built in solution for EVDO/HSPDA or a card slot. I feel in time Apple will probably offer this even in the Macbook but for people like me it will be too little too late.

galarneau
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Macola
Since you guys are Apple authorized service providers, maybe you can answer my question directly: If I replace the HD myself, do I void the warranty?

I know it can be done, is easy to do, etc. but that still doesn't mean it's covered by warranty.

Who cares? If you need to send it back, just put the old hard drive back in. It's not like they'll be able to tell unless they put some sort of adhesive tape over the drive (ala warranty void if this tape is removed).... which I doubt they did.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 10:57 AM

I too would have quickly purchased a black Macbook if there was a slot of either type.

I would keep a low profile when it comes to personal remarks as a newbee Macgobblin. Just some friendly advice.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2006, 10:57 AM

I know for a fact that replacing the hard disk on previous Apple portables with easily upgradeable hard disks (e.g. Lombard and Pismo PowerBooks) did not affect the warranty, so I would expect that it wouldn't in this case either.

threestain
Mac Elite
May 19, 2006, 06:58 AM

In spite of what you may think there are those out there; a lot of them, who absolutely need a small form factor ultralight with a PC express or regular size slot. No moan; just fact. So yes; there are many who care and will bypass this offering. This is just another neat Apple toy in my opinion. Probably the main reason I never owned an iBook. I do appreciate DR. Micheal's suggestion comment about ext DVD burner though.

Fair point, my blog does suck. It has something to do with the fact I don't really care about it - just trying stuff out. Plus it made me a reasonable amount of money via adsense (somehow).

On the point in hand, I was merely annoyed at people who say 'no sale here'. As opposed to those who say (as you did in your reply) this is needed by some people and I can see that it may lead to a loss in sales to that particular group.

Ultra-light portables are fantastic, though in my opinion Sony has this market sewn up - I have one from 2001 (for £65) which is still amazing, usuable and weighs about the same as my ipod (poetic license)

Dr.Michael
May 19, 2006, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Macola

I have found an answer to this:
Look here: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...87#post2984587

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by loebjack
We just received some of the new MacBooks and of course wanted to take one apart. Here are some pictures of the inside of Apple's new iBook replacement. It is much easer to take apart than any other Apple laptop and the hard drive comes out with less effort then the RAM.

Pictures here

Can you remove the heat sink/pipe and post photos of how much thermal goop is under there?

jeebus
May 19, 2006, 05:33 PM

No profit for Apple this time around.
I think that even if you don't buy one Apple is still going to make a profit off these machines.

WayzataXC05
May 19, 2006, 08:53 PM

Why are there sooooo many posts about the Macbook in the macbook pro/powerbook thread? SHouldn't they be in the macbook/ibook section?
Powerbook G4 1.5 ghz, 1gb ram, 64 VRAM----5G Ipod and a Shuffle

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2006, 09:01 PM

For one thing, the MacBook appears to be taking the place of the 12" PowerBook. For another, the MacBooks are powerful enough to give the Pro machines a run for their money, which you couldn't really say about iBooks/PowerBooks. So I guess it's natural that there be some overlap, at least at the beginning.

By the way, no offense, but I don't think listing every peripheral you own is really necessary, and I think it goes over the amount of text you're supposed to have in your signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules