Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Imaging a Mac

Imaging a Mac
yoshi68
Oct 11, 2000, 08:14 PM

Hello,

We do a lot of software testing on the Mac, and I am looking for a way to image the hard disk on an iMac so that we can restore the system to a prior state before testing began.

What I've been trying to do is image the Hard disk and then use that to reload the previous environment. However, I"m finding that it's not quite working the way I want it to. when I restore the image, I get an icon on the desktop that contains the image's system folder, installed applications, extensions, etc. The desktop get's all the old icons placed there from the image as well. The only problem is that the Hard Disk icon is still there and it contains the current system. So in effect, I have two system folders, two sets of extensions, etc - one under the Hard disk icon and another in the hard disk image. I can run all the programs contains in the image icon and that's good. But what I really want is to return the system back to it's original state, as recorded in the disk image - in effect replacing the hard disk icon, system folder, extensions, etc. with the one contained in the image.

Is there anyway to do this? I administer a small network of 8 Macs and it's very important that we have the flexibility to turn back the clock so to speak and reload the original evironment so that we can rerun a certain process or rerun a troubleshooting process.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2000, 10:00 PM

could you copy the image to the hard drive or have it on some sort of external media and boot the machine off a CD? that way you could just replace the inactive system folder on the hard drive with the one from the image.

-r.

Rick F
Oct 13, 2000, 10:48 AM

That's what I do. I have my "G4 Master Image" on a separate external drive. If I hose my the system (which I do quite a bit with experimentation) I can do a very easy restore very quickly via CD bootup and drag-and-drop of the System Folder to my main drive.....very easy, much easier than Wintel World, particularly since the mirror includes my apps already registered, etc. so I can be up and running in under 5 minutes.

God Bless Macs.

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2000, 10:53 AM

There is a product called Rewind from Power On Software www.poweronsoftware.com that allows you to revert to a previous system. Go to their page for more information.

Forum Links
Forum Rules