Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > South Park mocks Steve Irwin Death

South Park mocks Steve Irwin Death
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 01:07 PM

Frankly this is not very funny. Bad taste. This demonstrates how to post-modern style of humour in South Park (and elsewhere) can easily devolve into nihilism.

Novelty and "shock" do not equal clever humour. This isn't creative, this isn't pushing any limits, it isn't ironic, and it doesn't deconstruct anything about Irwin or his fans. All it does is indicate how Parker and Stone are having to find lame ways to chase ratings in the post-peak era of their (otherwise impressive) careers.

Oh my god, South Park mocks Irwin | the Daily Mail

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 01:08 PM

Completely tasteless. Comedy = tragedy + time. Definitely not enough time.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 01:12 PM

Gotta say, I usually have no problem with them but this seems too early and out of line in general.

On a side note, this is exactly what my friend is going as for halloween, and I laughed my ass off when he told me.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 01:14 PM

So South Park is inappropriate but your friend dressing up as Irwin is not?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
So South Park is inappropriate but your friend dressing up as Irwin is not?
It's a good question and I've been pondering it.

I think the main point is my friend is not a internationally broadcast (and syndicated) show.

Also, I find the concept of him dressing up as Steve Irwin funny. Actually seeing it won't make it any funnier for me.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 01:18 PM

Is any of the humor that South Park engages in in good taste? Stone and Parker have been pushing the unacceptable limit for a long time.

No it's not funny, it never has been because all of the jokes are really about someone somewhere. It's just until they find the particular thing that is offensive to you that you speak up (not you specifically kerrigan, the general you). It was funny to a lot of folks when they were making fun of Christ, because a lot of people didn't care about Christ. It was funny to Isaac Hayes until they decided to pick on something that was important to him.

It probably would've been funny about Steve Irwin if they did something about him before he died, but now it's inappropriate.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 01:22 PM

I understand what Dakar was saying. I chuckled when I read that too. It isn't hypocritical though, because the public forum is distinct from people's private activities (such as dressing up as Steve Irwin).

We experience emotional connections to public figures, and that sentiment is in turn reflected in public. People came to like Irwin through television, people mourned his loss through a televised funeral, people reflect on his life when watching reruns. The same goes for any other TV star or public figure for whom the public develops and affection. Case in point: the outpouring of affection for Lennon or Princess Diana.

So the emotional sensitivity of an adored public figure's death should not be violated or betrayed by a popular television show until, as Gossamer said, ample time has passed. If this seems inherently hypocritical, then perhaps you don't fully understand the genuine emotional attachment people develop for other people via TV.

In private though, people seem to "switch" over to a different set of attachments. Suddenly, Irwin is a foreign, unknown, abstract figure who is by no means above mockery.

Double standard? No. Just different standards.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 01:24 PM

Well that is south park.

What is the normal buffer when things go from tragic to funny?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Pierre Capretz II
Oct 27, 2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar� View Post
It's a good question and I've been pondering it.

I think the main point is my friend is not a internationally broadcast (and syndicated) show.

Also, I find the concept of him dressing up as Steve Irwin funny. Actually seeing it won't make it any funnier for me.
It's the display itself that makes it shameful, not the amount of those exposed to the shameful act.

Maybe you should go as Ray Charles.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pierre Capretz II View Post
It's the display itslef that makes it shameful, not the amount of those exposed to the shameful act.
It's insensitive and offensive.

It's also such an egregious joke it appeals to my sense of humor. The important part is knowing where to do it. No one will be offended at the party I'll be at. I'm not so impressed with it I feel the need to broadcast it.

Edit: Dressing up as Ray Charles is offensive to people?

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
What is the normal buffer when things go from tragic to funny?
Who knows.

I remember a while back I made a crack about the possibility of the space shuttle burning up. It was in very bad taste and nobody found it amusing at all. So apparently there is a buffer which goes both forward and backward in time, even around tragedies which never happen. Hmm..

Rumor
Oct 27, 2006, 01:34 PM

I can see Parker and Stone issuing an apology. I generally enjoy South Park poking fun at people, but this isn't correct.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 01:39 PM

Sorry but i laughed.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 01:40 PM

Honestly I think it is funny just because it is obvious BUT it is too soon.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 01:41 PM

I haven't seen the episode, but I understand the feelings of those who are offended. But is it any worse than those on TV who were slamming Steve Irwin the day of and the days following his death? On National TV there were "talking heads" that went on a tirade against him. Sure, it wasn't "making fun" of him, but it was still disrespecting the dead just like South Park is doing here. I didn't see any stories about these Irwin Bashers on CNN's front page then, yet I see a story about South Park on it now.

South Park is an easy scapegoat. They put themselves in a position to be a scapegoat, but most of the time its unwarranted. Most of the time they are doing nothing worse/better than the many people on those national news shows, op-ed shows, etc that criticize the very same people that South Park pokes fun at. But because these people are on supposedly respectable "news" shows they don't get put under the same microscope as the "immature" cartoon that South Park is.

I think one of South Parks greatest achievements is showing everyone how ridiculous we all are. The double standards that goes on in the media and public opinions in this country is laughable and something to make fun of. South Park not only pokes direct fun at that, but does it in a way that sort of doubles-back on the whole thing and makes people confront that notion directly, even if they don't realize it.

In short, disrespecting Steve Irwin's life and death in a public form was being done mere hours after his death. So South Park doing the same thing is not newsworthy. And the fact that people are raising a stink about it is laughable.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
...the fact that people are raising a stink about it is laughable.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 01:45 PM

I remember when South Park was funny.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
In short, disrespecting Steve Irwin's life and death in a public form was being done mere hours after his death. So South Park doing the same thing is not newsworthy. And the fact that people are raising a stink about it is laughable.
I agree with your reasoning for the most part. In addition, it indicates how shallow we are for raising such a stink about a guy we had a completely superficial attachment to. Seriously, how many people cared about the details of Irwin's life while he was alive? Anyway, I admit that I thought it was humorous when I saw it.

As far as the friend wearing a costume. To me, if I was offended by what South Park did, the friend would be more offensive to me. I don't hold TV to a higher moral standard than I do my own friends. Similarly, Cartman can dress up like a Nazi and say all sorts of crazy things, but I would never tolerate a friend of mine playing around in a Hitler costume.
( Last edited by itai195; Oct 27, 2006 at 02:00 PM. )

Rumor
Oct 27, 2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I remember when South Park was funny.
This episode is hilarious.

YouTube - Southpark Season 10 Episode 8 Part 1
YouTube - Southpark Season 10 Episode 8 Part 2
YouTube - Southpark Season 10 Episode 8 Part 3

kick52
Baninated
Oct 27, 2006, 01:49 PM

a bit sick really

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2006, 01:54 PM

i dont mind it. i think its actually pretty funny.

when it comes to death, i'm all for people making the best out a situation. steve irwin used to make people laugh and smile, so why not continue his legacy like that? i think its perfectly fine. the ones that were made hours after his death were the bad ones...
blah

andi*pandi
Oct 27, 2006, 01:58 PM

what made it funny is Satan telling Steve (who he thought was just someone dressed up as Steve) that it was too soon, not funny. Then Satan after Steve says it's really him, not a sick costume, kicks him out for not having a costume.

the comments in the article that his kids could see the show and be upset--this isn't spongebob, and anyone under 12 should definitely not be watching.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 01:59 PM

Okay, so I just watched the part about Irwin...the point of the joke was that it was too soon for that joke.
edit: I am slow.

Rumor
Oct 27, 2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
what made it funny is Satan telling Steve (who he thought was just someone dressed up as Steve) that it was too soon, not funny. Then Satan after Steve says it's really him, not a sick costume, kicks him out for not having a costume.

the comments in the article that his kids could see the show and be upset--this isn't spongebob, and anyone under 12 should definitely not be watching.
****, most people under 18 shouldn't watch South Park.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 02:03 PM

Complaining about South Park being in poor taste is so 1990s. Where have you been?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Pierre Capretz II
Oct 27, 2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
It's insensitive and offensive.

It's also such an egregious joke it appeals to my sense of humor. The important part is knowing where to do it. No one will be offended at the party I'll be at. I'm not so impressed with it I feel the need to broadcast it.

Edit: Dressing up as Ray Charles is offensive to people?
Ok. I get where you are coming from. Thanks for elaborating.

JansaNova
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 05:04 PM

I typically find South Park to be funny, but yes...this was not cool at all.

It reminds me of the following that came only days after Irwin's death:
glumbert.com | Steve Irwin fights a sting ray

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
****, most people under 18 shouldn't watch South Park.
"The following program contains coarse language and due to its content it should not be viewed by anyone".

Gotta say, I was deeply saddened by Steve's death and was extremely pissed off when the usual suspects (you know who I mean) came out to start pointing fingers at the guy.

But I laughed at that South Park gag and didn't find it the least bit disrespectful. Steve would probably have laughed his titties off at it too.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2006, 05:26 PM

IMHO, it's in poor taste, but they have the right to show it.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 05:42 PM

Not offensive at all? :/
we don't have time to stop for gas

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 05:55 PM

Ok, so let's bump this in 6 months and then we can all laugh about it

-t

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 06:03 PM

Firstly, those who haven't seen the episode, watch it, then comment. You may not change your opinion, but at least see it in context.

Secondly, the B-plot of the episode was John Wayne Gacy, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Ted Bundy cast as the 3 Stooges (similar to the Osama/Looney Tunes episode)--mass murderers who've touched more lives more brutally than the sting ray--and there's an uproar over Steve Irwin?
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 06:06 PM

Oh, and the Acura cake was hilarious.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 06:14 PM

"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2006, 06:29 PM

Eh, I thought the Steve joke was funny in context. I suppose I can see why some would be offended but, eh, its South Park. The episode in general sucked though.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 06:31 PM

I enjoyed it, but they could've milked the Sweet 16 stuff a little more. I hate those brats

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2006, 08:39 PM

The whole joke was that it was too soon to have a Steve Irwin joke on South Park.

Jees. Some people have no sense of humor. I agree that Irwin himself probably would have found this funny.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 08:49 PM

what the hell'd you expect? they've been ripping on him for years...

RGB
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
The whole joke was that it was too soon to have a Steve Irwin joke on South Park.

Jees. Some people have no sense of humor. I agree that Irwin himself probably would have found this funny.
Finally, someone gets it.

They weren't mocking Steve Irwin's death, they were mocking common notions of "good taste" about when it's funny to joke about death.

And this isn't out of left field for them - one past episode showed the kids watching Steve's show as he showed the beauty of nature by sticking his thumb up crocodile's butts and "really pissing them off." Another episode showed Russel Crowe in a very crocodile hunter-like format picking fights with people.

And in the episode, "Jared has aids," the episode concluded with the people of South Park determining that it was officially okay to laugh at AIDs because enough time had passed.

Personally, I thought the Steve Irwin bit was a hilarious part of the episode. But I'm also not a whiny little bitch who gets offended by the sun rising before I'm ready for it.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 10:20 PM

I have a terribly irreverent sense of humor. It is very hard to get me to cringe in response to something that most would deem offensive. This one made me go "too soon". That being said, when i head about Irwin's death, I thought to myself, that is what happens. I just thought he would die of a snake bite or a an alligator eating him or something. Irwin dying from a stingray is not wuite how I expected him to go.

BTW: As long as South Park exists, it will create controversy. Controversy leads to discussion and news coverage. Discussion and news coverage leads to viewership (sometimes). That leads to advertising money. Advertising money allows South Park to exist. Then, the cycle repeats until it is broken somewhere.

hayesk
Oct 28, 2006, 10:03 AM

People's view of what is tasteless with regard to death is skewed by the media.

South Park's portray is probably a bit too soon as the family, who may find out about it, would still be mourning. But honestly, I couldn't care less about other people who fabricate emotional attachments to celebrities they've never met. Honestly, I don't know Steve Irwin personally, but I enjoyed his televisions shows. His death is no more tragic to me than the homeless guy who got stabbed downtown last month.

A hallowe'en costume of Steve Irwin is pretty funny because it satirizes the media's notion that we should all feel worse for celebrity deaths, and the Irwin family is not likely to see this person. The ability for the person to recognize the topical event and satirize it is what makes the costume funny. Nobody is thinking "Ha ha! Steve Irwin got killed by a fish."

The same goes for the Space Shuttle accident. Seven people died. I feel bad for them and their families just like I would for strangers who die in car accidents every day. But the Space Shuttle accident is no more tragic to me than a car accident.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
But the Space Shuttle accident is no more tragic to me than a car accident.
With regards to the shuttle, seven people died in service to their country and their fellow man. It is a reminder that they have been working in service to all of us, despite knowing that their lives were at risk in doing so.

If you're going to try to equalize death in general, think about this for a minute: 3000 people died in the WTC, yet 7000 die in this country every day (on average, so each day likely varies a bit). Worldwide, the daily numbers are far higher (don't act like American deaths are more important than others). So, really, it was a marginally bad day in terms of people dying.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2006, 11:33 AM

I have no problem with this. Irwin took stupid risks, for no other reason than shock value and attention, that eventually led to his death.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 12:22 PM

The picture of a crappily animated Steve Irwin with a stingray hanging out of his chest really made me chuckle. So I'm an insensitive ass hat.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 28, 2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
Is any of the humor that South Park engages in in good taste? Stone and Parker have been pushing the unacceptable limit for a long time.

No it's not funny, it never has been because all of the jokes are really about someone somewhere. It's just until they find the particular thing that is offensive to you that you speak up (not you specifically kerrigan, the general you). It was funny to a lot of folks when they were making fun of Christ, because a lot of people didn't care about Christ. It was funny to Isaac Hayes until they decided to pick on something that was important to him.

It probably would've been funny about Steve Irwin if they did something about him before he died, but now it's inappropriate.

Having said that, I don't mind their bashings. They don't single anyone out, and are not "one sided"

I call them equal opportunity offenders.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 28, 2006, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
\
If that is the case. that is ironic.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2006, 11:16 PM

I found it to be a very funny, and ironic, joke.

Plus we all die eventually. Death sucks. People just don't like being reminded about their own mortality.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2006, 01:47 AM

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2006, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
IMHO, it's in poor taste, but they have the right to show it.
This just in: all of South Park is in bad taste.
I find it humorous that so many people have gotten their collective panties in a bind over this. With all the socially reprehensible behavior showcased on South Park, people get all worked up over Steve Irwin? Seriously?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuadG5Man View Post
I expected something funny, or at least offensive...

What I got was a really bad Australian accent.

Forum Links
Forum Rules