Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes SUX !!!!!!

iTunes SUX !!!!!!
zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2001, 09:13 AM

#1: No Uninstall and this thing puts a bunch of stuff all over the place.
#2: No Equalizer. WTF??
#3: No feedback link on the iTunes page.

Took a good 10 minutes to find all the junk and drag it to the trash. Thank heavens for installer logs.

Less features than SoundJam 2.5.1, which I have already PAID for.

Nice try Apple, now FIX IT.

Joey
Jan 10, 2001, 10:13 AM

Welcome to the world of first releases.

patpro
Jan 10, 2001, 10:25 AM

How lucky you are, on french system iTunes just seems to screw up all the machine : feedback is NOT GOOD at all. Some users are no longer able to boot, neither on HD nor on CDROM (norton, MacOS... they all faill), last chance : boot on a secondary partition or zap PRAM.
nice iPieceOfCrap that iTunes

macmicke
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2001, 10:47 AM

I can understand the frustration when you lack a eq. And the dumb install with lot of files. But I must say I kind of like it anyway. And most of all it has a free!! mp3 codec...
That must be something.
It has worked like a charm on my machines....
Allthough Im certain some problems will arise since it is a version 1.0
The real MacMicke�

DM2k1
Jan 10, 2001, 12:15 PM

hopefully this hasn't already been answered, but iTunes does indeed have an equalizer. It is available in the status window (top center). There is a small toggle button (looks like the 'play' icon), which cycles through difgferent formats for the status window, one of which is an equalizer.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2001, 12:20 PM

Isn't that for display purposes only? Sure, it might show frequency triggers but I have not seen anyway to change them.

Darcy
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

SillyPooh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2001, 12:27 PM

How lucky you are, on french system iTunes just seems to screw up all the machine : feedback is NOT GOOD at all. Some users are no longer able to boot, neither on HD nor on CDROM (norton, MacOS... they all faill), last chance : boot on a secondary partition or zap PRAM.
Patpro, can other people than yourself confirm this? Any of your friends have the same problem? I have the french system so I'm kinda concerned too...

zac4mac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2001, 12:43 PM

DM2k1: If you're referring to what I think you are, it's not an equalizer, but a spectrum analyzer. One is a control(EQ) and the other is a display(SpecAn). I want control.

iTunes has almost all the functions of SoundJam(it should, it is a modified version). I realize it has more functionality than the free version of SoundJam, but I bought SJ in the first place, for the software EQ.

P7
Jan 10, 2001, 01:05 PM

It's nice how people are always so quick to complain ... this is a rushed version and first release... it's aimed towards new users who may not know where to go for such things... and it's FREE! You don't like it, don't use it... you're not out anything.

I haven't used it yet (aside from on a PBG4 at Macworld), but it looks like a pretty good app for its target audience, and not so bad for others, either.

[email protected]
Jan 10, 2001, 01:30 PM

Is the software mirrored anywhere?
I cant even get it to download. I am behind a firewall and using a proxy. I think it times out every time.

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2001, 02:09 PM

I feel the same way P7! It is unbelieveable what people expect from a FREE product as well as the first version. Sound Jam is better for now and anyway, I like the fact that I have already and it has more functions than the iTunes. That is why we have a mixed econaomy and competition. Some products are better than others and some improve over time. The "bitching"forum is down the hall to your right, ty!

Positive feed backs equate to possible resolutions...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 10, 2001, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
Is the software mirrored anywhere?
I cant even get it to download. I am behind a firewall and using a proxy. I think it times out every time.
Get it through your iDisk -> Software -> Apple Software.

As for whether it sucks or not...I'm a long-time user of SoundJam, and I must admit that iTunes has a marvelous interface, but that it hides a LOT of its functionality. For example, you can open multiple playlist windows - just double click on its name. I like the fact that iTunes doesn't clutter my screen as much, and its search function is sorely missing from SoundJam (and I don't mean the type-a-few-letters-and-it-jumps-to-a-song thing).

tooki

[email protected]
Jan 10, 2001, 03:23 PM

idisk doesnt work behind a firewall. sadness i will keep trying

Grape
Jan 10, 2001, 06:04 PM

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patpro,
I have the french version of OS 9.0.4 and iTunes works perfect. It's rather strange that it "screws up your machine". I have no insights as to what should be done to get iTunes working in your machine, but the usual extensions conflict maybe the answer.
I looked around some french forums and iTools seems to be working fine for the most of us. I got this "cute" application yesterday and had no problems installing it. Have been enjoying it since and thanks apple for making it FREE
Salut

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jan 10, 2001, 07:09 PM

I like iTunes so far. The only drawback is that they are still working on CD-R drivers for older models, but heck, i like the fact I can use one program now to do all my MP3 music, encoding, decoding, ect. instead of using soundjam and then Toasting them to cd, actually I just use toaast to cd. Now if I only had that Superdrive

Besides, didn't apple "buy" Soundjam? At least that's what I heard.

------------------
- Eric
- Eric

Jan 10, 2001, 08:24 PM

I figure I will put in my two bits as a college student. I have to tell you that I was just a day or so away from paying for a decent MP3 player. I have always had a bit of contention for the fact that there is no decent free MP3 software out there for the Mac. My roommates enjoy WINAMP and I am left to fend with an older version of the free MACAMP and Audion. Needless to say I was so pleased that iTunes was free (gasp!) as well as a decent program. Let me tell you, I have WINAMP friends who were impressed with the fact that it was an all in one. In any case, iTunes will progress and become a better product simply due to the fact that it is free and will find support from cheap b@$tiches like me.

zac4mac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2001, 09:06 PM

I realize that iTunes is free, and very much worth that price. What bothers me, is that last week this same app was known as SoundJam, which many of us paid 40 bucks for. I also realize Apple rushed this "first rev" to be ready for MWSF, and will surely grow in features with time.

The biggest problems I have with iTunes are the lack of an Uninstaller and the lack of a feedback link back to Apple.

How will Apple find out there are problems if we can't tell 'em so?

Hopefully, somebody there reads these posts... keep this one near the top for a day or two.

RubberDuckyDude
Jan 10, 2001, 09:17 PM

it aint broke, so dont fix it. be happy, it was free and fast, what did you xpect? besides, getting pissed doesnt help nething. have a coke and have a smile.

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2001, 10:55 PM

iTunes is a great program. Only thing bothering me about it is it keeps ending some of my songs before the actual stopping time. It's very frustrating. It only does it on a few songs and they are larger than 5 minutes. Anyone know how/where to get more visuals?!

------------------
Think different.
--------------------
"I'm so afraid, the way I feel. Days when the rain and the sun are gone. Black as night. Agony's torn at my heart too long. So afraid, slip and I fall and I die..." - Lindsey Buckingham
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Archangel
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2001, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
I figure I will put in my two bits as a college student. I have to tell you that I was just a day or so away from paying for a decent MP3 player. I have always had a bit of contention for the fact that there is no decent free MP3 software out there for the Mac. My roommates enjoy WINAMP and I am left to fend with an older version of the free MACAMP and Audion. Needless to say I was so pleased that iTunes was free (gasp!) as well as a decent program. Let me tell you, I have WINAMP friends who were impressed with the fact that it was an all in one. In any case, iTunes will progress and become a better product simply due to the fact that it is free and will find support from cheap b@$tiches like me.
Couldn't have said it much better myself. This is great for cheap college students who wanted something for free! I like it!

------------------
"Elvis has left the building!"

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2001, 11:47 PM

I've been using iTunes for the past Day since I DL'd it form Apple Yesterday. My only gripe about it so far is that like others there is no Equalizer. Other than that everyone needs to remember that this is only version 1.0. The interface is nice I like the visual it is pretty nice. I'm sure there will be more visuals for it down the road. I like how iTunes minimizes so it is out of your way. It sounds pretty good to me on my decent set of speakers, even on digital speakers I tried at CompUsa on one of there floor machines. One of my only other gripes about iTunes is that when switching to and from the visual is slower than in Sound Jam and it also stops the music too for split second. Other than that it for a Free Player and encoder iTunes is extremely good. Remember that this is only version 1.0 I;m sure it will get better in the next incarnations of the app. on a scale of 1-10 i would give it an 8.5.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Curious George
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2001, 12:57 AM

Yeah, well, I like it. By the way...have any of y'all used the Visualizer? It's freakin' AWEsome! I just got through listening to Hotel California with a Full Screen Visualization and it was wonderfully psychedlic and neat.

Don't mind me. I'm just easily amused.

Yes, I know it has no equalizer; but it's free and it's the first version.

dw
Jan 11, 2001, 01:32 AM

I think iTunes is INCREDIBLE software for free. I've been using it for quite a few hours now and am very impressed with it. I never shelled out any $$ for soundjam so this is a big step up from using soundapp to play all my mp3s. I've even found it a remarkable tool for transferring just the right amount of music to my MD player as well. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. Did I mention that I really like this free program???? Naysayers, go back to your soundjam, of course it's better you had to pay $25 for it. I'll stick to the freebie that works great for me.

RubberDuckyDude
Jan 11, 2001, 01:52 AM

if u dont like it, calm down and have some dip. dl GRAYAmp. i used it a long time. i dont know what the site is, but its free and good. so stop complaining/ and if u dont: want some cheese with that whine?

babywriter
Jan 11, 2001, 02:54 AM

I just downloaded iTunes....I'm a real newbie at ripping MP3s, and from a beginners point of view, iTunes is excellent. Really straightforward interface, quick and painless. I'm really enjoying myself - and I like the idea of having my favorite songs on the iBook, to listen to while I work. So for me, iTunes is a real winner.

noliv
Senior User
Jan 11, 2001, 04:29 AM

No EQ ?? I prefer no EQ than SoundJam's EQ... SoundJam's EQ sucks...
Maybe Apple will write a good EQ in version 1.x or 2, who knows ?

Now that Apple has a good mp3 encoder (I have audion2 and I won't use iTune while it's not better), I hope that it (the encoder) will be included in the quicktime codecs...

Now I must say that that a free player/encoder made in Apple rocks!

noliv

[This message has been edited by noliv (edited 01-11-2001).]
-noliv

macmicke
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2001, 05:53 AM

About the files installed by iTunes, well if you sort your files in the extensions manager by product, iTunes fiels shows up as a group witch you can turn on or off. And I must say that iTunes is growing on me fast. I havent had one problem. And I have installed it on a lot of machines.....
Go Apple
The real MacMicke�

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2001, 08:47 AM

I can very well understand why registered users are upset (if it's true that Apple bought SoundJam, or did they only get permission to base their program upon it?) - many of it's features are missing ...

I think it's a cool program anyway.

Heimir.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2001, 09:58 AM

iTunes is growing on me as well. I used it all day yesterday and I love it. Anyway about the equalizer I was thinking that I didn't really use it in SoundJam anyway and I used to set it on Automatic. So I guess my first reaction was incorrect. You are free to use what you want, I may still continue to use SoundJam as well. Patiently waiting for Apple to make it compatible with my QUE! so I can burn my MP3's right to it.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

g4-guy
Jan 11, 2001, 01:26 PM

Hmmmm...

Looks like you gotta either love it or hate it. I guess I would be in the "love it" crowd. I've never used any other MP3 player, though (only QT Player) so I guess I don't know. I think the visualization feature is way cool. I was lucky to get through to the download site Wednesday morning on my PC at work, transfer it to my Zip disk, and install on my G4 at home. I also saw it on my iDisk.

------------------
Regards,
g4-guy
PowerBook G4/800
Mac OS X 10.2.8
512MB RAM/40GB HD
Combo Drive, Airport Card

suprz
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2001, 01:38 PM

a friend of mine downloaded itunes, and he said that it doesnt have any bass or treble controls. what's up with that? even QT4 has base and treble..it that true, itunes has not bass or treble controls?

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Wingz
Jan 11, 2001, 02:51 PM

Just throwing my vote in here to say I think iTunes is a really nice piece of software. And to pass along a minor problem I had with it and the fix. After installing it I would get a type 2 error every time I tried to run it. Traced the problem to an extension. Removed the extension and all is well. The extension is CD-Rom SpeedTools. (Never needed that thing anyway) Hope this may help someone having a similar problem.

starrman
Jan 11, 2001, 07:08 PM

I agree that no EQ is big problem in an MP3 player. One other feature that I am desperately missing is the ease of use of the converter. Maybe I'm using it wrong, but in order to convert an existing mp3 to an aiff file you need to find the original file on the hard drive, and convert single files at a time. I think until they get those two features, which I use constantly, I'm sticking to SoundJam. I'm also wondering if there will be more updates to SoundJam from this point on. Hmmm

Forum Links
Forum Rules