Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My MBP Strange behavior?

My MBP Strange behavior?
Peligro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2006, 01:01 AM

Hello,

I bought my first laptop and also my first mac back in March this year. I have fallen head over toe in love with it and also apple.

Its 2 ghz intel duo i have 2 GB of ram with 10.4.8

I have issues with this thing every so often. First the freezing I thought that it had something to do with iTunes because whenever I would bring it to work it would not make it past 5 seconds in any song. I would try to force quit but I would have to be quick to pull force quit up other wise that would freeze up too! This wasn't so frequent at first but when it decided not to work it would just not work!
Now the freezes happen more often and it is no longer happening in iTunes is is happening in anything. Yesterday it happened when I stopped the screensaver.

Should I be concerned? Am I expecting too much from it due to the hype of stability and whatnot?

How often do you guys see that beach ball? How often do you guys "Hard Restart"?

Peligro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2006, 05:28 AM

Guys! I know you have some thoughts...Don't be afraid to give your opinions. Please!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2006, 02:00 PM

check your ram...sounds faulty.

to hard shut down just hold the power button down for 5 sec.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Peligro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2006, 01:21 PM

Thanks!

I did check it. My sys profiler says its okay. Is that what you mean? I bought my extra stick of Crucial (I think) from New egg. Should I replace the apple ram with the same ram stick I bought?

I also just realized that I qualify for the whole battery replacment thing. I knew about this when it happened I have been ignorant and didn't look into it completely. Like I said, all these freezes and what not have been really bugging me.
Do you think that this may have something to do with it?

hldan
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Peligro View Post
Thanks!

I did check it. My sys profiler says its okay. Is that what you mean? I bought my extra stick of Crucial (I think) from New egg. Should I replace the apple ram with the same ram stick I bought?

I also just realized that I qualify for the whole battery replacment thing. I knew about this when it happened I have been ignorant and didn't look into it completely. Like I said, all these freezes and what not have been really bugging me.
Do you think that this may have something to do with it?
If you may have issues with the ram the way to check it is to pull out one of the sticks. Take out the ram you bought from Crucial and use the only the factory installed stick. If you no longer have the factory ram or if both sticks in your Mac are from Crucial then pull out one of the sticks and run iTunes to death (meaning launch it, quit it, run the visualizer, switch songs rapidly) to see if it freezes. If it does then switch out one of the chips until it runs fine. This way you can tell which chip may be bad.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Forum Links
Forum Rules