Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Small Amount of Water on Mouse - Mobo Fried...

Small Amount of Water on Mouse - Mobo Fried...
Rex32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2009, 12:47 PM

Hey Guys,

EDIT: I'm reading the sticky now guys, I'll see if I can find all the info I need there. I'd still really appreciate any input you guys might have...

My buddies girlfriend is having a pretty serious problem with her Macbook. A cat knocked over a glass of water and a small amount of the water got on the mouse of her computer. She did not shut it off right away and instead tried connecting a USB Keyboard/Mouse - which worked at first, but then that stopped working as well. She then left it off all night (not in the desired A shape though) and now it won't turn on/charge/anything.

She took the laptop to Apple and they said she needs to have the motherboard/logic board replaced... Now they want $900 to do this - the computer is nearly 3 years old and is simply not worth that much. Can I source a new motherboard online (ebay perhaps?) and swap it in myself? I'm pretty tech savy, I build my own PC's and what not - just never done a Mac before.

From my little research that I have done, I have found that I need a specific motherboard to work with a certain Macbook - how can I figure out exactly which one I need?

As for the data, Apple says the HDD is fine so I am going to order an external 2.5" SATA USB enclosure and put her HDD in that to recover and backup her data before messing with the motherboard...

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Mike
( Last edited by Rex32; Oct 19, 2009 at 01:08 PM. )

ibook_steve
Oct 19, 2009, 01:47 PM

Please post in the sticky. You'll get all your replies there.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules