Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I have an interview on thursday, need some help, totally lied.

I have an interview on thursday, need some help, totally lied. (Page 4)
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2010, 06:07 PM

You’re griping over a job due to a 30 minute commute? I drive close to an hour each way in Los Angeles freeway traffic 5 days a week for my teaching job.

It’s ether a) he doesn’t want to show he cares for the job and drive; or b) doesn’t want to get outed somehow about his lying on the résumé

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 11, 2010, 06:09 PM

Valuing your time enough that you don't want to waste a decent portion of you life each week commuting is quite sane.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2010, 06:10 PM

When my dad lived in Washington, he had an hour to drive (each way) and then three hours to fly to get to work. Suck it up.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 11, 2010, 06:14 PM

Why should anyone care what your Dad did?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2010, 06:19 PM

Because if my Dad has patience for it, everyone should.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2010, 06:20 PM

The payoff, dakar, should be worth the time spent driving, if not; then get another job; or find, if possible, a place closer to the work. Life, for a normal person, is all about sacrifices.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 11, 2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
The payoff, dakar, should be worth the time spent driving, if not; then get another job; or find, if possible, a place closer to the work. Life, for a normal person, is all about sacrifices.
My point exactly. If he's rather get a lesser job closer to home, who gives a shit. That's a sacrifice as well.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2010, 08:19 PM

I sit on the bus for 40 minutes a day, and my city is sub-100k.

30 minute drive isn't bad.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2010, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
My point exactly. If he's rather get a lesser job closer to home, who gives a shit. That's a sacrifice as well.
I’m sure Rob would “give a sht” because he’s in a lesser job, then the one he could of had if he decided to say screw it to the 30 minute drive, and say I’ll do it. Oh dear! he has to deal with possible manual, SUV and hummer drivers. OH THE HORROR. If he doesn’t want to do the drive, then he never cared for the job that he lied on his resume about in the first place.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2010, 12:59 AM

Or he could suck it up, get a car with an automatic transmission, and make the drive. Maybe he'll discover the virtues of the slushbox...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2010, 01:18 AM

The longer the drive to work, the more exciting it is with a manual...

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2010, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Maybe where you live. Where I live, errr....not so much. Not when you rarely get out of 2nd gear. Did it for 15 years, and my left foot got tired. LOVE my slushbox!

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Feb 12, 2010, 01:38 AM

Well, til then I'm freelancing at a design consultancy that I really enjoy. Lots of product design from all sorts of different places, great people, and about $300 a day.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 12, 2010, 08:49 AM

$300/day ain't shabby.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 12, 2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
$300/day ain't shabby.
Eh...count me underwhelmed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2010, 11:00 AM

Because if my Dad has patience for it, everyone should.
Assuming you're not exaggerating, your father wasting a third of a day commuting is not to be admired, its to be pitied.

I’m sure Rob would “give a sht” because he’s in a lesser job, then the one he could of had if he decided to say screw it to the 30 minute drive, and say I’ll do it. Oh dear! he has to deal with possible manual, SUV and hummer drivers. OH THE HORROR. If he doesn’t want to do the drive, then he never cared for the job that he lied on his resume about in the first place.
The quality of the job has to scale to the commute. Now reply and repeat yourself a third time.

Yeah, a manual is so much fun in stop or go traffic or holding that constant 70 - 80 MPH on a highway. I'm getting an adrenaline rush just thinking about it.

paul w
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
The main problem (if Rob could get the job) would be getting past the fact that almost no financial institution in Europe will now touch Americans (this is a direct result of the IRS fishing expeditions of late - see Swiss UBS scandal for example). Mate of mine needed a French bridging loan recently and the form was basically full of "you're not American, are you?", "your wife isn't American either, is she?", "your employer's not American, are they?"... ...it wasn't far off "you've never spoken to or befriended an American, have you?". I ain't kidding.
And no bank account equals no apartment rental.
This is anecdotal or just plain false. If you are a legal resident ( and have either a salaried position or a bunch of money) you can get a bank account, a loan or whatever. I know Americans in France who do just this. I myself still have a French bank account, despite being all American and stuff. A collegue of mine is American, and just bought a flat outside of Paris with the help of a loan from a French bank.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 12:30 PM

Can borrow your apartment? I promise I won't mess it up.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
This is anecdotal or just plain false. If you are a legal resident ( and have either a salaried position or a bunch of money) you can get a bank account, a loan or whatever. I know Americans in France who do just this. I myself still have a French bank account, despite being all American and stuff. A collegue of mine is American, and just bought a flat outside of Paris with the help of a loan from a French bank.
You can do it if you're already established in the country. Becoming established is where it bites you. I'm guessing that all of said Americans you know have been there for some time?

Oh, and the being kicked isn't hitting France just yet because France doesn't have banking secrecy. Which Austria does, and since Rob is on about Austria and all...
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 01:19 PM

American Citizen Services - Establishing Residence in Austria

Employment by non-Austrians is generally discouraged and no one other than an Austrian national may accept a position here without first obtaining a work permit. Work permits are difficult to obtain and are usually granted only to persons qualified to fill posts in specialized fields for which Austrian nationals or other EU-nationals are not available.
Forget about Vienna, Rob. You've got no chance.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2010, 01:22 PM

I have no idea how it works in Austria, but in the United States that language means that a lot of the time you can manage to hire foreigners because it's easy to argue, in creative fields, that the person you are trying to hire is a unique snowflake.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I have no idea how it works in Austria, but in the United States that language means that a lot of the time you can manage to hire foreigners because it's easy to argue, in creative fields, that the person you are trying to hire is a unique snowflake.
Don't forget that foreign language skills in Europe are much better than in the US.

Most Europeans speaks some English, many are really good at it. So knowledge of English language is much less a reason to hire a foreigner in Europe than (as an example) German skills needed in the US.

-t

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Don't forget that foreign language skills in Europe are much better than in the US.

Most Europeans speaks some English, many are really good at it. So knowledge of English language is much less a reason to hire a foreigner in Europe than (as an example) German skills needed in the US.

-t
I meant "that language" that Doofy quoted, not language skills as justification for hiring someone.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 12, 2010, 01:41 PM

-t

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 01:43 PM

Unless Rob is coming out with severely unique ideas and work, they'd have to prove that nobody in the EU has the combination of factors which would allow them to take the job. Usually requires that the employer advertise the job in the EU for six months before considering "foreigners".

Interestingly, it's the same with music venues in the US. Unless it's a major unique act, a venue has to prove that it can't find a US artiste to fill the slot before letting a foreign act play it. Quite a few mid-range British bands have fallen foul of this policy in the past.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post

-t

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Interestingly, it's the same with music venues in the US. Unless it's a major unique act, a venue has to prove that it can't find a US artiste to fill the slot before letting a foreign act play it. Quite a few mid-range British bands have fallen foul of this policy in the past.
Are you sure it isn't just because your bands are horrible? Maybe they are just trying to let you down easy and blame the system so they won't have to hurt your feelings.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 01:53 PM

Are you sure it isn't just because your bands are horrible?
Yes, I'm sure.

Have a /slap.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2010, 02:04 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 02:20 PM

seriously? That's insane.

paul w
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2010, 02:44 PM

You can do it if you're already established in the country. Becoming established is where it bites you. I'm guessing that all of said Americans you know have been there for some time?
No, not necessarily. I myself was not "established" in France when I obtained said visa, bank account, etc. Things have changed a bit, but believe me there are plenty of Americans doing all sorts of banking, residing, working all over Europe.

And I can't comment on Austria, but I'd listen to what the employer has to say on the matter, not someone spouting negative hearsay on an internet forum.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
seriously? That's insane.
Yep. Going back to the late 80s, IIRC. You're OK once you've got a few albums under your belt but no chance before that.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 02:56 PM

No, not necessarily. I myself was not "established" in France when I obtained said visa, bank account, etc.
And this was in the last year? No. Thought not.

Things have changed a bit, but believe me there are plenty of Americans doing all sorts of banking, residing, working all over Europe.
Things are changing rapidly as a result of OECD-driven tax information sharing treaties and the EU locking its borders down since Lisbon and the credit crunch. Yes, there's plenty of Americans already working and living in Europe, but the possibility of newbs moving to Europe is diminishing.

And I can't comment on Austria, but I'd listen to what the employer has to say on the matter, not someone spouting negative hearsay on an internet forum.
Yep. Don't believe anything negative which anyone on any Internet forum tells you.
I mean, what? You think I'm making this stuff up off the top of my head?

paul w
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2010, 03:13 PM

I never accused you of making anything up. I've heard the same thing* in France and other countries years ago, so it's nothing new, and depends how rigorously it's implemented. You are correct in that immigration in Europe is becoming more difficult. My experience is that things aren't as cut and dry (and simplified) as you state.

*only to persons qualified to fill posts in specialized fields for which Austrian nationals or other EU-nationals are not available.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2010, 04:08 PM

My experience is that things aren't as cut and dry (and simplified) as you state.
They never are. But I'm not going to go into every variable on an Internet forum.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2010, 06:05 PM

Assuming you're not exaggerating, your father wasting a third of a day commuting is not to be admired, its to be pitied.
Did I say otherwise?

You're acting like a grumpy pensioner these days.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2010, 06:24 PM

Did I say otherwise?
You implied that it was a great act.

If you want me to know what you mean, be a little more clear, son.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2010, 06:26 PM

The point I was trying to make is that 30 minutes isn't a terribly long distance to drive to get to work... lots of people commute at least that far.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2010, 06:38 PM

Citing something as "lots of people do it" probably isn't the best way to win over downinflames, adversary of the masses.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2010, 06:40 PM

For the record, my commute is 45 minutes, even though it's greased with pork fat (and this week, ice).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2010, 06:46 PM

Citing something as "lots of people do it" probably isn't the best way to win over downinflames, adversary of the masses.
Well, lots of people "do it," and he still does.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Feb 12, 2010, 09:24 PM

I never lied on my resume. I just lied that I was totally familiar with some equipment I only used a few times, and never set up. Sorry for the confusion, I probably didn't explain it right.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Feb 12, 2010, 09:27 PM

Yeah, I'm sure pay like that is very common in.... Iowa?

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Feb 12, 2010, 09:36 PM

Doof: Appreciate your input most of the time, but your experience doesn't really apply in this case. Design world is small. People get around, if they are good.

Also, are you saying I'm not unique?!? I'm in shock.

Buffy Summers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2010, 04:06 AM

Guy can't stand a 30 minute commute ??

Speaks volumes about his beloved Audi.

the scapegoat

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Buffy Summers View Post
Guy can't stand a 30 minute commute ??

Speaks volumes about his beloved Audi.

-1, Troll

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Yeah, I'm sure pay like that is very common in.... Iowa?
Remind me again how this is relevant to the conversation. Also, $300/day after taxes, health insurance, retirement, SS, etc. is NOT very much. Not too far off the median income in Iowa, since that figure appears to matter to you for some reason.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 13, 2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
$300/day ain't shabby.
I didn't say it was going to get you into Fortune 500's billionaires club, but it can pay modest bills and allow for some savings too. My son has been getting by on that much A WEEK.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2010, 08:39 AM

At 252 business days in a calendar year, $300 a day comes out to over $75,000 in annual pre-tax income.

I'd say that's pretty damn good, especially if you're not supporting anyone else on your income.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2010, 08:50 AM

Someone should explain the concept of "freelancing" to you peeps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules