Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Video over network-replace monitor

Video over network-replace monitor
yukon
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2002, 03:05 AM

The crt of my Classic cracked. Its discharged and removed. Now, there is no monitor. It still works though. There are essentially no options for replacing the CRT nor are there external monitor abilities (without rare hardware).

I need this Classic usable. I can run and install software blind. What I need is something that will send the video over a network. In other words, mirror the video of the Classic over a network, onto the monitor of a powermac.

Thanks
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2002, 03:22 AM

Maybe VNC or Timbuktu for 68K if they still make it or if you can find an old copy?

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2002, 03:31 AM

Classics are going for $30-$40 on eBay these days. Color Classics about $70.

How about just transferring your hard drive over into one of these units?

Also, this guy claims to have some 9" CRTs http://www.users.qwest.net/~jgarbacz/68kparts.html

drewman

[ 03-17-2002: Message edited by: drewman ]

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Mar 17, 2002, 12:00 PM

yea i would suggest just yanking the harddrive. its a standard scsi, so u can hook it up to most any other mac and suck all your files off of it.

as for running remote control software, i dont think any supports os 7.1 or lower. plus you only have localtalk... which is ass-slow.
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

yukon  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2002, 01:04 PM

yeah, I copied the hard drive onto my G4. I was thinking of selling it stripped, or maybe parts on ebay. I'd have some extra replacement parts that way.

But it drives me nuts that it boots fine. If there is any software that will let me see the screen, that would be perfect. AFAIK timbuktu was just admin software.
[img]broken link[/img]

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2002, 02:38 PM

TB2 is more about remote screen sharing than administration. It doesn't have any installer ability, just a file copier. TB2 would be perfect.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2002, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
<STRONG>TB2 is more about remote screen sharing than administration. It doesn't have any installer ability, just a file copier. TB2 would be perfect.</STRONG>
I'm not sure what you mean by no installer ability, but you can install software, etc. just as if you were sitting down at the machine. There is a "look" mode where you can see what is on the remote monitor, a "control" mode where you can control the mouse, and type on your keyboard as if you were sitting at the remote machine, and a file exchanger, chat, intercom, and a few other features that I don't use.

yukon  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2002, 03:26 PM

TB2 has a look mode? rockin, thats probably it. I'll try it.. What version should I use? I know of one 68k version, but it's to run on a classic (68000 cpu) with 2mb ram. Thanks a lot!
[img]broken link[/img]

bluedog
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2002, 06:07 PM

I've tried this with not great results. Seems like the oldest versions of timbuktu that runs on modern hardware doesn't talk that well with the newest version that will run on a 68000. You can get it to work and connect, but it randomly hangs up.

If you get some versions working, please let me know. I've been interested in using an MacSE as a controller for other machines in my house.

yukon  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2002, 08:02 PM

ok, I have timbuktu 1.0.5 here. I've never used this software before, but getting it set up properly is the main idea.

Right now, my idea is to set up a quick system, network, and timbuktu install in vmac. All it neads is a little more effort, time, and getting it to recognise any kind of disk image.

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: yukon ]
[img]broken link[/img]

Forum Links
Forum Rules