Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > how do I remove the stock HD from my beige G3 desktop?!!

how do I remove the stock HD from my beige G3 desktop?!!
yuliang
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2001, 03:59 PM

I just got a brand new spanking 40GB Maxtor HD for my desktop beige G3, only to find out that the plastic bracket that holds the hard drive in place is so tightly secured to the metal case that I can't find a way to remove it or get to the screws?!!! Can anyone help?
Anthony Wu
- - - - - - - - - -
Titanium PowerBook G4/550 - X 10.2
Beige PowerMac G3/500 - X 10.1
HP 751n P4/1.8GHz - XP Pro SP1

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2001, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by yuliang:
<STRONG>I just got a brand new spanking 40GB Maxtor HD for my desktop beige G3, only to find out that the plastic bracket that holds the hard drive in place is so tightly secured to the metal case that I can't find a way to remove it or get to the screws?!!! Can anyone help?</STRONG>
I haven't done it in a while, and I don't have one around that I can look at, but I'm fairly certain that the drive sled will slide out somewhat like the metal sleds in the G3 towers. Sorry I can't give you any more specific information, but as I said, it's been a while since I've been inside a beige G3 desktop. Hope this helps.

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2001, 07:31 PM

This article describes how to change the hard drive in a Beige G3 mini-tower, but I believe the drive assembly is similar in the desktop version. Check it out to see if it will help.

http://www.accelerateyourmac.com/G3-ZONE/IDE/
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

cgwcgw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2001, 01:06 PM

Yup, the original ATE drive is on a sled. I just took one out of a DT G3 a couple weeks ago. The sled itself rides on plastic runners permanently fixed to the bottom of the case. (Of course if you bought a SCSI HD you need to connect it to the SCSI internal cable, which is easier to do if you put the HD in the spare drive bay under the ZIP bay instead of on the case bottom)

Originally posted by nonhuman:
<STRONG>

I haven't done it in a while, and I don't have one around that I can look at, but I'm fairly certain that the drive sled will slide out somewhat like the metal sleds in the G3 towers. Sorry I can't give you any more specific information, but as I said, it's been a while since I've been inside a beige G3 desktop. Hope this helps.</STRONG>

Forum Links
Forum Rules