Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office 2008

Office 2008
Nassifer
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2008, 10:10 PM

Hello, I just got done installing Office 2008 and all the updates, so I want to use word now, well I click on the icon and all that comes up is the setup, then the auto updater. I go through all of them, and then it say there is no updates, and I click the x to exit, then word will not open, I can not even start the program, excel the same way, all are. Help me here, I can not even use the programs.

Abdi

Nivag
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 10:40 AM

Use or create a second user account and see if it has the same problem.

What OS are you running and what version of Word is listed when you do a Get Info on the application?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 11:07 AM

Not helpful, but nice venting:

Office 2008 is terrible

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2008, 11:20 AM

MS are preventing you from feeling sad for them by stopping you from finding out just how utterly **** their software is. Count yourself lucky that you can't run Office 2008 - the most dismal bit of programming on the Mac since, oh, Office 2004. If you can, get a refund. Seriously.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2008, 05:25 PM

Pages all teh way, yes i said teh....
Pages FTW
MPB 2.8GHz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD
2TB Raid 1 setup, Wacom 12x19, 24" ACD, Bose SS
FCS 2, Shake, Adobe CS4, Lightroom > Aperture

jretzner
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2008, 12:28 AM

I already have the Student version of Office 2008 installed, but just purchased Office 208 Expression Media. How do install the latter? Does it install over (thus eliminating the Student version), or do another entire installation? If it is the latter, can I erase the Student version w/o eliminating things like address files for Entourage? Thanks.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2008, 01:36 AM

You've got a compromised serial number.

Give Microsoft a quick call to see if you can't get that cleared up.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2008, 12:26 PM

My understanding is your can download updates directly from the MS site as some versions of Office 2008 are unable to detect an update is in fact available. That would be my first step.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2008, 02:05 AM

I would uninstall , reinstall and do not update.. try running it. If it works install updates and run it.

Cold Warrior
Dec 22, 2008, 12:13 PM

There is a Remove Office application in Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Additional Tools/

Run it to uninstall Office 2008 then install the version you want (Express Media edition I assume). Before running Word or anything else, download all Office 2008 updates directly from MS's site (not by running the updater program). I see two Office 2008 updates on their update page: Service Pack 1 and 12.1.5.

I've seen Office 2008 apps fail to open on certain versions of OS X if Office 2008 is not fully updated before even attempting to open the application.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2008, 12:52 PM

I've gotten stuck in the auto-update/no updates available loop before. It's maddening. I finally just uninstalled Office 2008 completely (as Cold Warrior has suggested) and reinstalled and everything was ok. Never figured what was wrong with the original installation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules