Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 68k systems

68k systems
Aussie John
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2001, 06:46 PM

Just a couple of quick questions

What is that most recent OS that will run on a 68k Mac (quadra650)?
Also is it available from apple as a download?

Thanks
John

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2001, 07:43 PM

8.0 was the last 68k OS, 7.5.5 is the latest you can get from apple

Jonnie13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2001, 10:30 PM

Actually it is 8.1 (and worth the bug fixes). I have an old Centris that runs 8.1. If you install just make sure you initialize your disk as HFS and NOT HFS+! There are still plenty of unopened OS 8.1 retail copies out there. Check eBay. 7.6.x was a good version and may be a little zippier on your machine, although not as pretty as the Copeland style 8-8.1.

TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Jul 12, 2001, 01:54 PM

I saw 8.1 running on a Quadra at my old college and it was actually pretty smooth - I thought it'd be choking along on a processor like that - it could even get on the internet

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: TheGreatButcher ]

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2001, 07:53 PM

One of my four Macs is a Centris 660AV using 8.1 - rock solid.

Used it on the internet for six months with a Global Village 56k
v.90 modem.

WDL

ekserb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2001, 09:28 PM

I was running 8.1 on a Quadra 840AV (fastest of the 68K Macs!) for the past eight years. I finally upgraded when Apple introduced this sweet new iBook, and I'm very pleased. But I'll tell you what ... that ole' Quadra was running and doing just about everything I asked of it for the entire time I owned it, and I defy anyone to show me a PC that can still operate after almost a decade of use.

Anyhow, 8.1 was the latest OS that will still operate on a 68K machine. Of course, you knew that already.
Do ... or do not. There is no try. --Yoda

sbheifetz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2001, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Aussie John:
<STRONG>Just a couple of quick questions

What is that most recent OS that will run on a 68k Mac (quadra650)?
Also is it available from apple as a download?

Thanks</STRONG>
I have a powebook model 160 with a 68030 processor. for that system the latest OS I can install is 7.6.1. and it is not available as a upgrade.

loudpedal
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2001, 12:46 PM

Check out http://www.info.apple.com/support/ol...warelist.html. The system software is 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down the page. I saw System Software 7.5 and other updaters in the list. I may have missed 7.6.
"When the light turns green, get off the brakes and stand on the loudpedal!"

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2001, 02:12 PM

I think I was using System 7.5.5 on my Mac Plus maxed out with 4 megs of RAM. Nice! Even ran Photoshop 2.0 LE, ClarisWorks 2 and MacWeb 2.0. Zip drive plugged in as my system disk... it was cool!

Now that Mac Plus has been in storage with a friend for six years... and I don't know what shape it's in these days.

I even had one of those Kensington fans that fit on the top.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

<anonymous>
Aug 1, 2001, 10:07 AM

Veering off topic somewhat, can 68k only programs run on a PPC (Power Mac)?

finboy
Aug 1, 2001, 10:51 AM

Sure, but they run in emulated mode, which is MUCH SLOWER than native PPC software. Basically, the early PPC machines had to emulate a 680x0 in ROM, very slow.

7.6 isn't available for free, yet, but 7.5.3 is and the update to 7.5.5 is a really really good idea. The update from 7.6 to 7.6.1 is available as a download, and it's really worthwhile.

Places like nexcomp.com have the 7.6 CD for sale, and then you can download the update from Apple. The update is especially necessary for 68k machines, since there were several extensions/enablers which were incomplete when the retail version of 7.6 was issued (oops).

OS 8.1 runs great on my Quadra 650 (with lots RAM), but not so fast on my 5300 powerbook. I run 7.6.1 on most of my old machines. With a PB 160, I'd try to find the necessary files to run 7.1, since that machine tops out at 14M RAM and it's really hard to put a later OS in RAM and still have headroom for applications. Plus, you can replace HD with smaller ones when you need to, and use the machine as a basic word processor for years to come. An 80M HD does great with OS 7.1 and a word processing package, and maybe AOL 3.0 if you have a modem, and the 80M HD are still cheap and plentiful (SCSI 2.5" hard drives are somewhat hard to come by these days).

Milio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2001, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by &lt;anonymous&gt;:
<STRONG>Veering off topic somewhat, can 68k only programs run on a PPC (Power Mac)?</STRONG>
Yep. I've got one that I still use with a creator date of 1984.

Forum Links
Forum Rules