Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Boot from Ext. Firewire HD in X

Boot from Ext. Firewire HD in X
awcopus
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 02:30 AM

I would be very appreciative if somebody would confirm based on their real-world experience that it is possible to boot up a PowerMac off of an external Firewire drive running OS X 10.1.1.

Using what drive by whom?

I am waiting (24 hours) to hear from La Cie about this. They're one of the few manufacturers listing compatibility with X, but they have yet to indicate whether their drives can be used for booting in X. Also waiting to hear from QPS.

Intuitively, I suspect that Apple's Firewire support would be second to none, and I've booted up machines from external Firewire drives running OS 9. X, of course, changes everything.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2001, 08:32 AM

Works great with my Maxtor 40 gig. Not sure of the model no, but it's about 8 months old.

It's maybe a tad slower, but not enought to be worrisome-- there's just a longer delay between chime and startup.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 09:27 AM

Chris, thanks!

Does your drive run silently? I have a totally fanless network of Macs and am interested in using a fanless solution!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2001, 02:23 PM

It's fanless, but not exactly silent. You may want to do some research on which ext. drives are the quietest. I wouldn't reccommend the Maxtor solely on basis on noise. It's substantially louder than the IBM Deskstar that's the internal drive on my Cube.

You could buy a Deskstar or Seagate Barracuda (both of which get high points for being quiet) and put one in an external Firewire enclosure. But again, there you'd have to ask around about whether the enclosures will allow you to boot into OS X. I'm not sure, myself.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 03:51 PM

Chris,

Thanks again. Apparently the La Cie uses a Seagate mechanism, but has a substantial fan. La Cie claims that the fan extends the life of their drive.

Meanwhile, QPS offers a fanless drive mechanism (still looking for what exactly it is) and says that the extra heat will not adversely affect the life of its drive.

NEITHER LA CIE NOR QPS have provided a direct answer to the question of being able to boot up off their drives in OS X 10.1.1.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2001, 05:41 PM

I put a Quantum Fireball 20 GB/5400 RPM drive in one of those FireWire enclosures and it mounted right away and showed up in the Start Up Disk control panel in OS X. I didn't boot to it, but if its there it will boot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules