Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > cannot mount windows formatted cds

cannot mount windows formatted cds
you_are_right
Jan 5, 2002, 09:46 AM

i am running os 9.2.2, but my cube won�t mount a windows formatted cd (i think it is fat32). I reinstalled the system software from 9.04, over 9.1 to 9.2.1 and 9.2.2, but still no success. I think the extension that i am missing is the "foreign file access". Anybody knows where I can get it from ? I looked with the tomb viewer on my installation cds, but it is nowhere to be found.

Can anybody help ?

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2002, 01:51 PM

If you want the extension, I put it up on my iDisk.

you_are_right  (op)
Jan 5, 2002, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
<STRONG>If you want the extension, I put it up on my iDisk.</STRONG>
Thanks I downloaded it.

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2002, 12:21 PM

Maybe this is a stupid question,but what does that extension do exactly?
I tried some movies,burned on a MS machine last week,but couldn't open them.(couldn't read this disk message)
Would this extension be of any help??

Imac 400 dv,0s 9.2.2.
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

Raman
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2002, 01:01 PM

I think the CD's were burned in Joliet mode. (There's no such thing as FAT32 for CD's).

There are many formats to burn cd's in. ISO9660 is the most common one and most, if not all, operating systems can read it.

To use long file names, you burn the CD with Joliet File System. You need the Joliet file system extension so your mac can recognize the format (this is different than "foreign file extension").

Also, if you burned an .AVI on a PC, you have to have software that can play that type of file on the mac. Moreover, if a particular piece of software doesn't associate itself with a file type (this is done by looking at the extension ".avi" then you can't just double-click the file to open it - you hve to open the program that can read the file, then tell it to open your movie file.

Forum Links
Forum Rules