Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > ethernet/AAUI on a PM8500

ethernet/AAUI on a PM8500
zac4mac
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2000, 04:18 PM

I am wondering if I can daisy chain a second Mac on my ethernet(to a DSL modem) by using both the ethernet and AAUI connectors on my 8500. I have been connected thru the modular jack on the back and just now stuck a transceiver in the AAUI connector and it is working. The plan is to hook the 8500 to the modem and plug a second Mac in the open ethernet connector... Will it work? If not, how can I hook both machines up at the same time?

The Wolfe
Sep 15, 2000, 05:46 PM

You will in essance be setting up your 8500 as a router; to route the DSL connection across one network to another (the second Mac). You can do this, but if you are just connecting to a single computer from the AAUI port without the use of a hub or switch, be sure and use a cross over cable - not a regular patch cable.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2000, 12:37 PM

On the apple machines with both types of ports, both ports connect to the same NIC. Using both at the same time would cause your mac to function improperly. It would be easiest to get a small enet hub and a router (hardware or software.) Hardware routers are easier to set up and run stand-alone, while a software router needs to run on one of the computers.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2000, 02:35 AM

In the Cat5 physical description two systems are allowed per segment (i.e. two computers on the same Cat 5 cable hooked to one port on the hub.

Having said this, I believe that Apple setup those ports so one excludes the other with the AAUI port taking precedence.

drewman

poemtree
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2000, 03:12 PM

I do this on my 7500/400 using a Farallon Etherwave AAUI transceiver like so,

7500 AAUI � Etherwave � Duo Dock w/2300c
|
Cable Modem

I do not use a router, because I have two static IPs.

poemtree
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2000, 03:14 PM

Ok I was worried about that...

The little diagram I drew did not line up properly. The pipe and the Cable Modem should be beneath the Etherwave, not the 7500 AAUI.

Sorry...

poemtree
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2000, 03:22 PM

Duo Dock
|
Etherwave�7500 AAUI
|
Cable Modem

That's better...

Forum Links
Forum Rules