Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard Upgrade Questions

Leopard Upgrade Questions
bbqhog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2008, 06:27 AM

I am thinking about upgrading the OS on my MacBook Pro (2.3GHz, 3GB RAM) from Tiger to Leopard. I am very happy with Tiger - extremely stable, no crashes, but would like to have some of the new features in Leopard and think it makes sense to have the most current OS.

If I upgrade by choosing "Archive and Install" and I chose "Preserve Users and Network Settings," will all of my Safari bookmarks, contact info, iTunes songs, printer settings, Airport info etc. remain intact?

Will my 3rd Party software function properly (MS Office, Acrobat 8, Photoshop CS3, function normally?

Are the stability issues I have read about in earlier threads about Leopard resolved with all of the subsequent updates that I assume I will have to download after the basic install or am I looking for trouble here?

Thanks in advance!

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2008, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by bbqhog View Post
If I upgrade by choosing "Archive and Install" and I chose "Preserve Users and Network Settings," will all of my Safari bookmarks, contact info, iTunes songs, printer settings, Airport info etc. remain intact?
Yes.
Will my 3rd Party software function properly (MS Office, Acrobat 8, Photoshop CS3, function normally?
Yes.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2008, 06:57 AM

The only thing I lost in my upgrade was my printer. A quick visit to HP's website and all was good. Just remember that an upgrade is a bit of a work out for your hard drive. Make sure you have a backup!

REVBCO
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
...Make sure you have a backup!
I 2nd that...Just in case
2.33 White iMac | 2GB Ram | 500GB HD
2.2 BlackBook | 2GB Ram | 120GB HD
16GB Touch | 80GB Classic | 10GB Classic | 8GB Pink | 40GB Apple TV

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 28, 2008, 02:53 PM

I myself liked Tiger a lot but I can't live without Spaces. I'm so use to being on Linux and having the capability of multiple desktops. I love Tiger for it's Shapeshifter capability but I need spaces. I also like the way Finder's layout is in Leopard as well.

All of 3rd Party applications ran fine after an Archive and Install. The only problem I encountered is Photoshop. I ran into this error:

"One or more files in Adobe Application Support folder, necessary for running Photoshop, are missing. Please run the Photoshop installer and re-install Photoshop."

I have yet to re-install Photoshop. It works for now but I definitely intend on re-installing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules