Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Mac Pro dual ethernet question

Mac Pro dual ethernet question
Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2009, 08:41 PM

I read somewhere in a thread too old to bump up that with a Mac Pro a network connection can be shared from one port to another.

I'm a the end of the line of two different networks. Network A has a plotter that I need to be able to plot to, via ethernet. Network B has an internet connection 2 1/2 time faster than Network A's connection.

Can I tell the network somehow to keep the local network at A but share Network B's internet connection to Network A?

TIA

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2009, 10:28 PM

Thats using 2 ports for 1 network its using 2 ports for 2 networks, Have you tried hooking them both up at the same time.

Timo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2009, 02:24 AM

Yeah. Setting service order determines which network I see. Can't seem to figure out how to see both.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2009, 07:40 PM

The issue is having multiple internet routes on network A would have annoying side effects. If you can sever the other internet route, I'd go for it (just turn on Internet Sharing for the appropriate interface).

Camelot
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2009, 01:51 AM

> Network A has a plotter that I need to be able to plot to, via ethernet. Network B has an internet connection 2 1/2 time faster than Network A's connection.

Are you the only person who needs to print to this plotter? or are you trying to share that plotter to other clients on Network B?

If you're the only user, there's no issue at all. You'll need to make sure network A and B use different subnets, but other than that this should just work. Make sure that Network B is listed first in System Preferences -> Network and that Network A does NOT have a router address set. Done.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules