Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Should I convert to RTF or Word (older version)? Undecided...

Should I convert to RTF or Word (older version)? Undecided...
HamSandwich
Aug 3, 2012, 11:45 PM

Hey,
hope it's ok to ask something like this here... I'm in a bit of trouble, trying to convert old documents to a newer format. I found an okay way I think which, after all, works for batch conversions. However, for the moment, the only formats offered to me are RTF (Mac version of that it says, I think) and Word (98, later entitled in Leopard 97-2004, hmm). I just wonder how to judge things: I'm switching to Mountain Lion and Office 2011 from older versions and I suppose Office 2011 could still open these older Word documents; I was often encouraged as regarding Office as being very compatible among itself (Mac<->PC, and older versions with each other, e.g. Office 2004 can still open everything it gets).
1. When I convert to Word, I have read Office 2011 can use Automator to convert any Word documents to PDF, so that would be a format for a long time to come and probably no loss of formatting from Word->PDF.
2. Converting to RTF, I wonder how good this format really is, Wikipedia says while the format is ok, it is already disbandoned by MS. True? Reliable? Isn't this still the TextEdit format? (And is Pages really using something proprietary, btw?)

So, I checked already and there is minor change in formatting which is ok for me, at least I can keep all the documents readable. I'm not sure about the Word->PDF conversion and I wonder if RTF is a good idea for the future.

Any thoughts?

Trying, thanks,
Pete

SVass
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2012, 05:09 AM

I suggest remaining compatible with the rest of the world and saving in the Word 97-2000 format. Otherwise, I suggest using NeoOffice which can open/save in many formats.
sam

HamSandwich
Aug 8, 2012, 01:13 PM

Hey,

I eventually went for RTF, although the answer was helpful, though.

I have another question anyway: Do I have to be worried in any way about RTF compatibility? I think the converter I used converted into an older version of RTF, is that alright? Will it be compatible forever? What's the difference between RTF versions? Thinking... Maybe someone knows something...

Thanks already!
Pete

Forum Links
Forum Rules