Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Back up app for ext. HD to ext. HD?

Back up app for ext. HD to ext. HD?
jprint714
Jan 2, 2014, 02:00 PM

Hi,

I've got various data/files backed up on external hard drives. Ideally, I'd like to be able to back up select data/files from a primary hard drive to another back up hard drive - through scheduled, incremental backups. What apps out there can accomplish this? I looked into Retrospect, but it seems to be a bit overkill for my purposes (and expensive). Any other suggestions? Thanks!

ibook_steve
Jan 2, 2014, 04:24 PM

Time Machine does this.

What I'm looking for is actually an extension of this: cloud backup of external drives. Since I've moved to my new rMBP, I've put all my music/games/photos on external drives. I have Carbonite, but unless you've got a PC and a premiere account, they don't back up external drives to the cloud.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

jprint714  (op)
Jan 2, 2014, 04:33 PM

I don't think so... I asked Apple and they said it would require a different app. Again, I'm just trying to back up select files and folders from one ext. drive onto another ext. hard drive.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2014, 05:11 PM

I used to do that (backup specific folders) through incremental backups, but either between internal hard drives or from internal to external drives. I would try:

Intego Backup Express (former Intego Backup Assistant which was tied to LaCie drives)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inte...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

If by any chance your external hard drives happen to be LaCie, you still can download the same app by another name at LaCie website, please note the free version works only with LaCie drives.
LaCie - Intego Backup Assistant

Also, SuperDuper!
SuperDuper!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2014, 05:40 PM

@ ibook_steve, Twin used to do that (review here.) I guess xTwin might do it as well, but it seems it's been discontinued.

ibook_steve
Jan 2, 2014, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by jprint714 View Post
I don't think so... I asked Apple and they said it would require a different app. Again, I'm just trying to back up select files and folders from one ext. drive onto another ext. hard drive.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Of course it works. Time Machine automatically backs up all disks unless you say otherwise under the Options button. If you want to back up select files/folders from the external disk, just exclude everything except those files/folders on the external disk.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2014, 07:57 PM

If you want to back up select folders/files from one external drive to another, an excellent tool that can do this and pretty much anything else you'd want (including bootable clones) is Chronosync, $40 from Econ Technologies. I've been a long-time user and its power and flexibility is pretty amazing. It has a stellar reputation among its users, download the trial and see if that will meet your needs. While I love Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper!, for the same price I'm using a far more powerful tool that gives me every option I could want in terms of syncing, cloning and backups, including remote options.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules