Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4/400 Sawtooth upgrade questions

G4/400 Sawtooth upgrade questions
tpitts1
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2002, 01:36 PM

I am looking to upgrade my G4/400 Sawtooth. I have 256Mb memory and a 16Mb ATI video card. I want to get the best price vs. performance, meaning I need to take in to consideration the hardware architecture before I go add a huge video card.

I am thinking of adding another 256Mb RAM and replacing my 16Mb card with a 32Mb video card. Will I see a considerable boost that will be worth keeping my machine anoter year? Any other thoughts, considerations, etc?

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 02:48 PM

Hi, i recently upgraded my g4/400 sawtooth. My advice:

Buy a stick of 512MB pc133 from http://www.18004memory.com/. That's around $50. I bought a gig, but i had less to start with than you. 512MB doesnt do OS X justice (I assume you are on it?), but 768 should do fine.

Second, buy a radeon 8500 LE (PC) and flash the ROM to mac. You can get that at banana PC-this one works well-http://www.bananapc.com/Products/product_info.asp?product_id=5297.

That's $82 and will give you Quark Extreme acceleration, plus a decent card that should last the lifetime of the machine.

With those two boosts my machine is noticably more responsive. I'm considering overclocking but I mostly work with PC where I can set the clock frequency and FSB by BIOS, and the thought of soldering just to overclock gives me quite a pause.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 04:00 PM

I'll have to agree with nvaughan3, everything he said is correct. Only, I would like to add one thing: You might wanna get more RAM, the more RAM you get the faster OS X feels.

Also, you only need the Radeon 8500 in case you're running Jaguar, it won't speed up anything but games on any previous OS. And if you're not playing any games, it won't do you any good.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 05:28 PM

My G4/400 has:

1.5 gigs of PC133 SDRAM
105 gigs of 7200 rpm hard drive space

An ATI Radeon 8500 64 meg video card

And: a colorful multi-LED fan!

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2002, 05:40 PM

Don't bother with PC133 RAM, stick to PC100 because that's the speed it's going to end up anyway. Just make sure it's Mac compatible, I bought some 133 from a local PC dealer and it didn't work at all. A quick trip to OWC for a guaranteed success is much better.

Having said that, I also have a flashed Radeon 8500, but it has problems with Jaguar and deep sleeping. I haven't had the time to sit down and troubleshoot it yet, but that's not a disrecommendation.

Personally, I don't see trying to upgrade the processor in my G4/400, I'll just sell it intact and buy a new machine when the time comes.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 05:40 PM

Wow, unfortulately I can't beat that. My PowerMac G4/350 AGP has 640MB of RAM, a 40GB Seagate Barracuda IV (7200rpm), a 32x Sony CD-RW, a nVidia GeForce2 MX, an internal Iomega Zip100 and a 17" miro LCD

I don't have the cool power supply, but don't have Bobby, the cool dog
( Last edited by D'Espice; Oct 4, 2002 at 05:45 PM. )
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
[B]Don't bother with PC133 RAM, stick to PC100 because that's the speed it's going to end up anyway. Just make sure it's Mac compatible, I bought some 133 from a local PC dealer and it didn't work at all. A quick trip to OWC for a guaranteed success is much better.

No, but you cant find PC100 much cheaper, so why not go pc133? The memory I referred to is guaranteed to work in the g4 and is pretty cheap as well.

bseely
Oct 4, 2002, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by nvaughan3:

No, but you cant find PC100 much cheaper, so why not go pc133? The memory I referred to is guaranteed to work in the g4 and is pretty cheap as well.
Get whatever is cheapest - the PC133 memory is just going to run at 100mhz when you put it in your Sawtooth anyway, so it really doesn't matter which one you get speedwise...

Forum Links
Forum Rules