Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Frozen Throne Beta

Frozen Throne Beta
zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2003, 05:00 PM

YES!!! I am a beta tester of Frozen Throne BABY!!!

Sorry, just had to brag!!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 06:09 PM

what's frozen throne?

xyber233
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 07:44 PM

Boo! I want to be picked .

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2003, 06:16 AM

you suck, I wanna play!
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2003, 06:44 AM

Curse you.

If it some how ended up in my inbox, I wouldn't tell anybody.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 02:24 PM

I got in too! I'm surprised how teeny tiny it is. I bet half of it is for the installer too.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2003, 02:28 PM

Damn you! Post some screenshots please

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Nebrie:
I got in too! I'm surprised how teeny tiny it is. I bet half of it is for the installer too.
The installer is small, but then when you connect to bnet it is a 60MB download. You should have known that from the e-mail they sent you. In fact, if you guess the web address, you can download the beta, you just need a serial number for it to work (NO, I will not give mine out)

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 03:53 PM

Yes screenshots and reactions please! I hear flamestrike is pretty effective . I can't wait to buy it. Any performance enhancements in os X yet? Oh yeah, damn those who got selected! Hehe.

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2003, 07:26 PM

Will you be allowed to post screenies? I"m guessing not.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2003, 12:20 AM

Not sure if they will let me. There is a guy from blizzard blizzard, rbarris I think is his name!
Hey rbarris, can I post screen shots???

This is a rock solid beta for me. No problems and I love the new units, but it changes the style of play, you can use your old strategies!!

That is all I can say for now!!

rbarris
Blizzard Staff
Mar 4, 2003, 02:40 AM

Read the EULA you agreed to carefully...

(I don't have any authority to tell you yay or nay on it. I would err on the side of caution at this time..)

Rob rbarris "at" blizzard.com

rbarris
Blizzard Staff
Mar 4, 2003, 07:40 PM

I checked with the producer and was told that static screen shots are OK, but that movies or sequences of screen shots depicting the animations are a no-no.

Based on that if you want to share a few screen shots, it sounds like there should be no problem. But the EULA has the final say, so I would ask you to go back and read that in detail before doing that.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 08:55 PM

Thanx for clearing that up. Anyways, this game looks sweet. I wish it were out already . Blizzard rules!!!!

phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 10:34 PM

ChaperonNoir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
sight...... I wanted to have this email TOOO BOOOOOO
With mass casters comes great responsabilty - Rifleman

xyber233
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 08:04 PM

Sweet! I got picked for the second batch . Too bad it only works in X . It is choppy as hell.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2003, 10:40 PM

How do they keep you from booting into OS 9 and playing it when you use the same application to run the game in both environments?

Or is the new app OS X-only? I can't imagine they'll be keeping THAT feature for the official launch...
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

rbarris
Blizzard Staff
Mar 11, 2003, 03:08 AM

The retail version will run on OS9 and OSX no problem. The decision to go X-only for the beta was driven by the observed percentage of users on battle.net playing on OSX vs OS9, and also to speed testing and shipment of the beta so we could be in sync with the PC team rather than being a week or two behind.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2003, 02:30 PM

Hmm...Frozen Throne seems a little faster than normal WC3 in X. I could be wrong though. rbarris, are the performance problems in X Apple's fault? Just curious.

poulh
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2003, 03:05 PM

completely off topic, but where did you get that cool calendar?

also what kind of computer are you running on?

redJag
Senior User
Mar 11, 2003, 09:19 PM

Looks to be a konfabulator widget, especially since K is running in the menu items.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2003, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by zeebe:
YES!!! I am a beta tester of Frozen Throne BABY!!!

Sorry, just had to brag!!
heheh. congrats. im also a beta. i havent played it much. actually let me friend use my account since he plays it more than me.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

rbarris
Blizzard Staff
Mar 12, 2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
Hmm...Frozen Throne seems a little faster than normal WC3 in X. I could be wrong though. rbarris, are the performance problems in X Apple's fault? Just curious.
WC3X has several new optimizations, some of these are in the graphics area, some are in the gameplay/simulation engine area. Some of them affect all processors, some only kick in on a G4. It's possible that you are noticing some results of these improvements.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 09:03 PM

Yes, it is the konfabulator widge. It really does nothing, except display the date and it looks nice on my desktop The "iTunes Bevel" widget is very cool though, try that out. I was running this on a 600 mhz iBook, but now that my iMac 800 is in from repairs, I'm playing frozen throne on that.

agent911
Mar 12, 2003, 09:59 PM

I AM DESPARATE for a Frozen Throne key.

Maybe someone who cant really use it too much cause of choppy play or anything, someone please let me try the game briefly.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by agent911:
I AM DESPARATE for a Frozen Throne key.

Maybe someone who cant really use it too much cause of choppy play or anything, someone please let me try the game briefly.
LOL. "Briefly"

Erchamion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2003, 09:03 PM

Well I have the beta, but I wish I didn't... It's the most frustrating thing ever. After getting 300 on there, when I connect to Bnet to download the next in the series of patches I get a kernel panic or unexpected quit after a few minutes of download from Bnet.

I just wish Blizzard put the patches available for download without the need to use Bnet, because the latter versions might not have the same issues.

Anyone know if someone has the mac beta patches available for download on the web? I'm sure third-party servers would be faster anyway than downloading from Bnet.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 09:32 PM

On the battle.net forums other people have had this problem. Maybe you could try stopping and resuming the download every once in a while.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2003, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Erchamion:
Well I have the beta, but I wish I didn't... It's the most frustrating thing ever. After getting 300 on there, when I connect to Bnet to download the next in the series of patches I get a kernel panic or unexpected quit after a few minutes of download from Bnet.

I just wish Blizzard put the patches available for download without the need to use Bnet, because the latter versions might not have the same issues.

Anyone know if someone has the mac beta patches available for download on the web? I'm sure third-party servers would be faster anyway than downloading from Bnet.
I have the exact same problem too and I did everything to avoid it but no luck.

I'd really like to play/test Frozen Throne but I guess I should wait till there is a fix

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2003, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
I have the exact same problem too and I did everything to avoid it but no luck.

I'd really like to play/test Frozen Throne but I guess I should wait till there is a fix
email blizzard and let them know you can't update.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Deicide
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2003, 01:59 PM

xyber233:

What is your Mac configuration? Is the curser still jumpy during battles? Even on my dual 1.25 G4, WC3 does not play good enough to be competitive on battle.net.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2003, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Deicide:
xyber233:

What is your Mac configuration? Is the curser still jumpy during battles? Even on my dual 1.25 G4, WC3 does not play good enough to be competitive on battle.net.
what is your GPU and how much RAM do you have? I have a 1Ghz and it runs just fine on bnet.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

xyber233
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2003, 04:23 PM

I have a 700mHz LCD iMac w/ 640mb of ram. At first I tried lowering the quality to get better framerates. However, I found out that it runs best on my computer at 1024*768*32. If you are having performance problems, I recommend turning off music. It speeds things up dramatically. I can actually play in X now.

Deicide
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2003, 03:29 PM

I also have an 800Mhz iMac with 768Mb of ram. I can't get away from the jerky mouse during battle no matter what settings I try. My 1.25 has the ATI 9000 pro and 1 GB ram. I have also tried every setting and the game plays the same no matter what. Every Mac I have tried(all models of tibooks, various desktops) has the same issue. Open up a new custom game with fog of war turned off. Then scroll the screen using the arrow keys or mouse. It will not be perfectly smooth. There will be slight pauses. The curser becomes jerky during large battles making it very difficult to click on units. Many of my other Mac using friends felt that it was pretty smooth on their macs but they never experienced it on a PC. They also thought the slow down in battle was normal until I showed them how it plays on a pc. even my 500Mhz celeron plays WC3 better then my dual 1.25Ghz Mac. I just hope that frozen throne actually fixes that.

Rabid Duck
Mar 29, 2003, 06:45 PM

[BEven on my dual 1.25 G4, WC3 does not play good enough to be competitive on battle.net. [/B]
Wc3x hasn't solved the slowdowns in battle or the jumpy scrolling, etc. Wc3 original runs much better in OS 9 as I'm sure you're all aware (albeit still with major slowdowns, especially during battles). However, Blizzard has disabled OS 9 compatibility for the Wc3x beta, so I'm not able to test OS 9 performance.

As I said in another thread, I'm not a framerate junkie-- I don't particularly care if the 3D models render quickly during battles or not. It's the mouse speed I'm most concerned about. If I could make selections and give orders in real-time, that would be great. Perhaps there's a way for blizzard to handle cursor refresh rate differently than the 3D graphics' refresh rate? Rob?

-RD

Deicide
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2003, 04:42 AM

Rabid Duck:

I feel the same way. I wouldn't mind the game animation slowing down just as long as moving the curser and issuing commands would always be real time.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2003, 04:19 AM

I feel the same way. I wouldn't mind the game animation slowing down just as long as moving the curser and issuing commands would always be real time.
Ditto.

Forum Links
Forum Rules