Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help with some headphone hunting

Help with some headphone hunting
SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 02:07 AM

So I have some decent speakers, but now I am in the market for some large but portable headphones to use with my ibook. I want the larger ones that cover your ear and I want ones that are foldable.

I know that there are a decent amount of audiophiles here so maybe someone can point me in the right direction in my search. I recently found these but I know nothing about them other than whats written in the short spec sheet. Again since I will be using them with a computer they do not need normal connections so usb is fine.

I don't need the best quality set (no 300 dollar noise cancelling bose things), I just need foldable ones that are about $50. Thanks in advance to those that know more about this than myself and post some useful comments.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 02:16 AM

Sennheiser HD-280 in black or silver. MSRP $219. Can be found for as little as $80. I've had mine for about 3 months. Fantastic sound. The sound out of them is almost as loud as the sound from my eMac's speakers -- when they are sitting on my desk. Sennheiser

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 02:25 AM

hmm, you had me worried for a second when you said they were as loud as your eMac. They look nice and are exactly what I am looking for too. The best price I see now (I obviously haven't looked too hard/long) is $57 at ecost but that's for a reconditioned pair. Does anyone think I should go for them now or wait and see what else can be found?

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
Sennheiser HD-280 in black or silver. MSRP $219. Can be found for as little as $80. I've had mine for about 3 months. Fantastic sound. The sound out of them is almost as loud as the sound from my eMac's speakers -- when they are sitting on my desk. Sennheiser
Great headphones. I bought a pair of cheaper Sennheiser's on eBay for $25. I suggest checking eBay out.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2004, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
Seconded. Got them, too.

-t

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 02:23 PM

after a bit of reading on them (mainly from the many amazon reviews) it seems that they are a bit small and that the plastic tends to crack when stressed. do you guys have these problems or am I only hearing about the bad cases, do you have a small head? I guess with a two year warranty its not so important but I want foldable ones because I am about to crack my old headband because its plastic and vulnerable and I don't want that to happen hear. thanks for the positive input.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by SSharon:
after a bit of reading on them (mainly from the many amazon reviews) it seems that they are a bit small and that the plastic tends to crack when stressed. do you guys have these problems or am I only hearing about the bad cases, do you have a small head? I guess with a two year warranty its not so important but I want foldable ones because I am about to crack my old headband because its plastic and vulnerable and I don't want that to happen hear. thanks for the positive input.
I've had the HD 280 Pro for about 2 years and the sound quality is very good. I recommend them too. They are not small. The plastic on my have cracked. I'll take a picture when I get home from work tonight so you can see.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 03:16 PM

I would also go with the HD-280's. An excellent set of headphones, especially if you can get a deal on them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a really good set of headphones that you can use while running or working out? The 280's aren't really made for that.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 04:50 PM

I have 212Pros for over a year now and I can't even listen to other headphones, they're so damn awesome.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...nsf/root/05180

The 280's look awesome, but the local shop here didn't have them when I looked, and I wanted to be sure they were comfortable.

Anyway, go Sennheiser, they're incredible.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 04:02 AM

Well I got the Sennheiser HD 280 pro and wanted to give everyone an update on them. I have been using them daily for about a month now and they are great. Thanks everyone for recommending them. Oh yea, and thank you girlfriend for buying them for me for my birthday since I asked for them. So if anyone else is in the market, take a look at these.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 01:13 AM

I have a set of the Sony MDR-v700Dj's I love em, but my ear pads are hard as a rock and the plastic on the swiveling/folding mechanism is broken on both sides and about to snap completely off... These headphones have AMAZING if not over the top bass response, I like it though.... I might just have to buy a pair of the Sennhisers though...

anyways, I came to this thread to add my experience about the sonys... but I may have become a sennheiser switcher in the process...

Zach
( Last edited by phantomdragonz; Feb 3, 2005 at 01:24 AM. )

i_rooster
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2005, 09:29 AM

I wish I could afford this

waky waky!

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 11:05 AM

Look into the Koss Porta Pros as well. They are very competative with the Sennheiser HD280's. Personally, I would go maximum portability and run with a pair of PX-150's or some other similar noise cancelling collapsable headphone.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

jlemons
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2005, 12:41 PM

I am with you i_rooster. I just got back from a conference in Florida where I took a few Apple classes. Apple handed everyone a new pair of the bose and they are awesome. Too bad they took them back at the end of the class.

ender2002
Senior User
Feb 3, 2005, 12:46 PM

PX100's
review ****

these have awesome quality, foldable, case, great price. absolutely perfect.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 12:51 PM

Yet another happy HD-280 owner here! I got mine on ebay for cheeep!

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by ender2002:

PX100's
review ****

these have awesome quality, foldable, case, great price. absolutely perfect.
I have a pair... pretty good but I would prefer a closed type. They blow my dad's $50 Sony headphones away, but don't hold a candle to the 280's or my multimedia setup (Klipsch...).

osxpinot
Senior User
Feb 4, 2005, 12:17 AM

PX-200, I love them.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2005, 12:22 AM

The best value, bar none, is a pair of KOSS headphones. I've got a pair of PortaPros, but have also tried the models which cover the ears. Impressive sound, good price, and *lifetime warranty*. Google for headphone reviews and you'll find a lot of happy KOSS customers.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2005, 12:25 AM

For lots and lots of opinions, head over to www.head-fi.org. Unless you want to stay solvent.

hayesk
Feb 4, 2005, 01:11 AM

- Beyer Dynamic DT231
or
- Grado Labs SR60
or
- Sennheiser HD280

Atriot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 02:09 AM

Koss Porta Pro (Great Sound Quality for a decent price)
Sony MDR V6 (Different from the V600, these are the industry standard)
Grado Labs Sr80 or Sr125 (An incredible open ear headphone)

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2005, 03:18 AM

I've been contemplating a purchase of the Grado SR60 or SR80 myself, though I don't use headphones at home that often. The audio quality at that price is hard to beat. I'm just trying to justify the money for a pair of Shure e3c buds for my iPod

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 12:48 PM

The gradeo SR60's arn't that spectacular, IMHO. Grado is known for its high end stuff; its consumer stuff is good, but not necessarily better than anybody else's stuff. I'd say Koss PortaPros are the best sub-$100ish headphone. The PX200's are just too damn harsh on the high end and lack any sort of meaningful low and mid range response. The clarity and definition is outstanding, but the sound just doesn't isn't balanced and by the time the mids come in enough, the highs are uncomfortable. Amazing power though.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 08:22 PM

The Senn hd-280s are now on sale for $80. Snap 'em up if you need a pair.

http://dealmac.com/articles/82444.html

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by i_rooster:
I wish I could afford this

http://www.bose.com/images/home_ente...p_qc2_l_na.jpg[/img]

http://www.bose.com/images/home_ente...s/main_qc2.jpg[/img]
Those are awesome, very well worth the money. Especially while travelling

Krypton
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by osxpinot:
PX-200, I love them.
I'm going to treat myself to some of those, but all my favourite stockists don't have any px200s currently and Amazon seems to have labelled them discontinued...

I second the Head-Fi recommendation - but don't get sucked in!. Those guys will try and convince you that you need to spend as much as possible

Forum Links
Forum Rules