Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can Time Machine be used for extra drives?

Can Time Machine be used for extra drives?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2010, 04:44 AM

I have a Mac Pro and currently have two drives in it, a system drive that's using as the startup disc and for most of my use. The 2nd drive is more like a server drive which is used on that system but also shared with all computers on my home network. i use it for things like clipart, backups of itunes from the laptops, media files, etc.
I just installed a 3rd hard drive and have been planning to set it up as a Time Machine drive for my Mac Pro. I have several questions though.

I assume when I do this it will just work as a Time Machine drive for my main system/startup drive, correct?

Is there a way I can use Time Machine for the 2nd drive in my system? In a sense setting up two Time Machine backups, one from the main drive to this new backup drive and the 2nd from the server drive to a 4th drive I can add in the future?

If the 2nd question is a No, is there a way I can set it up so that Time Machine simply backs up both the main drive and that 2nd, server drive, to the Time Machine drive? I really prefer not to use this option since both drives are 1TB and the hard drive I have just gotten as the time machine drive is 1.5TB. I think that should be okay for my main drive since it is only 30% used or so but with backing both onto it I don't think I have enough space to do it well.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2010, 05:01 AM

By default, Time Machine backs up all directly attached drives.

Time Machine only allows a single backup drive. If you want a second backup set (e.g. a second backup of a different drive), you'll need to use a different software.

I don't understand the last paragraph.

bmcgonag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2010, 12:04 AM

Spheric is right. Time Machine will only backup one time. Not to multiple drives. You can use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to backup from any connected source to any connected destination as long as it's formatted as HFS+. I just found a new one today I want to try called CrashPlan, they have a Mac, Linux, and Windows version, that will backup to any source you want, whether through local, usb, network, internet, whatever.

These might be a couple of better options for you to look into.
Brian <- That's me
www.osxtechtips.com

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 31, 2010, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
By default, Time Machine backs up all directly attached drives.
I did not know this. I can stop worrying about my client that back up with time machine, but moved their iPhoto library onto the drive in bay 2. For some reason I assumed TM only backed up the boot volume.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2010, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
I did not know this. I can stop worrying about my client that back up with time machine, but moved their iPhoto library onto the drive in bay 2. For some reason I assumed TM only backed up the boot volume.
I noticed as well that TM included all my external volumes for the backup.
I guess that's the default setting if you do a fresh install of Snow Leopard.

I'm not sure if that was the default in Leopard. So it might be possible that *if* the TM got started in Leopard, and *then* upgraded to SL, doesn't include ext. volumes.

Just a hypothesis.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2010, 04:08 AM

Nope.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2010, 11:55 AM

Nope what ? Please be more vague.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2011, 12:14 AM

No, it was the default in Leopard, and thus the entire premise of the post is wrong.

Which part of that went over your head?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2011, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
No, it was the default in Leopard, and thus the entire premise of the post is wrong.

Which part of that went over your head?
Geez, do you have to be so arrogant even on the first day of a new year ?

I explicitly said "I'm not sure", so please stop being an ass about it.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2011, 11:27 AM

What? Oh sorry.

I thought you'd said I was being vague.

Oy. Whatever - no offense intended. Apologies for being snappy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules