Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Purchasing iPhone 4 at Radio Shack

Purchasing iPhone 4 at Radio Shack
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2010, 05:41 AM

I saw about the sale Radio Shack is having this week on the iPhone 4 and want to buy 2 iPhone 4's, the 32GB version.
I'm in Denver, CO and called around 12 stores today and none of them had it in stock at first. Actually many told me I would not find it anywhere in Denver but of the last few I called two had it in stock but only the 16GB version.
Two of them offered to have me come in and put an order in it. They both said I'd have to come in in person and once I do once I do one said they'd look elsewhere in the state and likely could get one. The other place told me that once I put an order in it'll ship straight from the warehouse to my house and I should have it in 2 days.
I finally went to the Radio Shack closest to me figuring I could simply get them ordered there and sent to my house. When I got there they seemed to know nothing about it and told me they could just simply take my name and # and call me if they come in but they said the price is only for if I buy by Saturday and likely they won't get any in.
Has anyone found a good way to get them? I definitely want to get one at these prices and I went to the website but seems you can't order them online. Is there a way to have them shipped to my home or is there another way I can get them for this price from Radio Shack or another place?
Thank you for your help.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 9, 2010, 07:31 AM

Your first problem is that you were interested in doing business with Radio Shack. The brand has severely degraded over the years-today it isn't even a very good cell phone store. You've gone to a lot of trouble to find out that Radio Shack isn't particularly well organized or coordinated-this is at the corporate level. What sort of "great price" are they offering? It certainly can't be making an impression on the local stores, if they have no idea what you're talking about when you visit the stores. Is the "deal" worth all the time you've already invested in not getting the phones you've wanted to buy?

Seriously, Radio Shack and serious hardware don't seem to belong in the same sentence anymore.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2010, 07:35 AM

LOL, this so sounds like RadioCrap.

I worked there for a fe months once, seems like nothing has changed.

-t

-Q-
Dec 9, 2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Is the "deal" worth all the time you've already invested in not getting the phones you've wanted to buy?
Taken at face value, yes the deal is worth it.

The relevant bits:
From now until December 11, Radio Shack is slashing $50 off iPhone prices and unprecedented trade-in credits of up to $125 for a functional 3GS phone.
However, the obvious reality is that Radio Shack is quite incompetent and as good as it sounds on paper, that deal will likely be impossible to take advantage of.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2010, 12:26 PM

Back off the Shack!

Where else am I supposed to buy resistors?
that's across the street from me...

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2010, 04:09 AM

Radio Shack's iphone deal worked for me, although I did have to travel about 30 miles from home to find one.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Back off the Shack!

Where else am I supposed to buy resistors?
that's across the street from me...
They actually still have resistors? What a throw back! None of the stores around me have anyone working there that know what a resistor is...
Originally Posted by quesera View Post
Radio Shack's iphone deal worked for me, although I did have to travel about 30 miles from home to find one.
I'm glad for you, but I think you've had an exceptional experience-even with the long drive. As noted above, current-day Radio Shack is not terribly competent at much of anything. I'm sad that this is the case, but that's my experience.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2010, 12:54 PM

They actually still have resistors? What a throw back! None of the stores around me have anyone working there that know what a resistor is...
Apparently my store has "the guy". If I ask a question about genuine electronics they'll always say something like "such and such just went through and sorted all the drawers yesterday, but he's not here now".

I think it's more likely they keep him chained up in the back.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2010, 01:10 PM

I buy resistors at Radio Shack all the time. Their LEDs are crap though.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2010, 01:15 PM

I bought some 10 years ago. They were way easier to smoke than I thought they would be. I've stayed away since.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2010, 01:16 PM

None of the stores around me have anyone working there that know what a resistor is...
Well, technically, they should know, since it's part of their self-study training.
They need to know what basic electronics components like resistors, transistors, capacitors etc are.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2010, 01:18 PM

I'm just happy they don't ask for my address any more.

Seriously dude, I'm spending like, 23¢.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm just happy they don't ask for my address any more.

Seriously dude, I'm spending like, 23¢.
But what if you have a warranty claim for your 23¢ diode ?

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 25, 2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Well, technically, they should know, since it's part of their self-study training.
They need to know what basic electronics components like resistors, transistors, capacitors etc are.

-t
I agree that they need to know this stuff. Unfortunately, the Radio Shack sales dude/dudette quality assurance program skimps on basic electronics-apparently in favor of various cell phone rate plans.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2010, 11:15 AM

I agree that they need to know this stuff. Unfortunately, the Radio Shack sales dude/dudette quality assurance program skimps on basic electronics-apparently in favor of various cell phone rate plans.
Actually, it's more the pay structure.

Since you are paid on commission, a 5% commission on electronic parts is not as desirable than a $20 flat-rate commission (or whatever it is now) for a cell phone plan.

Just think of it: what's easier to cell - a cell phone or $400 worth of transistors ?

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 25, 2010, 12:50 PM

Just think of it: what's easier to cell - a cell phone or $400 worth of transistors ?

-t
With that kind of incentive, they're eventually going to have to stop selling discrete components because the sales dudes won't know enough about the components to actually sell them. The term "self fulfilling prophecy" comes to mind here... Tandy made some bone-headed decisions (doing their own advertising was a big one), but "the new 'Shack" is swirling around the drain with this commission policy. Too bad; the only truly full-service component suppliers here in San Antonio either don't do retail or are a pain to get to.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2010, 12:55 PM

Well, this has been long coming.

Radioshack today has nothing in common with Radioshack from 20 years ago.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2010, 12:59 PM

Almost all techs I know have long switched to online orders.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 25, 2010, 03:20 PM

Well, this has been long coming.

Radioshack today has nothing in common with Radioshack from 20 years ago.

-t
Ain't it the truth.

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Almost all techs I know have long switched to online orders.
For a project where you know everything that's needed in advance, online ordering works perfectly well. For a repair job, waiting for parts is extremely annoying and frustrating.

I recall browsing Radio Shack's components for ideas for my next hobby project, and having any number of ideas pop out of just seeing a component assortment on the shelf. And I'll admit to being geeky enough to have several of those old Radio Shack "engineer's notebooks" full of projects based on various components. Many of these were written by Forrest M. Mims III, a notable engineer and scientist. I guess those were the days...

Jack-o-Bower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2010, 07:50 PM

Surprising that RadioShack is still brick-and-mortar, they should really close down non-revenue locations and be a pure e-commerce. Anyways back to the question in hand, i think that RadioShack deal is over and you should offer an iPhone 4 online...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2010, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jack-o-Bower View Post
Surprising that RadioShack is still brick-and-mortar, they should really close down non-revenue locations and be a pure e-commerce.
Pure e-commerce isn't where it's at for cell phone sales.

Cell phones is still pretty much a brick & mortar business.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 28, 2010, 07:47 AM

Pure e-commerce isn't where it's at for cell phone sales.

Cell phones is still pretty much a brick & mortar business.

-t
I have to agree. Just about everyone wants to be able to handle a new phone before they buy it. Everyone I work with has said they would not have bought a new phone if they hadn't been able to try it out at the store-especially smart phones. Note that my current coworkers are not in a tech field; they just want particular functionality. And once the person gets to fondle experience the phone, they like to walk out of the store with it rather than wait for delivery. I think cell phone buying is both a brick & mortar business and an "instant gratification" experience.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2011, 05:41 PM

Even CEO Can't Figure Out How RadioShack Still In Business | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

"FORT WORTH, TX—Despite having been on the job for nine months, RadioShack CEO Julian Day said Monday that he still has 'no idea' how the home electronics store manages to stay open."

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2011, 07:30 PM

I won't even buy batteries from radio shack, much less an iphone4.

Your first problem is that you were interested in doing business with Radio Shack. The brand has severely degraded over the years-today it isn't even a very good cell phone store. You've gone to a lot of trouble to find out that Radio Shack isn't particularly well organized or coordinated-this is at the corporate level. What sort of "great price" are they offering? It certainly can't be making an impression on the local stores, if they have no idea what you're talking about when you visit the stores. Is the "deal" worth all the time you've already invested in not getting the phones you've wanted to buy?

Seriously, Radio Shack and serious hardware don't seem to belong in the same sentence anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules