Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Persistent click-on-to-close button issue

Persistent click-on-to-close button issue
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2013, 05:41 PM

A year or so ago I installed some app that turned out not to be needed, don't remember which one, it was a Macgasm deal. I deleted it, but it left behind the red dot you click to close a window. The thing has persisted from my iMac 27" to my current Mini and 27"" Nixeus display, through all the ML upgrades, safe mode restarts, DiskWarrior rebuild, emptying the caches etc. Obviously it's something I can live with, but it would be nice to banish this ghost by understanding it.

Rats, the image is not coming through. It's a screenshot jpg.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2013, 07:45 AM

A few musingsā€¦

Could the original/miscreant app be RedQuits RedQuits Makes the Red Close Button on Mac Actually Quit Applications?

If so, perhaps you can search out & delete the remaining pieces of that rascal; or, drop a line to the developer re deleting.

Also, perhaps a look at your LogIn Items & StartUp Items will yield a clue.

And, might that rascal be a Script?

If all else fails, maybe the folks at Macgasm will help.

In any event, please post back the secret of your success (or not).
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2013, 05:39 PM

pendragon, thank you for your input. Actually not only did I not install RedQuits, I would not want it, just my pref

If it is a script, how do I find it?

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2013, 03:17 AM

Jmiddel,

To find a script, look in: /Users/Your Name/Library/Scripts.

Might you have the sales receipt from the original purchase? If so, that would (should) have the name.

While I have no experience with Macgasm, they may well have record of your purchase. If so, resolution is near.

Alas, I fear that without know the name of that rascal, finding the fix will be quite a chore.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

ryan42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2013, 04:13 PM

Can you upload your screenshot to imgur.com or something? That would be helpful to see.

Forum Links
Forum Rules